PDA

View Full Version : I get paypal, now I need help with shipping!

NatalieM
10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Ok, I got the whole funded/non funded paypal thing down. Now I need tips regarding shipping. I have generally been charging $1 or $2 per item to ship on swap with the exception of shoes. I don't want to overcharge anyone, but I don't want to eat the fees neither. What does everyone do about estimating shipping fees? When I was logged into my paypal acct, theres a link to ship once someone pays but it was charging over $4 when I only charged the seller $2. I was thinking that I could just print the label from paypal, but does it automatically deduct those fees from my acct?

What is the best way/method to go about shipping (through paypal or usps/priority/parcel post)? I really don't want to have to go to the post office every time someone purchases something from me. Any suggestions about what worked best for you would be great. Please help! Thanks :-)

holliam
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Use a scale, weigh the items and give buyers actual shipping costs. I give choice of First Class or Priorty; you can't ship parcel post via Paypal. Then print/ship from Paypal, it deducts the shipping from your account, and you just drop off to mail. Super, super easy.

Holli

daniele_ut
10-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I paid about $20 for a postal scale on Ebay so that I can give actual shipping charges.

If you use the link in payal to ship your items then it will automatically deduct the shipping charges from your account, but you will need to know the weight of the item that you are shipping.

disneymom2
10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I only ship USPS and unless the item is large or heavy I charge $5 to ship. Shipping starts at $4.05 at USPS so I just charge $5 unless I absolutely know it will be exactly $4.05. Sometimes it is as in shipping a small amount of clothing (baby clothing, 1 or 2 items of maternity). I tried using UPS once and it cost me double what I thought it would so I ate the difference! You live and learn!

I don't sell alot, so I go every time I sell something. But, if you are selling alot I would let buyers know you ship out once a week. Pick a day that isn't too busy and just go that one day!

AngelaS
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Invest in the postal scale and ship thru PayPal---it's SO easy! You can chose to ship via UPS or USPS and thru USPS you can ship first class, parcel post, priority and media mail. And if you print your postage on line, you get a reduced rate on delivery confirmation on everything but priority packages--those you get free dc!

I use PP shipping ALL the time and love it!

If you're eating fees, you need to weigh your packages before telling people shipping costs. As time goes on you get better about guessing. :D And yes, shipping charges to mail your packages come right out of PP. :D

NatalieM
10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks ladies! I purchased a postal scale off of ebay. This will make my life so much easier. I appreciate all the tips. :-)

JTsMom
10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
You know you can get free Priority Mail shipping supplies, and free carrier pickup online too, right? Just thought I'd mention in case you didn't. I wish I would have bought a scale when I first started selling- it's the best ebay investment I've made.

AngelaS
10-18-2006, 06:26 AM
I order my non Priority shipping supplies from eBay. Total Shipping Supplies is great to work with. :)

I don't ever schedule carrier pickups, but I do put a note in my mailbox for my carrier. It simply asks her to please come to the door as I have too many packages to fit in my mailbox. She's great about it and every so often we make cookies and share with her. :)