PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please...flying to Singapore with 18 mo DD!

wendyp
10-10-2006, 07:02 PM
My mom and I, are taking DD on a girls trip to Singapore next month. I would love to hear suggestions for toys/activities to keep her occupied. The flight is like 19 hrs or so.

Please let me know what was/wasn't successful for your long flight with a toddler!

TIA!

gatorsmom
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Wow, 19 hours. We took our 18mo old on a 8 hour flight to Hawaii last year and the things that worked best for us was the personal DVD player with NEW, never-been-seen-before-by-our-son videos and since that only had a charge of 3 hours, my husband's DVD compatible laptop with a charge of another 3 hours, some brand new very small toys and Benadryl which we used with the Pediatrician's blessing. That made him sleep for the first 3 hours. So, it was a tolerable trip. Also, he had his own plane seat and we brought along his car seat which he falls asleep in easily because it's familiar and comfortable for him. I HIGHLY suggest bringing DD's own carseat. Another advantage to that is she will be WELL strapped in so if you want to sleep on the plane, you can rest assured that she'll stay put in her seat.

BTW, test the Benadryl at home before using it on the plane because it makes some children hyper active (definitely don't want that!)

Good luck!

wolverine2
10-10-2006, 09:08 PM
If you search, you will find lots of advice on previous threads. We took DS to Australia last summer at 20 months. He wasn't interested in half of what we brought, but it was good to have the variety so that he was at least interested in something. The best tools by far were a DVD player (and extra battery), benadryl, trips to the back of the plane, and tearing up newspaper and putting it in the barf bag (who knew).

pixelprincess
10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
DS and I are flying to India in early Nov. I am pretty nervous about flying solo with an active boy. I've been told that they have tv's for every seat so I am hoping that DS will be entertained by the Cartoons at least a part of the way. If not, I was going to bring our DVD player which has worked well in the past. Otherwise, I plan on bringing a few toys that he hasn't seen before with the hope that the novelty of new toys will keep him occupied.

Good luck!

pixelprincess
10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
DS and I are flying to India in early Nov. I am pretty nervous about flying solo with an active boy. I've been told that they have tv's for every seat so I am hoping that DS will be entertained by the Cartoons at least a part of the way. If not, I was going to bring our DVD player which has worked well in the past. Otherwise, I plan on bringing a few toys that he hasn't seen before with the hope that the novelty of new toys will keep him occupied.

Good luck!

dhano923
10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
I took DS to Singapore last year when he was 17 months old. He was no problem at all. Are you flying Singapore Airlines? We always fly SIA (I have family in Singapore so I visit every couple of years) and they are great with the personal entertainment centers at each seat, plus very child friendly. When you board, they give you diapers, wipes, and a couple of kid friendly snacks and toys. DS thought that was great. I fly out of LAX, and always take the 11:30pm flight -- that way you can sleep on the flight. I gave DS Benedryl when we boarded, then he went to sleep about 1 hour in, and slept all the way to Taipei (14 hr flight), then I let him run around there for an hour (1 hour stop) and then fell asleep again on the 4 hour flight to S'pore. On the way back, he slept most of the time too.

When DD is awake, you can walk her up and down the aisles and also go stand in the window areas by the lavatories -- DS loved to see the clouds and the rising sun as we flew! I did take some small quoet toys -- a couple small books, some pop beads, and a coloring books.crayons. He didn't want any of them. He did watch the Spongebob Movie on TV though. LOL

If you are flying SIA, get the kid's meal, not the toddler meal. The kid's meals have pasta, nuggets, fish sticks, etc but the toddler meal is basically stage 3 baby food (my SIL is a flight attendant on SIA and I get the scoop from her LOL). DS actually really enjoyed the kid's meal spaghetti meal!

I'm sure DD will have a blast in S'pore -- there is so much for young kids to do there. Check out the Night Safari at the zoo (only one in the world), Sentosa Island, the Crocodile Farm, etc. Have fun!

dhano923
10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
I took DS to Singapore last year when he was 17 months old. He was no problem at all. Are you flying Singapore Airlines? We always fly SIA (I have family in Singapore so I visit every couple of years) and they are great with the personal entertainment centers at each seat, plus very child friendly. When you board, they give you diapers, wipes, and a couple of kid friendly snacks and toys. DS thought that was great. I fly out of LAX, and always take the 11:30pm flight -- that way you can sleep on the flight. I gave DS Benedryl when we boarded, then he went to sleep about 1 hour in, and slept all the way to Taipei (14 hr flight), then I let him run around there for an hour (1 hour stop) and then fell asleep again on the 4 hour flight to S'pore. On the way back, he slept most of the time too.

When DD is awake, you can walk her up and down the aisles and also go stand in the window areas by the lavatories -- DS loved to see the clouds and the rising sun as we flew! I did take some small quoet toys -- a couple small books, some pop beads, and a coloring books.crayons. He didn't want any of them. He did watch the Spongebob Movie on TV though. LOL

If you are flying SIA, get the kid's meal, not the toddler meal. The kid's meals have pasta, nuggets, fish sticks, etc but the toddler meal is basically stage 3 baby food (my SIL is a flight attendant on SIA and I get the scoop from her LOL). DS actually really enjoyed the kid's meal spaghetti meal!

I'm sure DD will have a blast in S'pore -- there is so much for young kids to do there. Check out the Night Safari at the zoo (only one in the world), Sentosa Island, the Crocodile Farm, etc. Have fun!

mommy111
10-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I flew to South Africa with DD alone (and we couldn't afford the extra seat for her), I was terrified about how bad it would be but it was just fine. So don't stress. I had a DVD player that we didn't use, I didn't give her benadryl and i didn't take a ton of toys either. It was still not horrible.
What we did do:
We took a night flight...she slept 2/3rds of the way
We got an aisle seat so that we could get in and out w/o bothering anyone
We walked up and down the aisle and stood at the windows on the airplane doors
We took a whole bunch of snacks and a few books
For about 15-20 mins we just turned on the in-flight TV on the back of the seat but the cartoons bored her
We did use the headphones for the inflight music and danced to that (well, she did, I didn't :) )
Hope you have a lot of fun!

mommy111
10-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I flew to South Africa with DD alone (and we couldn't afford the extra seat for her), I was terrified about how bad it would be but it was just fine. So don't stress. I had a DVD player that we didn't use, I didn't give her benadryl and i didn't take a ton of toys either. It was still not horrible.
What we did do:
We took a night flight...she slept 2/3rds of the way
We got an aisle seat so that we could get in and out w/o bothering anyone
We walked up and down the aisle and stood at the windows on the airplane doors
We took a whole bunch of snacks and a few books
For about 15-20 mins we just turned on the in-flight TV on the back of the seat but the cartoons bored her
We did use the headphones for the inflight music and danced to that (well, she did, I didn't :) )
Hope you have a lot of fun!

wolverine2
10-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I forgot about the headphones! They took up a good 2+ hours. Seriously, it's not that bad, and my DS spent most of the time playing with things already on the airplane. We weren't even on an airline with an in-seat TV thing, so if you are, I'm sure that will eat up lots of time!!

wolverine2
10-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I forgot about the headphones! They took up a good 2+ hours. Seriously, it's not that bad, and my DS spent most of the time playing with things already on the airplane. We weren't even on an airline with an in-seat TV thing, so if you are, I'm sure that will eat up lots of time!!

Neatfreak
10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I've used many of those suggestions on trips with my toddler. On our trip (about ten hours in the air), stickers were popular. Lots of them.

Neatfreak
10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I've used many of those suggestions on trips with my toddler. On our trip (about ten hours in the air), stickers were popular. Lots of them.