PDA

View Full Version : the new necessity... a digital camera.. any suggestions??

duein june2003
02-06-2003, 11:36 PM
My DH and I want to invest in a digital camera before our bundle of joy arrives. Any suggestions as to what to look for or models? Thanks! Ruth

duein june2003
02-06-2003, 11:36 PM
My DH and I want to invest in a digital camera before our bundle of joy arrives. Any suggestions as to what to look for or models? Thanks! Ruth

smilequeen
02-06-2003, 11:49 PM
I love having one, but still like to use my regular 35mm too.

It is the easiest way to share pictures via e-mail, a website, etc.

I have been told to look for
-Zoom...optical zoom is more important...digital zoom can decrease the quality esp. with a lower quality camera.
-Minimum of 3.0 megapixels for the ability to blow the picture up
-A rechargeable battery
-An easy way to download to the computer
-A good quality screen on the back to check out your pictures after you take them
-a larger memory card is a very good idea...the higher the quality the fewer pictures you can save at a time, so you need more memory

All that said, we have an Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom. We love the camera. It's a 5.0 megapixel camera with 3X optical zoom. I forget the digital since I don't use it. It's very small and lightweight. Dowloads pics easily. Downfall is...the software it comes with only allows you to print pics not e-mail, put on a website, etc. It's only $20 to dowload an upgrade, but with a $600 camera, you'd expect that to be included.

We also HAD a Kodak Easy Share, 4.0 megapixel that we loved, but it fell and broke and the store gave us our money back but didn't have another like it which is how we ended up with the Olympus. I slightly preferred the ease of the Kodak...and it is a better value financially.

DH just got a great Canon for taking clinical photos at work(we are both dentists). I forget which model, but it is a 4.0 megapixel and it is also awesome so far.

smilequeen
02-06-2003, 11:49 PM
I love having one, but still like to use my regular 35mm too.

It is the easiest way to share pictures via e-mail, a website, etc.

I have been told to look for
-Zoom...optical zoom is more important...digital zoom can decrease the quality esp. with a lower quality camera.
-Minimum of 3.0 megapixels for the ability to blow the picture up
-A rechargeable battery
-An easy way to download to the computer
-A good quality screen on the back to check out your pictures after you take them
-a larger memory card is a very good idea...the higher the quality the fewer pictures you can save at a time, so you need more memory

All that said, we have an Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom. We love the camera. It's a 5.0 megapixel camera with 3X optical zoom. I forget the digital since I don't use it. It's very small and lightweight. Dowloads pics easily. Downfall is...the software it comes with only allows you to print pics not e-mail, put on a website, etc. It's only $20 to dowload an upgrade, but with a $600 camera, you'd expect that to be included.

We also HAD a Kodak Easy Share, 4.0 megapixel that we loved, but it fell and broke and the store gave us our money back but didn't have another like it which is how we ended up with the Olympus. I slightly preferred the ease of the Kodak...and it is a better value financially.

DH just got a great Canon for taking clinical photos at work(we are both dentists). I forget which model, but it is a 4.0 megapixel and it is also awesome so far.

flagger
02-07-2003, 12:19 AM
A couple of websites to read are www.steves-digicams.com and www.dpreview.com

We bought a Canon G2 4.0 MP (mega-pixel) digital camera in November and we love it.

How are you going to use it? More MP is not always the best unless you are going to be regularly printing 8X10 or larger prints.

Get a camera with the capability of using a rechargeable battery pack or you will be spending on batteries what you are now spending on film.

Also one thing I tell any photographer is to invest in a filter for your camera (and an adapter ring if necessary). It is much cheaper to replace a scratched UV (ultra-violet) filter for $15 than a lens.

flagger
02-07-2003, 12:19 AM
A couple of websites to read are www.steves-digicams.com and www.dpreview.com

We bought a Canon G2 4.0 MP (mega-pixel) digital camera in November and we love it.

How are you going to use it? More MP is not always the best unless you are going to be regularly printing 8X10 or larger prints.

Get a camera with the capability of using a rechargeable battery pack or you will be spending on batteries what you are now spending on film.

Also one thing I tell any photographer is to invest in a filter for your camera (and an adapter ring if necessary). It is much cheaper to replace a scratched UV (ultra-violet) filter for $15 than a lens.

