PDA

View Full Version : iPod question - new generation Nano vs Shuffle

ciaobella
10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi there - hoping someone can give me suggestions between the Shuffle and 1 gig Nano (new generation on both). My birthday is just around the corner and my husband wants to get me one.

I like the look of the Shuffle -- it is small and perfect for running, but I am worried about not being able to see the name of the song that is playing or to search for a particular song. Anyone have one of these - what is your experience?

The other option is the 1 gig Nano -- if I go with this option, I will have to get the arm band for running, which I am not as crazy about (I don't want to hold it either, I much prefer to clip it to my shorts), but I like that it has a display. Does it tell you the song that is playing and can you search and play a particular song?

I know, I know I am a total iPod newbie, but with baby #2 due in February, I know that I will be getting lots of use out of one of these as I try to work off the baby weight!

I appreciate any suggestions you can give. Thanks!

Anne

BillK
10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd get a Nano - there's TONS of accessories for them - I'm sure there's a small case that has a belt clip on it you could use. Plus you can store photos on a Nano (if that's important to you). I'd get the biggest (gb-wise) Nano you could afford though - 1gb is not "that" much really. And yes the display shows the song that's playing and you can scroll through your entire library and pick what you want. You can also create playlists as well.

edit: like this one for example http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/12.RSLID?mco=EE33B311&nplm=TF497LL%2FA

egoldber
10-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I have a Nano and a Shuffle and MUCH prefer the Nano. We actually got the Shuffle for free as a promotion for buying something else and I started with that. I very quickly became frustrated with not being able to pick the songs I wanted, or create playlists or see what I was listening too.

My Nano doesn't have a ton of memory, I want to say 2 GB and thats plenty for me. I would be hesitant about a 1 GB Nano. I usually don't fill all 2 GB, but I easily fill 1 GB.

BillK
10-09-2006, 12:22 PM
wow - my old 20gb ipod is busting at the seams - that's the only reason I haven't got a Nano yet - but I do see they have an 8gb now - I might be able to deal with that.

ciaobella
10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I honestly don't need much in terms of storage space. Up until now I was just using an AM/FM tuner walkman for my work outs! I mispoke in my first post - the Shuffle is 1 GB and the Nano starts at 2 GB. I might look into the 4 GB though, just for cushion. I just don't think I would mind adding and deleting music. My DH on the other hand would need tons of space ... and now that I am looking at the price differences, I guess it makes sense to get something a little bigger to have some room to grow. Thanks again!

Edited to correct sizes.

egoldber
10-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm not a huge music listener. I mainly use it to listen to NPR podcasts. :) I do have a few albums I keep on there, but not much.

CharmedOne
10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd go with the Nano, especially if you want to look at and choose the songs being played. The Shuffle is really more for the person who doesn't care what's playing as long as they have something to listen to while working out. Does that make sense?

Are you planning to share it with your DH? If he needs a ton more space and if you can afford it, I suggest getting a full sized iPod for him. I have a huge music and podcast collection, and though I may not listen to every single track, I prefer to have my entire collection with me wherever I go. I have a 5GB non-Apple MP3 player, and my collection is about 5 times that amount and growing!

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif 16 months

casey118
10-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Great present! I love mine....

I actually have both, and love them for different reasons. I bought a shuffle first and put only my running songs on it. I sometimes leave it around my neck if I'm not going too far, otherwise I clip it to my waistband. I think it is perfect for running. I would not want a shuffle to listen to in general- it would bug me that I couldn't pick what song I was going to listen to, for example.

I use my nano the rest of the time and if you can only buy one I would buy the nano. The full display is far superior, and you would probably get used to the armband. I don't like to run with my nano, although I have an idea for how it could work. My suggestion would be to put songs you like to run to in a separate playlist, and then choose the playlist when you are working out. Otherwise you have to either choose what artist/album you want to listen to, which would be a pain when running (unless you want an excuse for a break!) and boring to listen to the same artist song after song IMO, or you could shuffle all songs which for me would be far too much diversity when running. I have a variety of songs (pop, hip hop, glam rock, classic rock, techno, etc.) that have a strong beat that I like to run to, but it isn't the list I would listen to in other situations. The only downside is I don't know if you can shuffle the songs in the playlist, so you would have to revise it often so you don't get bored with the same songs in the same order.
HTH!