PDA

View Full Version : Warning - 2005 versions still being sold as current in bookstores

manderson018
05-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I am a soon to be dad and both my wife and I went to Border's Books last week (April 2006) and we each bought the Baby Bargains book. (I wanted my own book to read and help out.) We had wrongly assumed that a bookstore would only sell the latest versions. Wrong! My book was the 2006 version and hers was the 2005 book. Both look identical from the front cover as say "New version 6.0." The only way to tell the difference is by looking at tiny version # 6.0 or 6.1 inside the front cover. Even the bookstores can't tell the difference in their systems or when the books are scanned, since the publisher has identical barcodes for both the version 6.1 (2006) and version 6.0 (2005). I have to assume it was done intentionally by the publisher so that the bookstores wouldn't return the 2005 books when the 2006 version came out. If true, that would really bother me and I hope the authors immediately force the publisher to correct this.

All ended well, but this had the makings of a problem. I offered to help my wife register and I was reading the book and suggested the Chico highchair, since it had an "A" rating. You should have seen my wife's reaction when she read her book later that night and the Chico had a C- rating. Needless to say, my credibility was questioned. We figured this out and kudos to Border's Books who accepted a return of my wife's book without question and offered us an additional $5 coupon for our troubles.

Baby Bargains is a great book. Hopefully, no one else will experience this in the future or possibly relied on what they thought was the updated version.

Regards,
Mike

jarrettsmom9705
05-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I've run into the same problem at Barnes & Nobles. I have gone numerous times to get the 2006 version and they only have the 2005.

stefani
09-09-2006, 11:55 PM
I ran into the same thing, but I did check the 2nd. page to check whether it is version 6.1 before I paid, so did not run into a problem.
Barnes & Nobles stock both Version 6.0 and 6.1, and you are correct, the only way to tell is to look into the 2nd. page and see what version it is.

Congratulations on your upcoming parenthood, and best wishes!