PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on mailing a care package to Tokyo

jacksmom0902
10-19-2006, 10:48 PM
My cousin is currently living in Tokyo with her husband and has been there since January. She won't be able to visit until Christmas and I'd love to send her some cookies, pictures from the kids, etc. I need advice on what type of homemade cookies or sweets ship well. Any other suggestions on what to include in my care package would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bostonsmama
10-19-2006, 11:09 PM
That is very generous of you because I hope you know that it's super expensive to ship packages by Air mail over to Japan. I know because my brother lives there (not with the military) and my parents send him little gifts all the time. Once he asked for deoderant, toothpaste and his favorite granola bars. I don't think the thing weighed 5 lbs and was larger than a child's shoe box and it was $56 to mail from the east coast, about $37 for a similar package from Texas. My recommendation (because of customs--they could agriculturally deny something homemade and not industry-wrapped) is to send a yummy store-bought cookie or favorite treat they might not get in Japan (call and ask what their favorite is). My brother asks for cheetos and Quaker chocolate chip granola bars (there aren't too many "sweets" over there like we have here). Anything w/ a large chocolate content is likely to melt, so skip that, but sugar cookies, even Mrs. Fields soft wrapped cookies would be nice. It's up to you, but those packages can take MONTHS to arrive, so best to ship soon and not put anything too valuable or perishable in it. A frame or two for the photos would be nice, too, since those items can also be expensive over there.

HTH

Larissa

cmdunn1972
10-20-2006, 07:03 AM
When I was in Japan for 4 weeks adopting DS, I remember craving sugar-free, fruit-flavored gum that didn't have mint flavor in it also. There was plenty of Xylitol-based fruit-mint gum, but it wasn't the same as wildberry Extra that was my favorite in the U.S.