PDA

View Full Version : What's cheaper: USPS or UPS?

DrSally
10-15-2006, 08:54 AM
My sister and I regularily send packages back and forth from CT to MN (and vice versa). I mean big boxes of maternity or baby clothes, etc. I bought a travel n trundle off CL, and need to send it to her, bulky but not heavy. Got me thinking, should I be going to UPS instead of the post office? The post office charges an "oversize fee", so a simple birthday present of a baby coat and 2 sweaters ends up costing $11 to ship. Any experience on this? I think UPS charges by distance as well as weight.

daniele_ut
10-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Anything more than a few pounds will generally be cheaper to ship UPS. Same goes for larger boxes. UPS does have fees for oversize packages, and there is a formula on their website that helps you figure out if the package is oversized. They refer to it as dimensional weight:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/dim_weight.html

If a package is very large it may cost a lot to ship, despite not weighing very much. And yes, UPS uses zones to determine rates, so distance does factor in.

Fed Ex and DHL charge the same way, but I have found that DHLs rates are better than the other two

o_mom
10-15-2006, 10:28 AM
What I have found is, in order from cheapest to most expensive is:

DHL
FedEx Ground
USPS
UPS

You can go to each website and put in package weight and dimensions to see what the cost is. DHL is usually cheaper, but we don't have a drop off anywhere close. FedEx ground can be sent from Kinkos, so I usually end up there. USPS is sometimes cheaper on small packages, but not so much on larger ones. UPS is usually just way out of line with everyone else.

HTH!

kellyotn
10-15-2006, 10:48 AM
The best thing is to go the their websites when you have a package. I've found that once something is a certain large size in inches, FedEx is best (like for stroller-size boxes). Smaller stuff, it seems to be pretty close with UPS and USPS - I go with what's easiest. Often, that's USPS's Click-n-Ship. Not always the cheapest, but EASY. ;)

I've never used DHL because I don't know where they have an office here, but my husband once got a bike delivered DHL and it was very cheap for something that large and bulky.

ellies mom
10-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I go to the "Postal Annex" type places where they can ship a bunch of different ways. They will usually work with you to figure out the cheapest way to ship it. For example, last week we had to ship two packages, it was cheaper to ship one through UPS and the other through USPS. Their computer screen kicks up all the prices and delivery dates, so you just choose the one that works for you.

o_mom
10-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Just an FYI for the OP, the "Postal Annex" places charge higher rates than the USPS, UPS, etc than if you go directly to those places. They are a business and charge a commission on top of the rates, sometimes quite a bit.

DrSally
10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've always just used USPS and walked away shaking my head (figuratively) at the charges. I will look into the websites and also see if there's a DHL around here (didn't even think of them). You ladies are always saving me $$$ :)

DebbieJ
10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
USPS has flat rate Priority Boxes that are $8 and change. They're not huge, but great for sending gifts.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

ellies mom
10-15-2006, 11:12 PM
That may be the case but I don't have the time to figure out everyone's price, especially if I don't have the box yet nor a scale to weigh it. I don't mind paying for the convenience.

DrSally
10-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!