August Mom
02-07-2003, 02:06 AM
We have an Olympus Camedia C-3020 Zoom and we LOVE it. It has 3.2 megapixels, a 3x optical zoom and a 7.5x digital zoom (although we never use the digital zoom). You can use it as a point and shoot camera or you can manually adjust the settings. I find the menu functions easy to navigate and use. Unfortunately, I do not believe that this model is readily available in stores anymore. DS is only 6 months old and it's already been replaced. :( I believe it has been replaced by the C-720 Ultra Zoom shown here: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=2&product=868 I am not sure of all the differences, but one that jumps out from the photo is that it looks like you have to open the flash when you want to use it on the C-720.

We were also considering the Canon S30. DH preferred the Canon. I liked the Olympus. I got to make the final decision because I am the primary photographer in the family. Anyway, we went with the Olympus primarily because of lens quality and the way the Olympus felt in my hand. I liked it because it felt more like a 35mm. However, having now used it for a while, it's really not important IMO that it feel like a 35mm because I never use the viewfinder and never hold the camera up to my face. The Canon is more compact than the Olympus, but the Olympus is by no means bulky.

Uploading pictures is easy - you can do it without ever removing the memory card if you wish.

I second the vote for a larger memory card. With a 128MB Smart Media Card, I can store 169 photos in high quality mode. With the 16MB card that comes with the camera, I can store only 20.

This is a little beyond your question, but we purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements rather than using the basic software. I really like the Adobe program. It's easy to use once you get the hang of it and it has tons of features, allowing you to remove red eye, blemishes and glass glare, sharpen photos, lighten or darken them, remove shadows and do lots of other things.

The sites that Mr. Flagger referenced are very helpful. You can read reviews from those in the industry as well as customers.

HTH

August Mom
02-07-2003, 02:06 AM
We have an Olympus Camedia C-3020 Zoom and we LOVE it. It has 3.2 megapixels, a 3x optical zoom and a 7.5x digital zoom (although we never use the digital zoom). You can use it as a point and shoot camera or you can manually adjust the settings. I find the menu functions easy to navigate and use. Unfortunately, I do not believe that this model is readily available in stores anymore. DS is only 6 months old and it's already been replaced. :( I believe it has been replaced by the C-720 Ultra Zoom shown here: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=2&product=868 I am not sure of all the differences, but one that jumps out from the photo is that it looks like you have to open the flash when you want to use it on the C-720.

We were also considering the Canon S30. DH preferred the Canon. I liked the Olympus. I got to make the final decision because I am the primary photographer in the family. Anyway, we went with the Olympus primarily because of lens quality and the way the Olympus felt in my hand. I liked it because it felt more like a 35mm. However, having now used it for a while, it's really not important IMO that it feel like a 35mm because I never use the viewfinder and never hold the camera up to my face. The Canon is more compact than the Olympus, but the Olympus is by no means bulky.

Uploading pictures is easy - you can do it without ever removing the memory card if you wish.

I second the vote for a larger memory card. With a 128MB Smart Media Card, I can store 169 photos in high quality mode. With the 16MB card that comes with the camera, I can store only 20.

This is a little beyond your question, but we purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements rather than using the basic software. I really like the Adobe program. It's easy to use once you get the hang of it and it has tons of features, allowing you to remove red eye, blemishes and glass glare, sharpen photos, lighten or darken them, remove shadows and do lots of other things.

The sites that Mr. Flagger referenced are very helpful. You can read reviews from those in the industry as well as customers.

HTH

flagger
02-07-2003, 10:06 AM
I second something that August Mom said. Go to a store and feel how the camera feels in your hand. Comfort for the photographer is very important.

You can find the cheapest prices for digital cameras online, but always go to www.resellerratings.com before purchasing such a high ticket item from an online vendor. There are several "too good to be true" prices out there that are in fact "gray market" cameras. Cameras sold without a US warranty. OR sometimes you get the camera body only and no batteries or neck cord or memory card. Of course all sold separately from that same vendor.

flagger
02-07-2003, 10:06 AM
I second something that August Mom said. Go to a store and feel how the camera feels in your hand. Comfort for the photographer is very important.

