PDA

View Full Version : Preschool fieldtrips...

muskiesusan
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
If your preschool takes the kids on fieldtrips, how is it done? Do you drive your own child and other children in your car, or do they get a bus? If parents attend the outings, can you bring siblings?

Our school has gotten buses in the past, but for the most part use parent drivers. Apparently, I am the only parent who has raised concerns at the idea of someone else installing my carseat in their car (not to mention someone I don't know driving Nick). Siblings are not allowed, so that makes it difficult for me to be a chaperone with Alex.

So, I was wondering if this was common and what other preschools do, if they even have fieldtrips.

Thanks!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

luvmypeanut
10-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Our school charters buses and parent chaperones are asked to volunteer. I have a problem with 3 yr olds sitting in buses without seatbelts. I think they take 2 trips a year so I'm just going to deal with it when the time comes. Hopefully they'll let me drive her, but at the same time, I know she would love to be on the bus with her friends. And I'm pretty sure our school does not allow siblings either. She's in a private school (preK-12).

Roleysmom
10-12-2006, 12:21 PM
The preprimary classes take one field trip at the beginning of each year. The school hires school buses and two parents from each class ride on the bus with the kids, teachers and assistants. The seats have seat belts, btw. They also ask for parent volunteers and those parents carpool and drive to the field trip site. They take groups of children once at the field trip site, but the parents who drive do not drive the children (including their own.) All the kids are on the bus.

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

SnuggleBuggles
10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
We have the option of driving ourselves or having the child driven by another parent. If ds were going with another parent (which he hasn't...1st trip is next week and I am driving) then I would personally install his seat in their car.

Siblings are Ok for the 1st 2 scheduled trips. Since that is all that we have on the books I don't know how future trips will be handled. Guess it will depend where it is.

Beth

crl
10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Last year they did a field trip at the end of the year. It was on a bus with the harnesses for little kids. All parents were welcome on the trip and those who came went on the bus. I don't know about bringing a sibling along as DS is currently an only and the other parent who came along had only older children who were in school.

boogiemom
10-12-2006, 01:37 PM
One of us has always driven our DS. I think he's only been on two field trips. I wouldn't be comfortable having someone else install my carseat in their car. We can bring siblings but we haven't had to yet. One of us gets to go on the field trip and the other stays home with DS2. My DH is good about taking mornings off for these special occasions.

spanannie
10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
We just had my DS's first field trip (they don't start this til the 4 yr old class). Several parents volunteer to drive (usually 4 kids per car + the driving parent and a riding parent or teacher). It is the parent's responsibility to put their child's seat into the driver's car. Two of the children that I drove had parents who chose not to have them in car seats in my car, and that was their decision. However, one of the kids is HUGE and I don't know what seat he'd actually fit in. DS is in the 50% and this kid has to be at least 5 in taller than him and 10+ lbs heavier. He is turning 5 this month, though.

None of the parents seem the least bit concerned about their kids riding in another person's car.

schums
10-12-2006, 02:55 PM
At our preschool, parents each drive their own kid, and are expected to stay with them during the field trip. Most of the time, siblings are welcome, but if it is a pay trip, you do have to pay for them. If sibs can't come, we're given warning about a month in advance. Our preschool averages about 1 field trip a month (some months it's 2, others don't have any). We just went to the apple orchard (sibs allowed) and are going to a bakery in 2 weeks (no sibs due to space constraint).

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

newmomto3kids
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Lily's first preschool: field trips on buses, no carseats, no siblings. Very frustrating and scary for me.

The preschool I moved them to the following year: No field trips. I like that much better. They take walks, play in the playground, plant flowers etc. Much less worrying for me and liability for them.

And yes, I did let Lily go on the field trips, but was very relieved every time to see the bus pull up in one piece. That was hard. I think I would do it differently if I had to do it again.

newmomto3kids
10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
They didn't have them in *any* carseat at all in your car. I would not have driven them if that is the case. But, I am in Illinois where kids have to be in boosters until age 8. I guess it would be different if you don't have that law, but my first reaction was "Yikes"!!

Oregonmother
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Our 1st fieldtrip is in 2 weeks to the Pumpkin patch, and I am driving DS and have volunteered to take 2 other kids if needed. I am going on the fieldtrip, because I do not want anyone driving my DS that I do not know. Our preschool requires a background check and a minimum amount of insurance if you are going to drive students other than your own. Our preschool allows sibling to come along, and I will be bringing DD. If siblings were not allowed, I would have kept DS home for the day from preschool.

o_mom
10-12-2006, 04:02 PM
That would be a no-go for me. Boosters are required by law here until 8 and no way am I getting a ticket because of another's decision. I would invest in a couple of low back boosters ($15/ea) for kids that rode with me and just be clear that everyone in my car must be properly restrained.

mamaharsh
10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Our school relies on parents to drive and most who go take at least one other child. Usually the non-driving (and sometimes non-attending) parent installs the seat in the driving parent's car. Siblings are sometimes welcome, but not always.

Nine of Nate's classmates were in his class last year and I now feel like I know the parents well enough for him to ride with them anytime. Once or twice a week, he either goes home with a friend or I bring a friend home with us, so I feel like I really know and trust most of the other parents.

kdeunc
10-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Our pre-school takes occasional field trips(I think DS has been on 3 in the 3 years he has been in school). They use a van (the preschool is on a community college campus and it is their van) and parents must install the car seat when they drop the kid off at school that morning. The teacher has always driven the van in my case and I assume that is the case with all of the classes. I think I would be less comfortable with him in a parents car that I did not know.

janeybwild
10-13-2006, 11:52 AM
We have three 3 year old pre-school field trips planned for the year. They are all local. Each parent is responsible for drop off and pick up of their child at the field trip site. They can arrange a car pool on their own if desired. Three parent volunteers plus 2 teachers for each field trip, no siblings.