PDA

View Full Version : How much did your 2 month old sleep?

TaChapm
10-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I am starting to worry that something could be going on with Jaci. She sleeps all the time. Out of a 24 hour day she is probably sleeping 20-21 hours out of that time. When she wakes up to eat she falls asleep 1/2 way through her bottle and sleeps while she finishes it. I know it is silly of me to complain about her sleeping too much but that along with a few other things makes me wonder if everything is OK.

I had posted awhile back about the delayed seperation of her cord. It never fell off on it's own. Jacob accidentally pulled it off at 7 weeks. It bleed and still had a piece that was attached for another 1 1/2 weeks. When I looked online it said that the delayed seperation could be from an immune system problem.

She was 4 weeks early so technically she should only be 6 weeks but the boys were both 3 weeks early and they were much more alert. Tyler never slept! She is growing fine and gaining weight. Am I just being crazy? Is this normal? Should I call my pediatrician? Everyone comments on how she is never awake so once I started to really track it I was shocked. I would just like to get other people's input. I think Tyler's never sleeping is still so fresh that any amount of sleep comparet to him seems like a lot.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler 6-9-05
& Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

lilycat88
10-18-2006, 02:54 PM
If it were me, I probably would call the ped for a "make me feel better because this is nothing" appointment. We took DD to the ped when she was much older...18 months or so...because she was sleeping all the time. Turned out that her iron level was low. The constant assult on her system by the ear infections caused her iron stores to be depleted.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

kristenk
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I'd probably call the ped just to check. It can't hurt. I don't think she's sleeping a whole lot more than DD did at 2mo, though. I remember DD sleeping so much when she little and sleeping for long periods at night. That all changed by 4 months, though! LOL

Tondi G
10-18-2006, 03:17 PM
It's not that off from some babies.... some just sleep ALOT! I have a friend whos baby was just born and seemed as though he was eating well but he was tongue tied and although he was at the breast for decent periods of time he wasn't getting enough so he was tired and sleepy! When they realized he wasn't gaining well thats when they discovered he was tongue tied etc. Once they got all that figured out it took a while to get him eating more and being awake for the feedings and beyond!

How is her color? Does she seem jaundiced possibly? That can make babies super sleepy. Overall most doctors say as long as they are eating well and gaining, having plenty of wet and dirty diapers let them be! They do a lot of their growing when they sleep so maybe she is making up for her preemie time??!!

You can always put a call into your ped and see what they say. They may want to run a blood test just to be sure there isn't anything out of the ordinary going on.

For what it's worth.... I was 3 weeks early and my mom said I slept almost all day for a few weeks.... she thought I was a dream child. Then I "woke up" and wanted to nurse and be held around the clock!!!! So much for her dream baby! Try to enjoy your sleepy baby while you can and let us know what the ped has to say!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

BaileyBea
10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey Tara,

I agree w/PP that you should ask about the cord and the sleeping.

To make you feel a little bit better Luci is sleeping about 19-20 hours per day. She's sleeping a ton right now. A lot more than Curt did at her age. I have tried not to worry about it too much. I think their bodies and brain development is growing so fast they need the sleep right now.

I am sure she's just perfect and that her sleeping probably has to do with how much growth they are currently going through.

Have you heard of the Baylor Medical Center Testing?

Here's a link: http://www.baylorhealth.com/medicalspecialties/metabolic/newbornscreening.htm

You can request a screen test for 30 additional disorders etc. They send the info and test papers for FREE but the test itself costs $25. She's still young enough right now to take the test. This test may give you a peace of mind that she doesn't have some of these disorders.

I hope your Dr helps you and gives you some answers so you're not so worried. I am sure Jaci is just perfect. ;-) Hang in there.

Nancy

bcky2
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
my younger ds slept all the time for the first 2-3 months. he was only awake to eat and that was it. no interaction time or anything really. around 3 months it tapered off to like 18 hours a day. i was positive that there was something wrong, my first ds didnt sleep at all. im sure she is fine but if you are worried then call the ped and make sure so that you can put your mind at rest.

TaChapm
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I had forgotten about the Baylor test. We did it with Tyler but our new pediatrician never mentioned it. I think I will see about getting it done. We are new with this lady and I don't want her to think that I am a crazy mom but the combination of things is making me a little worried. She had never dealt with a baby who's cord stayed on past 4 weeks so we were kind of in uncharted waters with that.

How is your bunch doing? Are you ready for some cooler weather yet?

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler 6-9-05
& Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

lizajane
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
i would call the ped. my first slept a whole lot. but a friend's DD is 11 months and is sleeping like that and her ped is running some tests, as her white count is up. so just double check. you may just be one lucky mommy!!

mcdonald29
10-18-2006, 04:32 PM
If in doubt, call the ped. At the very least, it might alleviate your concerns.

DS2 slept quite a bit when he was that age, even 12 straight hours at night for a couple weeks. I wasn't sure if it was luck or illness, and double checked the clock every morning. Now he's back to waking 1-2 times a night, so things change.

BaileyBea
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
OMG! This humid heat is ridiculous. I am watching the Thunderstorm warnings right now hoping that it just pours down later on today. Let's keep our fingers crossed huh! I'm jealous of those gals in Ohio w/their cooler temps. ;-)

Curt's cord stayed on for nearly 4 weeks. Finally we went into the Ped and she put some stuff on it so it quit oozing. Yes.. oozing. It was gross. I remember. It stained all his clothes etc.. It looked like silver when they put it on. I forget what it was called. My neighbhor is a Ped.Nurse and her son had the exact same thing around 5 weeks. His cord would not fall off. It's just one of those things. I hope the Ped helps you out.

Things here are finally calming down. Curt and DH had fevers until last Tuesday night. They are much better. Luci's congestion is so much better than it was. She still has some left but she's not turning blue anymore. So I am a much more relaxed Momma. Last night I slept really well. I feel so much more normal right now than I have for about 2 weeks.

I meant to post but I think your outings w/the 3 kids was great. You are a great Mom and you're doing a wonderful job w/all 3 of them. Definetly an inspiration to me! ;-)

Call your Doc and tell us what she says! ;-)

Nancy