PDA

View Full Version : Would this be tacky?

VClute
10-20-2006, 06:46 AM
So, DH and I love our neighborhood. We love our house. But we disagree about where to put baby #2, and think it may be time to get a bigger house so we don't have to give up the office or shove two kids in one room (I grew up sharing a room with my sister, but DH thinks it's a bad idea. Weird.)

ANYway, since we like our neighborhood so much, and there is a high concentration of military families here, I was thinking about putting out a flyer, or an ad in our neighborhood newsletter stating that we're looking for a new home and that we want to know if anyone has orders to get transferred next spring and summer. Basically, I want first dibs on the houses coming on the market in the spring, because this is a very popular neighborhood.

So, would that be tacky? Anyone ever done something similar to this?

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

HGraceMom
10-20-2006, 06:57 AM
In our neighborhood, it's really common for people to drop a note in the mailbox of a house they love & ask for a head's- when it might be coming up for sale (we've received 3 notes in the 4 years since we renovated - 2 with unofficial "offer" ranges!) Needless to say, I've saved the names & contact info on all - it'll save a commission if & when we decide to move.

That said, I wouldn't ask if anyone has orders to be transferred, but would be vague that you're looking to move in the spring, love the neighborhood, etc. I think it's in poor taste to ask "Are you going to be transferred?" compared to "Are you thinking about moving?" JMHO...

Congrats on your spring baby :)

newmomto3kids
10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
I don't think it is tacky at all, actually, I think it is quite smart. I know over the years, many people have expressed interest into buying my parents house. If someone asks at the right time, it saves both parties a lot of work...and money.
Good luck!

nfowife
10-20-2006, 08:22 AM
We're military, and I would LOVE if someone put a note out saying that! Wow what a load off my back that would be to have one less major thing like selling my house to be worried about!

MissyAg94
10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Me too! I am already worried about selling our house when we PCS NEXT YEAR!

BillK
10-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Heck we're not military and don't even live in a military town and we've gotten notes in our mailbox about contacting people first if we ever decide to sell. It doesn't offend me at all and I don't think it's tacky.

SammyeGail
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Not tacky at all, like PP said, its a good idea, just word it as well as you can.

We were looking at a house that was for sale but the sign was gone, the neighboor was outside and she said the house had sold a few days earlier. She told us the house across the street was going to be put up soon, the owners moved, but wanted to do some repairs before selling it. It was beautiful and the yard was perfect for what we wanted. We have thought about looking up who they are and contacting them. I wondered if that borderlined on tacky, but as an owner of a house we are putting up for sale soon I would love to get a note in the mailbox!!!

My BIL had a friend who was selling his old house. It was already listed. They talked and he cancelled his listing and sold my BIL his house. I think it was alittle risky because they could have gotten
in trouble, but it worked out best for both of them.

Samantha