PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you use a towel?

KrisM
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
A friend replaces her bath towels every day. I use mine for 3 days. I don't have nearly enough to replace them every day. Just wondering if I should be towel shopping!

crl
10-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I change bath towels twice a week. (Unless DH fails to hang his up properly and I end up changing his more often. . . .) I do often change the hand towel more often.

kep
10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
We usually use ours until "something" happens to them (usually Luke floods the bathroom, and I have to throw all available towel on the floor to mop up the water), thus requiring washing. This usually takes no longer than 3 days. We also wash them up if they start to feel stiff or I just feel like a clean towel!

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://lilypie.com/pic/060922/3RHU.jpg[/img]http://bd.lilypie.com/lrIKm4/.png[/img][/url]

kijip
10-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I love my towels and I have a lot of them. But I still only change them out like every 4-7 days.

For one, no one in my house takes a full shower every single day unless something messy happens. We each average about 4 or so showers a week. So changing out the towels more often than we bathe would be odd indeed. :)

For two, what a royal waste of water to wash towels after a single use on a daily basis. Add in energy costs and that is really inefficient if you ask me.

Piglet
10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Okay, I will admit it - I am one of the people that voted more than a week. I think it depends on shower frequency. We live in the driest place I have ever lived. No humidity whatsoever! I can not shower more than once every 2 days or my skin gets crazy dry. Ditto for DS1. DH is blessed with soft skin and the need to shower daily. DS2 gets too messy every day so he gets a bath daily. I replace my towel less frequently than I replace other towels. DH showers in the basement, so I hope he replaces his towel frequently, but his bathroom is his place. I don't do much in there so I rarely check out the towels. Either way, we have the benefit of the dryness in that our towels hardly ever get that wet smell like they do in other places.

mudder17
10-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Hmm...it's a good thing my parents don't read this board or I'd be in trouble. ;) Generally speaking, I don't run around that much (especially these days) and so I generally take a shower 2x's a week. DH is the same way and Kaya also gets a bath about 2x's a week. The exception of course is during the summer when we spend a lot of time outdoors (although we avoided it this summer on the hot days). So the towels end up getting washed every couple weeks or so. The hand towels get washed more often, but I just toss them in with the regular wash so it's not that big a deal. As Katie said, I think it would be really inefficient to wash our towels every week if they're only used twice.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 31 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

MommyAllison
10-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I answered once a week, because I change mine that often. However, DH would like to change his every day - I told him we will run out of towels, and he now uses them 2-3 times before changing. DD only bathes once a week so she uses her towels several times before washing.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

julieakc
10-19-2006, 01:32 AM
It's so funny that this poll is coming up now...just a couple weeks ago I was visiting with my cousin for a couple of days and discovered that they change their towels daily. I had never heard of this before (except at hotels, but even then if given the options to rehang and reuse towels I will do so), so I was a bit curious what the norm is.

I voted once a week which is the routine, although on occassion if I'm really behind on housework they may go 10 days, and on occassion they might get changed earlier.

cmdunn1972
10-19-2006, 06:32 AM
It's our house, not a hotel. ;)

katerinasmom
10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
I voted for more than once a week because we change all our regular bath towels every two weeks when the housekeeper comes. I figure, they don't smell, they feel fine, we are clean when we use them, we don't have enough to change them everytime we shower and it is a waste of water. That being said, the hand towels in the half bath that are used by the hoards of guys that run through my house for football night, or baseball night, or wrestling night get changed at least once a week or more often. And DD's towel also gets changed every time she uses it. She only gets bathed 2-3 times a week (because of her eczema) and likes to be a new animal each time (she has four hooded animal towels - 2 ducks, a frog and a hippo). And all washcloths are used only once and then washed.

scoop22
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
in our house it depends on how often we shower. the weather. and if they just smell. i wash the washclothes more often. now ds gets a new towel more than we do. i am not sure why but he does.

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

SammyeGail
10-19-2006, 08:39 AM
I voted every few days. I like to shower daily, sometimes can't because it gets low on the proirity list : ). If I go 2 days my hair feels oily.

It also depends on the smell and stiffness of the towel, lol. What causes us to change every few days in the fact that the towels usually end up crumpled on the floor while still damp.

Samantha

kozachka
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I voted a week but frankly speaking it might be slightly more as I do not keep in mind how long ago I changed our towels. As soon as they feel/smell dirty, I change them.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I am compulsive when it comes to towels. I HATE using them more than once. DH never heard of such a thing and thought I was nuts...that is until he started using a fresh towel every day. Now, if we don't have clean towels, it's a big disappointment. It does require a lot of laundry, but I just bought big packs of towels at Costco so when they get worn out, they are essentially disposable.

maestramommy
10-19-2006, 11:19 AM
I voted a week, but it could be longer. It depends on when we can get to the laundry. We really have enough towels to change more often, I just don't think about it. I always put out a fresh towel in the guest bathroom if we're having company, but for ourselves I just don't think it's that big a deal.

mainepotato
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
I wash bath towels after about 3 uses, washcloths after every use, and hand towels every other day.

June Mommy
10-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I use 2 towels per shower, one for my hair and one for my body. I'm willing to use my towels twice. DH will only use his once. We have a lot of towels :) I had never heard of using towels for a week or more.

ETA: Oh, and once for DS's towels too, but he only gets a bath 2-3 times a week.

AdiMom
10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
OK, someone will have to answer this for me. Why would you ever wash your towel after a single use? You are clean (presumably having taken a shower) when you use one. Maybe this comes from being born and living a major chunk of my life in a country where it is difficult to have enough clean water for drinking, leave alone washing towels everyday. It seems like a huge waste of water to wash new towels. I can imagine if you wipe sweat with a towel (like a gym towel or a beach towel) to wash it after every use.

Just trying to understand :-)

jillc
10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I voted "for a week". DH and I shower daily. DD has a bath about every other day. I wash our shower towels about every 4-7 days. I replace our hand towels in the bathroom every 2-3 days.

Replacing a shower towel every day seems REALLY excessive, if you ask me.

hez
10-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Laundry gets done once a week, so towels get done once a week. We were doing a better job of spreading out the laundry over 2-3 sessions at one point, but even then washed towels once a week.