You can find the cheapest prices for digital cameras online, but always go to www.resellerratings.com before purchasing such a high ticket item from an online vendor. There are several "too good to be true" prices out there that are in fact "gray market" cameras. Cameras sold without a US warranty. OR sometimes you get the camera body only and no batteries or neck cord or memory card. Of course all sold separately from that same vendor.

LD92599
02-07-2003, 10:38 AM
We have the Sony DSC F707 and love it...it's 5 megapixel but it's pretty big. It also has a Carl Zeiss lens. We've always had Sony Digital Cameras (this is our third) and keep getting Sony because of the investment in memory sticks, batteries, etc. You'll want a spare rechargeable as well.

To save some $$, you may want to see what cameras Sears (if you're near one) has available...they used to match internet pricing (I'm not sure if they still do) and we were able to get the 707 for $599 rather than their price of $999!!

I also have a smaller 2 megapixel as the camera that'll reside in the diaper bag!

I too thought I preferred still prints, but we then discovered that Costco (and now a ton of other stores) will make digital prints in less than an hour for 19¢ per print...!

Good luck in your search for a camera...there's alot out there. We're also using PhotoShop Elements and iPhoto.

Laura
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

LD92599
02-07-2003, 10:38 AM
We have the Sony DSC F707 and love it...it's 5 megapixel but it's pretty big. It also has a Carl Zeiss lens. We've always had Sony Digital Cameras (this is our third) and keep getting Sony because of the investment in memory sticks, batteries, etc. You'll want a spare rechargeable as well.

To save some $$, you may want to see what cameras Sears (if you're near one) has available...they used to match internet pricing (I'm not sure if they still do) and we were able to get the 707 for $599 rather than their price of $999!!

I also have a smaller 2 megapixel as the camera that'll reside in the diaper bag!

I too thought I preferred still prints, but we then discovered that Costco (and now a ton of other stores) will make digital prints in less than an hour for 19¢ per print...!

Good luck in your search for a camera...there's alot out there. We're also using PhotoShop Elements and iPhoto.

Laura
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

egoldber
02-07-2003, 11:52 AM
We really like the Nikon family of digital cameras. They have good clarity, a lot of easy to use features and come in a variety of price points and have relatively fast "shutter lag" which is important with digital cameras and babies.

You really don't need a bajillion megapixels to get good prints. Our cameras are in the 3 magapixel range and we have been VERY satisfied with the print quality up to even 16x20.

If you do buy on the internet, consider www.bhphotovideo.com . They are not the cheapest on-line place, but they are EXTREMELY reliable. We have ordered things from cheaper places and have almost always been disappointed (got gray market instead of a US camera, or other bait and switch tactics).

HTH,

egoldber
02-07-2003, 11:52 AM
We really like the Nikon family of digital cameras. They have good clarity, a lot of easy to use features and come in a variety of price points and have relatively fast "shutter lag" which is important with digital cameras and babies.

You really don't need a bajillion megapixels to get good prints. Our cameras are in the 3 magapixel range and we have been VERY satisfied with the print quality up to even 16x20.

If you do buy on the internet, consider www.bhphotovideo.com . They are not the cheapest on-line place, but they are EXTREMELY reliable. We have ordered things from cheaper places and have almost always been disappointed (got gray market instead of a US camera, or other bait and switch tactics).

HTH,

egoldber
02-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Also, consider buying a used camera to get better quality for a lower price. We buy all our cameras used or re-furbished. If you buy from a local high end camera shop or a quality on-line retailer like B&H you will still get a warranty. There is a really high turn over of digital cameras. Many people like to get the newest greatest and trade in perfectly good camera just to get the latest one.

For example, our small digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix 990. This is discontinued but is still fairly readily available used. It retailed new for $1000, but is available pretty readily for around $400 these days. We got it for $600 18 months ago.

egoldber
02-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Also, consider buying a used camera to get better quality for a lower price. We buy all our cameras used or re-furbished. If you buy from a local high end camera shop or a quality on-line retailer like B&H you will still get a warranty. There is a really high turn over of digital cameras. Many people like to get the newest greatest and trade in perfectly good camera just to get the latest one.

