PDA

View Full Version : I just fell down the stairs

himom
10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
I feel like a complete idiot.

I missed the edge of the top stair going down and just kind of went airborne. I managed to catch the baby gate on one side and braced myself a bit with my wrist on the other side, but I still got a pretty big jolt. Landed on my ankle first then butt.

My son just cracks me up. He was downstairs and heard me go, and after he figured out what happened he decided to give me a lecture. "Mom, you have to hold on to the railings and BE CAREFUL. Okay? Next time you be careful."

I'm not THAT big yet...only 5 1/2 months. I can't figure out how I managed to do this.

I'm a bit worried I may have hurt myself enough to mess with the baby but I think it's okay. Of course it's Friday, so if there really is a problem it would have to happen around 4 pm, just as the doc's office is closing.

Now I'm feeling clumsy and awkward, and damn it, my wrist and ankle hurt! I'm posting under "I need help" because I don't want to end up in the bitching post and I'd love to hear from anyone else if they've ever done anything like this. And some reassurance that I din't just send myself into early labor.

dules
10-20-2006, 02:28 PM
I fell *up* our stairs when I was around 6 months and did go into the hospital for monitoring (it was a weekend too). They just hooked me up to clock baby's movements and heart rate for an hour or two (?) and then sent us home. If you're worried, it's worth the trip.

I hope you feel better. And LOL at your DS. ;)

Mary

elliput
10-20-2006, 02:28 PM
First off {{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Try to take it easy, k?

I slipped on my stairs just two weeks ago. My right shoulder still hurts. :-(

elephantmeg
10-20-2006, 04:33 PM
I would do kick counts to make sure. Hope you're doing OK. And if it makes you feel better I got my foot caught in the diaper bag strap somehow while I was buckling DS in today and proceeded to fall out of my SUV. Sigh. How did I manage that? DS was looking at me like, mom-what are you doing?

kedss
10-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Big hugs, Mama. I hope everything is okay!
Your DS is priceless!

bubbaray
10-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Big hugs!

Is there an after hours line you can call?? You and the baby are probably FINE, but I'd call just to ease your nerves....

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

alleyoop
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I fell down the stairs when I was about 5mo with #2 (and was carrying #1 at the time...). Ugh! Big hugs to you! I was told that if I don't get cramping and bleeding, then all is well. My doctor said that the baby was REALLY padded then and she only worries when women take a complete belly-fall onto pavement in the last trimester. Hope that helps and you feel better soon. I do remember that it finially hit me that I shouldn;t be carrying DS anymore, especially up and down the stairs and that I should BE MORE CAREFUL!

rlu
10-20-2006, 05:01 PM
I slipped on the kitchen floor in my brand-spanking-new boots and landed on my caboose when I was 3/4 months along. I cried when I realized I might have hurt the baby but was just fine. Boots went back to the store that day. I got ones with rubber soles after that.

katiesmommy
10-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I've fallen both going up and down. Did both while prenant as well as not pregnant. DD seems to be fine, but she does like slidding down the stairs on her tummy. Hmmm! lol!

barbarhow
10-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Ouch. To your ankle and your ego. Hope they are both healing well tonight.
If it makes you feel any better, I fell when I was 36 weeks pregnant. I slipped on ice and went flying. It was on the way to my shower. I felt like an idiot and as far as I can tell, Jack came o ut just fine. A bit stubborn, but fine. ;-)
Hugs Mama.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

himom
10-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It's good to know I'm not the only one taking dives.

I'm a little achy but I think everything is okay. It's true that baby is padded really well, I was just worried that a jolt like that could cause contractions. But so far so good!

Thanks again!

Jodi