PDA

View Full Version : CL response, what are the chances this is a scam?

DrSally
10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I posted several cans of formula for very very cheap on CL, just trying to get rid of them (we BF and DS is allergic to milk based formula). I got a response "needy family needs similac" from Colorado. They said they don't have enough money to buy formula at the store, but my price is attractive and they'll pay for shipping. OK, my heartstrings are tugging, and I would even send for free if I knew this was the real deal. I'm just wary of shipping sight unseen, as it were. If it were local, I'd feel better. What are the chances this is a scam, and they'll resell the stuff? I just feel guilty now if I don't do it.

megs4413
10-11-2006, 07:19 PM
you never know with these things...
but if they're scamming formula ads to make money...they probably really need the money...

cmdunn1972
10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
CL suggests that sellers should be wary of buyers who aren't local.

I would also be wary if the formula you are selling is powdered since powdered formula has been bought by meth producers. It's possible that they wouldn't be feeding their baby with it, but using it to cut meth instead. Since they aren't local, it's harder to verify how it would be used.

I would decline the offer on the grounds that you prefer to sell to locals only.

goodnightmoon
10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Isn't formula covered by WIC? So, if this is truly a needy family, they can get assistance at least in that way, I think.

Laura
mommy to Eva Marie 2/16/05

DrSally
10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Wow, I never thought of that. I sold some to a local man who has a 3 month old baby, and I could just tell by his whole demeanor that he was really a father. I just can't tell over an email--it was so curt that I just had a feeling something may be off. That's why I posted here. Thanks.

pookeytbear
10-11-2006, 08:24 PM
What is a CL? Sorry I could not find on abbrevation list

Twin Mom
10-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Craig's List www.craigslist.org

cmdunn1972
10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Glad I could help you think of another angle! :)

DrSally
10-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes! I thought it was odd that he stated, "we can't afford to buy formula in the store". If they're really so destitute that they can't access social services, they prob wouldn't have a computer. I'm thinking it's a scam.

JenDC
10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Can you donate the formula to a food bank or shelter instead?

punkrockmama
10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
It's possible that they wouldn't be feeding their
>baby with it, but using it to cut meth instead.

What in the crap does meth NOT have in it? I swear, it's disgusting to think about.

I agree that it's probaby a scam. If not for drugs then maybe to just resell it. I also agree that if they were in that bad of a situation then it's fishy they've got an internet connection and time to browse all over CL. Jerks.

Glad you thought twice and caught this.

DrSally
10-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm selling it super cheap, but still for some $$ just to be sure someone doesn't resell it. If I don't sell it all in a few weeks, I prob will donate for sure. I just have to find the food bank around here.