For example, our small digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix 990. This is discontinued but is still fairly readily available used. It retailed new for $1000, but is available pretty readily for around $400 these days. We got it for $600 18 months ago.

CherylT
02-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, we have a Casio QV3000EX that came with an IBM Microdrive for memory and we LOVE it (3.34mp - it can hold 245 pictures at highest quality, you can also use the microdrive to store data - i.e. transfer a file from your home computer to your camera and then upload it to another pc somewhere else - the microdrive is AWESOME). Had it for almost 2 years - no problems. Unfortunately this camera is no longer sold (and I don't think any cameras come with the microdrive anymore - you have to buy it separate provided the camera you have is compatible with it). It is the easiest to use of any camera I've tried. FWIW I just bought my mom the Canon S30 as it was what best fit her needs. My brother just bought the S230, but that is too small for my tastes (and I figured grandma could do without all the teeny tiny buttons!). I second everyones suggestions of getting a spare battery. I like that my Casio takes rechargeable AA's instead of a VERY expensive proprietary battery - I like MAHA brand rechargeables if that's an option for you. And we also use Photoshop Elements - it beats the pants off of any other software editing programs I've used. I don't think most people need any more than 3.34mp - this will provide a great quality 8x10. For memory I highly suggest the Microdrive, but if that's not possible I also suggest getting a large memory card (I think it's better to get one large one (like 256mb) instead of having a bunch of small ones - for Compact Flash I like Viking brand - they have a rebate going right now). HTH

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

CherylT
02-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, we have a Casio QV3000EX that came with an IBM Microdrive for memory and we LOVE it (3.34mp - it can hold 245 pictures at highest quality, you can also use the microdrive to store data - i.e. transfer a file from your home computer to your camera and then upload it to another pc somewhere else - the microdrive is AWESOME). Had it for almost 2 years - no problems. Unfortunately this camera is no longer sold (and I don't think any cameras come with the microdrive anymore - you have to buy it separate provided the camera you have is compatible with it). It is the easiest to use of any camera I've tried. FWIW I just bought my mom the Canon S30 as it was what best fit her needs. My brother just bought the S230, but that is too small for my tastes (and I figured grandma could do without all the teeny tiny buttons!). I second everyones suggestions of getting a spare battery. I like that my Casio takes rechargeable AA's instead of a VERY expensive proprietary battery - I like MAHA brand rechargeables if that's an option for you. And we also use Photoshop Elements - it beats the pants off of any other software editing programs I've used. I don't think most people need any more than 3.34mp - this will provide a great quality 8x10. For memory I highly suggest the Microdrive, but if that's not possible I also suggest getting a large memory card (I think it's better to get one large one (like 256mb) instead of having a bunch of small ones - for Compact Flash I like Viking brand - they have a rebate going right now). HTH

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

William
02-08-2003, 04:00 AM
There are some camera features that are highly advantageous for taking pictures of your baby. I purchased a camera before our son was born, and have taken thousands of photos of him (and then pick the best, a great advantage of a digital camera). Those features include:

- Low-light focusing capability. Many of the baby photos will be taken in a room that is not brightly lit, and the auto-focus of some cameras have serious trouble focusing in subdued room lighting. Especially when the focusing subject is a small infant. It causes many blurry shots, and the LCD screen of the camera is not detailed enough to tell you that the shot was out of focus. Or the shots will be focused on whatever is in the background and not the baby. I've lost many a shot this way.

- Relatively fast focusing, and shooting. Digital cameras often take time to start up, and to take the shot, and sometimes you must get that adorable pose. This gets worse as baby becomes mobile!

- Bounce-flash capability and red-eye reduction. An infant is a small subject often overwhelmed by bright flash -- sometimes it frightens them, and other times it overexposes the child. Shots look very professional if the flash is bounced off the ceiling or wall. Red-eye reduction is essential if you are using a forward-facing flash. Unfortunately bounce-flash usually requires an extra-cost external flash and only the higher-end (expensive) digital cameras support them!

Cameras I'd recommend:

Under $300: Canon Powershot S200 (Digital Elph). 2-megapixels (which should be enough.) Tiny, you can carry it anywhere. Very durable (not plasticky like some of the less expensive Nikons). Good low-light focusing, relatively fast, easy to use.

