PDA

View Full Version : Our Diabetes Story FYI (Very Long)

bisous
10-19-2006, 03:53 AM
Hi There!

I've been wanting to post our story for awhile but haven't had time to compose the message. I introduced myself a week back or so but wanted to fill in the details about how my DS was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I suppose I just feel really grateful for the circumstances and want to make others aware that this disease can be present in families with no direct history.

In July, I started noticing behavior changes in my 2.5 year old. He was really grouchy and cranky almost every day. I noticed this because the previous semester (I'm a grad. student) I could handle a full course load, a tiny job and his full-time care (except for evening classes) with really few problesm. But this summer? I couldn't even keep up with the reading list for one of my classes. Of course, behavior changes are pretty par for the course in a young developing toddler.

He used to be a great sleeper at night and that started to be a battle daily. His sleep schedule was totally erratic. One evening he woke up at 11:00 p.m. and was up all night until 7:00 in the morning. He wasn't really upset, had no fever or other symptoms, just kind of agitated and very thirsty. Again, sleep problems and changes in progress and routine are not terribly uncommon in young kids.

This thirst didn't initially alarm me. It was July in California during the hottest summer that I personally remember in all of my 30 years. I felt that it was natural to want to drink to keep from being dehydrated.

Because of the thirst, I initially didn't think that the "wetting" was a problem either. He was consuming a lot of liquid so I thought it natural that he would have to "go". Now, he was in disposable diapers which by all accounts absorb a LOT of liquid. He started routinely wetting through the night. He's been dry at night for probably a year. I was planning on introducing the concept of potty training this summer but of course, that wasn't working out too well. Again, my first thought--well, its hot, he's drinking LOTS of water, of course its going to manifest itself, right?

Finally, one night as I came in to check him he was wet through his clothes, sheets, mattress pad, etc. After cleaning him I tossed the diaper aside and dozed next to him in his bed, tired from a crazy routine. I awoke to a distinctly sweet smell. I had remembered a pediatrician in the past talking about diabetes as "sweet river" in Greek or something like that and I had a scary realization at 2:00 a.m. Immediately I went to my computer and became convinced it was Diabetes. I resolved to take him in the next day. The first appointment I could get was for 4:30 p.m. on a Friday. By this time I had calmed and thought that I must be crazy and it must be a growth spurt. Growth spurts with my son typically include eating and drinking lots, upset sleep and crankiness. However, I went into the doctor's office and voiced my concern for diabetes to the nurse. She took a finger prick and immediately left the room. That scared me. The doctor came in less than a minute later and told us to go directly to the emergency room. He had diabetes and needed to be admitted to get his blood sugar to go down. His level was nearly 700.

After a terrible ER experience my DS was admitted to the pediatric wing of a great hospital. He spent 5 days there while his insulin levels were adjusted. Normally hospital stays are yucky but honestly I needed every minute of instruction from the nurses, doctors and diabetes educators. Type 1 is incredibly intricate to treat. Thanks to great medical care, he was released to live a normal life with some interventions.

I just wanted to sum up a few lessons that I learned in case they help...

1. Don't rule out Diabetes because it doesn't run in the family. Nobody in our family has Type 1. Diabetes has a genetic component, an auto-immune component, and a viral component.

2. It's cliche but the classic symptoms of excessive thirst and frequent urination are still the best indicators of the disease.

3. Always, always, trust your mommy instincts and better to check and be safe than not. I feel like I should have seen the signs earlier but medical personnel were impressed I caught the disease when I did. They tell me that many children are diagnosed in a coma, or vomiting and seizing. Luckily, luckily, luckily my child had not progressed to that stage. It is my great hope that more will catch it before it progresses to that stage!

4. This is not meant to be alarmist at all. I just wanted to share our saga in the hopes that there will be more awareness of this potentially fatal disease. The good news is that with excellent care my son will live a nice, normal, healthy life.

Anyway, I hope that this helps someone in small part and well, I suppose I just wanted to share...

JEN

missym
10-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Jen, thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so glad your son is doing well.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **

heidiann
10-19-2006, 07:39 AM
I am glad your little guy is doing well now. That must have been a very scary situation. Thanks for all the great info.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

anamika
10-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Thank you for sharing this. I'm so glad you trusted your instincts and that your son is well.

trumansmom
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Isn't it amazing how as a mom sometimes you just know. Good job trusting your gut.

This information is so important. I hope everyone takes a minute to read it.

Thanks again for sharing it.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

bubbaray
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. Hugs to you both!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

Moneypenny
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your story and that information with us. How lucky your little guy is to have such an intuitive mom!
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

maestramommy
10-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Jen, thanks for posting your story, and also for the reminder. I never think about certain diseases because it's not in our family, but when things are out of the ordinary we need to trust our instincts. So glad your son is doing well!

COElizabeth
10-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks for sharing your story and that useful information! I'm glad your son is doing so well now.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

crl
10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. And how fortunate that you were able to piece this together for your son!

mainepotato
10-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Wow! He is so lucky that you listened to your instincts and had him evaluated immediately! Thank you for sharing your story.

ErinMC
10-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Wow - thanks for sharing your story with us! Great instincts. It also makes me realize how little I know about many diseases. I wasn't even aware of the classic symptoms (the thirst and urination) of diabetes!

Glad your son is doing well.

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

Dcclerk
10-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for sharing, Jen. What an experience to have gone through. I'm so happy for you and your son that you caught it when you did.

And welcome to this community; we're glad you are here.

laretce6
10-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I've had Type 1 diabetes since I was 8 (just over 20 years). I use an insulin pump, but was on multiple injections for a very long time. The medical technology now even compared to what it was when I was diagnosed in the 80s is just incredible.

The fact that you trusted your mommy instincts will be a valuable asset to your son in years to come!

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04
and baby sister arrivng 2.2007

aguinn
10-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Jen,

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell your son's story. I'm sorry he is so little with this disease, but it sounds like you have a great handle on the situation, so I hope he has very minor "interventions" from here on out.

My best friend's son was diagnosed with type 1 last February, just after he'd turned 2. They brought him to the hospital when a high fever just wouldn't go away after a few days. He had also had major behavior changes leading up to diagnosis, too.

Thanks again,
;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b4.lilypie.com/3dP3m4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

jayali
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Jen,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I found it very interesting. I come from a long line of Type II diabetes and had gestational diabetes. Because I had gestational diabetes I was/am concerned about my son developing it and seem to always be on the lookout for symptoms. I had never heard about the "sweet river", so I am grateful to you for passing along that information.

I am so glad that you trusted your Mommy instincts and all is well with your son.

Thanks again.