PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip furniture delivery people?

dules
10-13-2006, 02:37 PM
DD's big girl bed is coming tomorrow. From what I understand it will be an interstate trucking carrier and they will bring it in and set it up in her room.

In the past, I have tipped movers, and local furniture movers when I've purchased something from CL and had them deliver. But in this case, what is the protocol?

Oh, and this is in NJ, outside NYC, in case there are regional differences (LOL).

TIA!

Mary

jhrabosk
10-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Definitely. (I'm also in NJ, outside NYC.)

When Buy Buy Baby delivered DD's dresser, I think I tipped $10-20.

table4three
10-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm curious how much too. I'll be having furniture delivered in 8 weeks or so - an entire family room of furniture. How much do I tip? And how much extra do I offer to have them take the old loveseat to the basement?

I'm so clueless on this stuff. Thanks (and sorry for hijacking).

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

candybomiller
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
No. Furniture delivery people are paid to do just that: deliver furniture. Then again, I'm in Montana.

Andy, FWIW, I think that tipping has gotten way out of control.

MarisaSF
10-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Depends a little on how many people and how good a job they do. $5-10 apiece for 2 guys. $10-20 for one.

I see you edited with the amount of stuff. The numbers I gave above were for one or two pieces of furniture. I'd adjust up for what you're getting. Maybe $20 per guy, $20-40 for one?

Drag0nflygirl
10-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I sell furniture near Philadelphia. I know tipping is a pretty standard practice here. I agree with pp on amounts. These guys haul heavy stuff around and take the time to set it up for you. Think about how long it would take if you had to do it youself. Also the guys may not be able to take your loveseat depending on the rules of the company, but $20 seems fair if they will.

HTH

Nancy

dules
10-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks Nancy. I'm willing to tip if it's expected; just don't want to do something inappropriate if it's not. :) I do live in the land of Tip Everyone from the babysitter to the garbage man at holiday time, so I tend to err on the side of tipping. lol.

Mary

table4three
10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks!
That is the number I had in my mind. Well worth the $20 to save me and DH from struggling to get the loveseat to the basement!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

Drag0nflygirl
10-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Glad I could help!

jillc
10-13-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm guessing that it differs greatly, depending on where you live.

I was just wondering about this a few weeks ago when we had some new bedroom furniture delivered for DS.

The guys were very nice & set up most of the furniture, but quite honestly, we're not exactly made of money right now, we had already paid the delivery charge, and we have no stairs or tricky hallways to deal with. I figured they're doing the job that they're paid to do & I'm not asking them to do anything really tough like haul the furniture up flights of stairs. I brought each of the guys a big glass of ice water to take with them when they were done, which they gladly accepted. I figured at least a small gesture would be a nice thing to do.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, that's my $0.02.

KBecks
10-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd say it depends on how it goes, but I'd suggest you have some cash on hand and then you can decide after the furniture is moved in if and how much you want to tip. I don't think that it is required, but if they show great care and help you set up, etc. etc. then it would be nice to do. If they're not so great / helpful, then don't.

farleygirl
10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
For one item like the bed, I would go for $10 and a bottle of water :) When we've had lots of items, I've done $40 for a 2-man team.

MarisaSF
10-13-2006, 09:13 PM
The way I look at it is this: the people delivering furniture might not be able to afford the furniture themselves. I wouldn't want them thinking "Man, this family bought a $400 dresser and a $50 lamp and couldn't even "afford" a $5 tip." That's what I'd be thinking myself.

For the pieces we can't afford to buy, have delivered, and tip for, we purchase at IKEA, haul it home, and assemble it ourselves.

Like restaurant waitstaff, I would assume the salary factors in that the workers will receive tips.

Just my 2 cents.

elliput
10-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Candy, I am with you. I didn't tip when I had furniture delivered where I am now. It never ever occurred to me.