PDA

View Full Version : Backyardigans question!?!

katiesmommy
10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
So DD has just gotten into watching the Backyardigans. No big, I don't mind them at all. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows what Uniqua is suppossed to be? The other animals are pretty obvious, but the only thing that I can figure for Uniqua is some sort of bug. Any ideas?

AmyZ
10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
We love that show.... and we say that Uniqua is "unique". I don't think she is an animal, but maybe someone else knows...

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Baby #2 on the way! EDD 1/25/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

BillK
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
From the Nick Jr. website about Backyardigans:

"Each 3D CGI-animated episode of “The Backyardigans� is a journey into the kind of fantasy play that happens in every little kid’s mind. They’re epic, musical fantasy adventures, preschool-style, fresh from the minds of three kids – a precocious penguin named Pablo, a laid-back moose named Tyrone, the appropriately named Uniqua, and their friends."

So from what I can tell Uniqua is just that....unique - noone knows what he/she is supposed to be. ;)

elliput
10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I did a bit of research on this shortly after we started watching - Uniqua is just like the PP said "unique". Here is the "offical" description of the character from the Nick Jr. site.

Uniqua is her name and her species. She’s graceful, agile, and as light on her feet as a ballerina. But when it comes to playing, she’s more “adventure� than “ballet.� Unafraid and daring, Uniqua loves to run, climb, and ride her bike faster than anyone. She also loves to tell silly jokes, make silly noises, and tickle her friends. Yes, Uniqua is mischievous, but she’s also sweet – she knows whether her friends are happy or sad, and she’ll always say something to show that she cares.

BillK
10-19-2006, 01:28 PM
also - from the Backyardigans Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backyardigans

"Uniqua

A curious, self-confident and high-spirited pink creature with polka dots, she's almost always sweet and friendly, though her strong opinions and occasional stubbornness get in the way sometimes. She is more tomboyish than Tasha, and often imagines herself in roles requiring brains and fortitude (scientist, pirate captain, etc). Much controversy has been raised over what species she belongs to. Suggestions included a ladybug (due to her pink polka dots), an ant (due to her antennae), and even an alien. But actually, she's a unique bright colored creature, that's unlike any other in the world, and Uniqua is also the name of her species.

Speaking voice: LaShawn Tináh Jefferies

Singing voice: Jamia Simone Nash

Dancer: Hattie Mae Williams"

katiesmommy
10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses!

mainepotato
10-19-2006, 02:56 PM
She sort of reminds me of Arthur, who is some kind of aardvark mutant. Maybe she's a cousin. ;-)

tarynsmum
10-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I recall reading a FAQ somewhere (please, don't ask me why I was reading a FAQ on the Backyardigans), which says that Uniqua is "a unique animal". Well, thanks. <insert eye roll>

bisous
10-19-2006, 04:34 PM
It sounds like other posters have the official answer. I just wanted to share that my DS is convinced she is a bug. He absolutely cannot be dissuaded so in our house, she's a bug! :)

lizamann
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Now that freaks me out. Have you seen the early Arthur books, with the noses in their full glory? I remember doing a little research to find out what happened to those noses and got very disatisfying results. Basically the author said the drawings just evolved that way, or something really lame like that.

punkrockmama
10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
*I* (lol) love The Backyardigans (Peyton could take 'em or leave 'em). I wasn't so sure the first time we caught them because I usually don't go for animation like that. But we watch it here and there and whenver we do I always find myself singing the songs a couple hours later. :)