$300-$400: Canon Powershot S230 (Digital Elph). 3-megapixel version of the above. Same advantages at a higher price tag.

$400-$600: Canon G2. This is a terrific 4-megapixel camera with many advanced features. Supports an external bounce flash. This used to be Canon's high-end consumer camera until they released the G3. This is probably the camera I'd buy today if I was shopping again. I don't even use the advanced features.

$600+: Lots of choices. Canon G3, the higher-end Nikons, and top-end Sony's.

I'm not as crazy about the Sony's anymore, and my camera was the top-end Sony in 2000. Their cameras are relatively slow, and sometimes saturate colors unnaturally. Great battery technology, though. They use a proprietary Memory Stick to hold photos, though Sony is pretty ubiquitous and you won't have problems getting more Memory Sticks. But all the cooler innovations come for the formats like Compact Flash (which the Canons and Nikons use).

William
02-08-2003, 04:00 AM
There are some camera features that are highly advantageous for taking pictures of your baby. I purchased a camera before our son was born, and have taken thousands of photos of him (and then pick the best, a great advantage of a digital camera). Those features include:

- Low-light focusing capability. Many of the baby photos will be taken in a room that is not brightly lit, and the auto-focus of some cameras have serious trouble focusing in subdued room lighting. Especially when the focusing subject is a small infant. It causes many blurry shots, and the LCD screen of the camera is not detailed enough to tell you that the shot was out of focus. Or the shots will be focused on whatever is in the background and not the baby. I've lost many a shot this way.

- Relatively fast focusing, and shooting. Digital cameras often take time to start up, and to take the shot, and sometimes you must get that adorable pose. This gets worse as baby becomes mobile!

- Bounce-flash capability and red-eye reduction. An infant is a small subject often overwhelmed by bright flash -- sometimes it frightens them, and other times it overexposes the child. Shots look very professional if the flash is bounced off the ceiling or wall. Red-eye reduction is essential if you are using a forward-facing flash. Unfortunately bounce-flash usually requires an extra-cost external flash and only the higher-end (expensive) digital cameras support them!

Cameras I'd recommend:

Under $300: Canon Powershot S200 (Digital Elph). 2-megapixels (which should be enough.) Tiny, you can carry it anywhere. Very durable (not plasticky like some of the less expensive Nikons). Good low-light focusing, relatively fast, easy to use.

$300-$400: Canon Powershot S230 (Digital Elph). 3-megapixel version of the above. Same advantages at a higher price tag.

$400-$600: Canon G2. This is a terrific 4-megapixel camera with many advanced features. Supports an external bounce flash. This used to be Canon's high-end consumer camera until they released the G3. This is probably the camera I'd buy today if I was shopping again. I don't even use the advanced features.

$600+: Lots of choices. Canon G3, the higher-end Nikons, and top-end Sony's.

I'm not as crazy about the Sony's anymore, and my camera was the top-end Sony in 2000. Their cameras are relatively slow, and sometimes saturate colors unnaturally. Great battery technology, though. They use a proprietary Memory Stick to hold photos, though Sony is pretty ubiquitous and you won't have problems getting more Memory Sticks. But all the cooler innovations come for the formats like Compact Flash (which the Canons and Nikons use).

duein june2003
02-10-2003, 11:05 PM
thanks for all the info, folks!! DH and I will start the search! Ruth

duein june2003
02-10-2003, 11:05 PM
thanks for all the info, folks!! DH and I will start the search! Ruth

spikeso
02-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I just want to add that we have the Canon S230 and we really like it. It is our first digital camera. Neither of us is that much into photography. We are more the types who just want a camera to record stuff. That being said, we very rarely use "advanced" features of cameras. My main thought when purchasing the camera was that, if its small enough, I am more likely to carry it with me all the time and thus more likely to take lots of pics. So far, that is how its worked out. Having a digital camera is very liberating! You can take pictures to your hearts content because you can delete them anytime!

Pros
1) So small I can put it my jeans pocket comfortably.
2) Color trueness seems very accurate.
3) Very fast!
4) Great battery life! And it charges so fast!

Cons
1) Flash is not very strong, so when we take flash pictures, not much gets illuminated beyond a fairly close subject. Understandable due to the size constraints.
2) Lots of redeye. I once read its due to the flash being so close to the lens. Again, possibly size limitations.

