PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to New York

miselanis
10-10-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm traveling to New York in November with my 20 month old son and my 3 month old daughter. Will have assistance from my mom and sister, thankfully. Any advice on visiting NY with two little ones?

I purchased a seat for my son b/c he gets antsy, but do I need to put him in a car seat carrier?

Any suggestions on how I can keep him entertained? What toys, gadgets, etc. has worked for your child?

Would you recommend bringing a double stroller or a single stroller and then sling my daughter?

Thanks!

Elaine

cmdunn1972
10-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Elaine, I haven't been to NYC since my son was born (because I worry that I wouldn't be able to put his car seat in a taxi), but I can answer your first question. Definately bring his car seat along. You might also want to look into getting a Travelmate to help you get the car seat through the airport. The Travelmate attaches like a dolly to the back of the car seat, essentially turning it into a stroller. They're made by GoGoKidz:

http://www.safeandsecurebaby.com/GoGo-Kidz-Travelmate-by-GoGo-Babyz-pr-16233.html

HTH!

Lynnie
10-10-2006, 12:38 PM
We usually bring the double stroller, and put the big old britax car seat in one seat, and a child in the other. So, you could sling the baby, put your son in the stroller, and the car seat (with a diaper bag sitting in it) in the second seat of the double stroller. I would bring the car seat, cause its easier to keep him seated in the plane that way. (and you could put the baby there if DS wants to get up for a bit).

A portable dvd player has worked for my little guy - I usually get a cd of his favorite performer at that time (wiggles, barney, etc). I have also resorted to - hangs head in shame - lollipops. I also bring books and crayons, and matchbox cars, but they are largely ignored. Snacks are good to have. raisins, cheerios, apples, etc.

When we go to new york, it is to visit family, and we haven't really tried to take both kids to the city. If I were to try that, I would probably pick up a $10 umbrella stroller once I got there (if you will be staying in the outskirts where they have shops where you can get a $10 stroller, or would buy one and just check it at the airport), and would use that and a sling to go exploring in the city cause the double could be cumbersome, depending on what kind it is, and how you want to travel.

Have fun, and enjoy the bagels. yum.

miselanis
10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Thank you for the replies! I think the hardest part will definitely be keeping DS entertained on the flight. I'm afraid he'll be too disruptive to others, but what can you do, right? The snacks sound like a good idea. In regards to the DVD player though, did you use headphones? I'm not sure if DS will keep the headphones on his head...he hates putting things on his head. Is it too disruptive if I let the sound play out loud?

I think I'll try and go with the single stroller and sling. I'm just imagining more chaos with a double stroller going through the streets in Times Square. Maybe with three adults we can take turns holding DD if one gets tired.

Elaine

miselanis
10-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Colleen, have you used Travelmate? Is it pretty sturdy? Easy to manuever?

Would I be able to use this as a stroller through the city or just through the airport?

Elaine

super_grape
10-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I just wanted to add that if he still fits within the rear facing
limits of your seat, I would consider installing it on the plane rear facing.
I flew with our oldest around that age...she was 2 already...and she sat in her Roundabout forward facing. I had the WORST time trying to keep her feet off the seat in front of us, the seat sat her up at just the right level to torture the person in front of her :P ! So I spent most of the flight holding a leg...or two, lol.
Also, if you do take the car seat and install it forward facing,
you will need to flip the female end of the belt around so that
the lever you lift to unhook it is facing the back of the plane seat
otherwise it is REALLY hard to undo it as that lever will be tight up against the car seat.

We have flown w/o a seat and with the seat it was soooooo much easier! Our DD accepted it as she does riding in the car and we didn't have to wrestle with her (aside from the legs issue :) ).
A portable DVD player also helps! Oh yeah...and treats :) .......

Have a GREAT trip!!!!
Holly

(If you'll be doing some sightseeing along 5th Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman (58th and 5th, i think)has REALLY NICE AND CLEAN washrooms with a sitting area if you need a spot to feed the baby.)

cmdunn1972
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Yes, I have one. The handle is like the one used on rollaway luggage. There are also only two wheels. I think it would be most useful for getting through the airport. I wouldn't use it on city sidewalks. Plus, there are no breaks.

miselanis
10-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Unfortunately he won't fit rear facing. Legs are too long, although he likes to cross his legs, so maybe...I guess it couldn't hurt to try it that way first. If he likes it, then I won't have to worry about the leg kicking. Thanks for that advice...wouldn't have thought of it!

Have you tried the DVD player with headphones or without? I don't think DS will keep headphones on him, but then turning on the volume will disrupt others. Wonder if he'll watch it without sound?

Elaine

super_grape
10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
FWIW, my oldest sat rear facing in her Marathon until just a few months ago when she reached 32.5 lbs.(max on Britax seats is 33).
She LOVED it and still asks if she can sit "upside down" :) !
It wouldn't hurt to give it a try....it's also a much safer way to
travel!

My DD wouldn't wear the headphones either...but on all the flights we've been on no one that I know of has ever complained about the noise. Hey, it's better than a screaming toddler right :D !

HTH!
Holly