PDA

View Full Version : totally OT

Lynnie
10-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Ok, so on the web news there was something about a biological bomb threat to 7 or so football stadiums on sunday. The fbi thinks it is probably a hoax, yada yada. But, a friend is selling her season tickets to the game and I was going to buy two of the four, and take DS1. Of course, to one of the seven stadiums. For some reason, even though I am sure it is a hoax, I am really kinda nervous about this, and am not so sure I want to go. (I am also very nervous when I fly, but have only gotten off an airplane once)

Would I be crazy to not go because of this ?

If I end up wimping out and not going, what should I do about the tickets ? She offered them for sale in an huge organizational wide e-mail yesterday, and has gotten no bites. I told her this afternoon that I would like two. If she has not turned any one down because she promised them to me, how awful would it be to back out, and say, just sell the original group of four. I obviously think it is a little shady, or I wouldn't be concerned. But I also obviously don't want to be out a lot of $$ to not go. She can't go anyway, and if she has not lost out because she thought for half a day that I was going to buy them, would it be too terrible ?? I guess I could try to resell them on craigslist if the only right thing would be to buy them and not go.

I know this sounds crazy, and perhaps it is a bad thing to admit, because it does mean that the terrorists have already "won" in a sense, but I do really feel scared when I think about going. The old, God forbid if something happens kind of feeling - the one you get when you can start worrying about all kinds of freak accidents occurring to DCs, and just have to slap yourself to get out of it. (Lord, help me when they get their licenses, I can't even handle moives or tv shows with sick/injured/letalonekilled kids)

Need to sleep now, since house is still sick, but would appreciate to know I am crazy, or that I am crazy, but you understand and can possibly relate.

StantonHyde
10-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Lynnie:

I calculate everything with this method--am I more or less likely to die in a car crash than I am doing x. You would be amazed to find out that there are very few things that are more dangerous than riding in a car, and yet we do that every day--with our children. Getting bombed by anybody is WAY down on the list. Read the book "Freakanomics" (sp?). He does a great job showing actual risk vs. our response to the "rule of rescue". e.g. it is actually far more dangerous to have your child play at a friend's house with a swimming pool than it is for your child to play at a friend's house that has a loaded gun!! I never would have thought that. National Geographic did do graph on what your chances were of dying of a variety of things--it was in the last three months or so. You could search their website or check out a magazine at the library.

Lynnie
10-18-2006, 10:15 PM
thanks.

I do feel a little better.

still, there is that nagging feeling. and I am actually a little annoyed with myself for feeling it, which is probably why I vented/posed the question here.

Of course, I have also acted somewhat irrationally when I had a bad feeling about something. so, I guess I'll have to see.

bostonsmama
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
It sounds like you don't want to go, and if you really, deep-down in your gut you know you will fret and worry the whole time as to not enjoy the game, it's probably best to pass and just watch the game at home w/ DS and make a fun couch party out of it. Don't feel bad at all if your radar is going off; just back out gracefully with some excuse. There is still a good amt of time for HER to Craigs List the tickets herself.

Personally, though, I would still go (but I love football and certainly don't fear terrorism like I do flying in general). Security likely is going to be so tight it's ridiculous, which is always a reassuring thing. As we speak, the FBI and other agencies are putting into play some secret and not-so-secret measures to inspect food, beverages, vendors, goods, equipment, and stadium stands today and through this weekend, along with everyone who enters (badged employees or fans) on Sunday. It is in the stadium and the government's best interests to do so. For instance, probably the safest time to fly was when the threat of the liquids becoming bombs on airplanes plot was detected and reported. That's just the way it works.

Whatever you decide, don't beat yourself up. We can only take so much stress in our lives, ya know! A couch party sounds pretty fun anyways.

L

cmdunn1972
10-19-2006, 06:30 AM
I second "Freakonomics". It's a good book! :)

punkrockmama
10-20-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15320622/

They even arrested some guy. You can go to the game with no worries girl! :)

Hope you've either already seen this story or I'm not too late for ya.