The ideal situation would be to have 2 digi cameras. One very small one for leaving the house. And one that handles low light and flash better, for home. Maybe in the future :)

HTH
Neal

spikeso
02-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I just want to add that we have the Canon S230 and we really like it. It is our first digital camera. Neither of us is that much into photography. We are more the types who just want a camera to record stuff. That being said, we very rarely use "advanced" features of cameras. My main thought when purchasing the camera was that, if its small enough, I am more likely to carry it with me all the time and thus more likely to take lots of pics. So far, that is how its worked out. Having a digital camera is very liberating! You can take pictures to your hearts content because you can delete them anytime!

Pros
1) So small I can put it my jeans pocket comfortably.
2) Color trueness seems very accurate.
3) Very fast!
4) Great battery life! And it charges so fast!

Cons
1) Flash is not very strong, so when we take flash pictures, not much gets illuminated beyond a fairly close subject. Understandable due to the size constraints.
2) Lots of redeye. I once read its due to the flash being so close to the lens. Again, possibly size limitations.

The ideal situation would be to have 2 digi cameras. One very small one for leaving the house. And one that handles low light and flash better, for home. Maybe in the future :)

HTH
Neal

rohans mommy
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi!
Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth since we just replaced our digital for a new one to take pics of our DS.
We looked for:
- good pics of course but
- manual controls, like aperature priority etc. so I could learn a bit (I'm just 1 notch above beginner)
- excellent auto mode and lots of scene modes, like nighttime, baby etc.
- good lcd display
- big 12x zoom
- and most important IS (Image stabilization)!
Don't buy a camera without it, takes care of camera shake, and will allow you to be a little careless in your picture taking and still get good shots.

We narrowed it down to the Canon S3 IS and the Panasonic Lumix FZ7, they both got great reviews. Both of them are called superzoom point and shoot cameras, they are medium size so they won't fit in your pocket, but my friend pointed out, we always have the diaperbag anyway. So we just keep it there.

I thought we wanted the Canon, since our old one is a canon and we loved it. But in the end, when I tried them, I didn't like the 2" LCD and resolution on it.
Also we went to the beach with our friends FZ5 and loved the pictures we took. Beautiful and crisp right out of the camera.

Other pros with the FZ7:
-has tons of scene modes, even 2 baby modes
- 2.5" lcd screen vs. 2" canon
- uses lithium battery instead of AA batteries (just easier to carry around and you don't have to buy the AA and charger)
- excellent auto mode

One thing, whatever you choose, if you can, buy it at Costcos, because of there more flexible return policy. Most places have a 14-30 day return policy on digital cameras and charge you a 15% restocking fee if you opened the box and tried to return it.

rohans mommy
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi!
Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth since we just replaced our digital for a new one to take pics of our DS.
We looked for:
- good pics of course but
- manual controls, like aperature priority etc. so I could learn a bit (I'm just 1 notch above beginner)
- excellent auto mode and lots of scene modes, like nighttime, baby etc.
- good lcd display
- big 12x zoom
- and most important IS (Image stabilization)!
Don't buy a camera without it, takes care of camera shake, and will allow you to be a little careless in your picture taking and still get good shots.

We narrowed it down to the Canon S3 IS and the Panasonic Lumix FZ7, they both got great reviews. Both of them are called superzoom point and shoot cameras, they are medium size so they won't fit in your pocket, but my friend pointed out, we always have the diaperbag anyway. So we just keep it there.

I thought we wanted the Canon, since our old one is a canon and we loved it. But in the end, when I tried them, I didn't like the 2" LCD and resolution on it.
Also we went to the beach with our friends FZ5 and loved the pictures we took. Beautiful and crisp right out of the camera.

Other pros with the FZ7:
-has tons of scene modes, even 2 baby modes
- 2.5" lcd screen vs. 2" canon
- uses lithium battery instead of AA batteries (just easier to carry around and you don't have to buy the AA and charger)
- excellent auto mode

One thing, whatever you choose, if you can, buy it at Costcos, because of there more flexible return policy. Most places have a 14-30 day return policy on digital cameras and charge you a 15% restocking fee if you opened the box and tried to return it.

DrSally
10-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I think Canon is a good brand. We have the Powershot A610 and are very happy with it. Keep in mind that small isn't everything. As you get super small, it's harder to hold onto and you lose some functions. The other advice I would have is to look at what you want at the store and then search online for deals and coupons. I think we got ours for much less than the cheapest sale at a store. You'll have fun with it once you start using it.

DrSally
10-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I think Canon is a good brand. We have the Powershot A610 and are very happy with it. Keep in mind that small isn't everything. As you get super small, it's harder to hold onto and you lose some functions. The other advice I would have is to look at what you want at the store and then search online for deals and coupons. I think we got ours for much less than the cheapest sale at a store. You'll have fun with it once you start using it.

Tondi G
10-14-2006, 03:14 PM
we have a CANON Powershot Digital Elph SD550 Is the model I believe! It's a 7.1MP (takes really clean pics) and the shutter speed is pretty quick (a major thing for us). I can't stand the lag of some digitals.... our older kodak was prettyslow compared to this one! We've had ours for about a year now I think and it's been fantastic! We've even taken some short movies on it... easier than running for the camcorder sometimes! It has a lot of features I haven't even used yet. I will find to time to actually sit down with the manual some day! :)

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Tondi G
10-14-2006, 03:14 PM
we have a CANON Powershot Digital Elph SD550 Is the model I believe! It's a 7.1MP (takes really clean pics) and the shutter speed is pretty quick (a major thing for us). I can't stand the lag of some digitals.... our older kodak was prettyslow compared to this one! We've had ours for about a year now I think and it's been fantastic! We've even taken some short movies on it... easier than running for the camcorder sometimes! It has a lot of features I haven't even used yet. I will find to time to actually sit down with the manual some day! :)

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kulamimi12
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I still like my Casio Exlim, it compact, and user friendly. Also, the price is right. You can check out Costco, they are usually on special promotion. The only draw back of this camera is night time, it didn't capture the light too well.

kulamimi12
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I still like my Casio Exlim, it compact, and user friendly. Also, the price is right. You can check out Costco, they are usually on special promotion. The only draw back of this camera is night time, it didn't capture the light too well.

writermama
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I always check reviews at http://www.dcresource.com/ -- I think it's a pro photographer who really puts the cameras through their paces.

writermama
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I always check reviews at http://www.dcresource.com/ -- I think it's a pro photographer who really puts the cameras through their paces.

nbs2
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
DCResource is a quality site to go to for userfriendly reviews and answers that will satisfy many prosumers and consumers. If you want more depth, you should look at the reviews at dpreview. You can also find pretty good information on some of the basics of (digital) photography there as well.

Keep in mind that with any camera, there will be something that you have to sacrifice to get the features that you want. A few points that prospective parents will want to consider are startup speed, capture speed, shot-to-shot speed, available zoom (or lens availability/price), and comperable competition. Look at these things after you have an idea regarding size and budget, and you will make your job much easier.

On a side note, something that was mentioned earlier that I might take issue with are batteries. While propriatary batteries are rechargable and thus allwo you to save some money, remember that if you are travelling and don't have a chance (or even at home and just forgot) to charge the battery, you will be out of luck. Having a camera that takes AAs will give you the flexability to grab a cheap set for those last few shots (as you should normally use Lithium AAs or recharchable AAs for best results).

nbs2
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
DCResource is a quality site to go to for userfriendly reviews and answers that will satisfy many prosumers and consumers. If you want more depth, you should look at the reviews at dpreview. You can also find pretty good information on some of the basics of (digital) photography there as well.

Keep in mind that with any camera, there will be something that you have to sacrifice to get the features that you want. A few points that prospective parents will want to consider are startup speed, capture speed, shot-to-shot speed, available zoom (or lens availability/price), and comperable competition. Look at these things after you have an idea regarding size and budget, and you will make your job much easier.

On a side note, something that was mentioned earlier that I might take issue with are batteries. While propriatary batteries are rechargable and thus allwo you to save some money, remember that if you are travelling and don't have a chance (or even at home and just forgot) to charge the battery, you will be out of luck. Having a camera that takes AAs will give you the flexability to grab a cheap set for those last few shots (as you should normally use Lithium AAs or recharchable AAs for best results).