PDA

View Full Version : pregnancy and concerts

purpleeyes
10-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Hello all!

Ok, so DH and I are TTC #2: could be this month, could be next month, it's not an exact science, right! :) Anyway, I have tickets for a concert in a few weeks and I am wondering if I am pregnant, would it be a problem to go? It isn't going to be a wild moshpit crazy show, but it is still a concert.

What do you think? I feel wierd calling the OB and saying, well, I might be like 8 or 9 days pregnant, should I go to this show? :)

TIA!!

Beth

ETA:trying to conceive with DH, duh.

elliput
10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
GO! Don't over analyze. Just go to the concert and enjoy yourself. :-)

himom
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Just what exactly are you planning on doing at this concert??? :)

I don't think it would be a problem unless you're jammed up against people participating in um...illegal recreation. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to breathe that stuff in or drink anything alchoholic.

Other than that, I'd say go, and have fun. Concerts are hard to come by once the DC arrives!

Piglet
10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
GO!!!!!

I went to a U2 concert when I was 7 or so months pregnant with DS1. There was a fair bit of "illegal" activity. DS1 is very mellow... coincidence, LOL? Just kidding!

I went to a Who concert last month. Had a great time. Hoping for a mellow kid this time around too.

DS2 wasn't exposed to concerts in utero and is a mischief monkey ;)

Really, I wouldn't worry about much of anything the first month you are pregnant. Many women don't even know they are pregnant that early on. At 8 or 9 days, even moreso! Obviously don't do outright dangerous things, but concerts are so low on my list of "dangerous" things that it wouldn't even register.

Enjoy,

purpleeyes
10-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh, I love u2!! I was so happy the last time they came around I was able to go (with my mom as a babysitter)

Anyway, thanks for all the positive thoughts-I was totally overanalyzing and you guys are right, I should enjoy it while I can! :)

Beth

aliceinwonderland
10-20-2006, 03:11 PM
I went when 3 months or so. It was fine, except that I was very sleepy.

mimieliza
10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I went to a concert at 8 months pregnant. I cannot imagine why it could possibly be a problem to go.

barbarhow
10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
We went to The Who when I was 6 weeks pregnant with Jack and to Yes when I was 7 months pregnant with him. I wrapped our coats around my belly because the bass was so loud. I was terrified he would have PTSD.

ETA-go and have fun!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

megs4413
10-20-2006, 03:32 PM
you and DS are TTC #2? how is that going???? just kidding! i knew what you meant!

FTR, though i am not an "advocate" of illegal recreation in the weed form (or any form for that matter)...i do happen to know that you probably have nothing to worry about when it comes to being "near" that in pregnancy. NOT AT ALL saying you should smoke in pregnancy (if you are pregnant this go 'round!) but that you really have nothing to worry about in going to the concert. enjoy yourself!

kijip
10-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Go! I went to concerts and all through my pregnancy, including LeTigre when I was just about ready to give birth. Don't drink, don't go surfing through the pit and you will be a-ok. At LeTigre, I found a seat where I could put my feet up in the bar overlooking the stage and drank lemonade in my one sleeved LeTigre shirt pulled very tightly around my belly. It was a blast.

purpleeyes
10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
hee! I get so used to typing DS ;)

Beth

pb&j
10-20-2006, 06:31 PM
I went to concerts all throughout my pregnancy, except for at the beginning of my 3rd tri when I was having terrible sciatica and couldn't sit or stand for any length of time. I figured I should cram in as much socializing and concertgoing as possible while pregnant, since it would be much more difficult after the baby came. As far as we can tell, DS is as normal as any child of mine will ever be.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

buddyleebaby
10-20-2006, 07:03 PM
i went to the eagles concert when i was 7 months along with dd#1.

the only problem was the long line for the bathroom...; )

C99
10-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Why would you not go? I went to concerts with both pregnancies in my second trimester with no ill effects.

MarisaSF
10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
I went to concerts and loud clubs when pregnant. My friends and I feared that DD would be born deaf, but instead she LOVES music and loves to dance. I wouldn't sweat it. Just avoid the smoke.

Fairy
10-20-2006, 11:39 PM
I'll be the lone voice to admit that I would not go. Not that I advise you not to go. Just that I, myself, given the choice, would not go. I am a very paranoid person about pregnancy (for good reason), and I'd be worried the whole time and sure that the contact high from all the pot I'd be smelling (at every concert I've ever been to) and cigarette smoke and bass lines and vibrations and sheer decible levels would harm the baby's dev't. Now, again, that's ME, and I'm nuts. I just worry worry worry worry worry. And all that worrying would just add to the adverse things that would be impacting the baby that day. So, that spells out me giving away the Aerosmith tickets. Again, that's jsut me. Then again, at 9 days pregnant, that's almost not pregnant at all, so how bad could it be foe a little blastocyst to get a little guitar?

casey0729
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I went to a huge, loud, multiact concert when I was about 2 months pregnant. My DS is just fine ... and likes R.E.M.

KC

DS 5/11/05

brittone2
10-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I went to at least 2 concerts when I was pg with DS. Very different, but there was "illegal activity" going on during both, I'm sure. It was far enough away from me personally that I didn't really worry DS was getting exposed to anything crazy. One concert was James Taylor I was maybe 10 weeks?) and the other was Pearl Jam (more pg, but I don't remember how much). For PJ I just stayed waaaaay far away from any mosh pit craziness ;)

Go and enjoy yourself....just use some common sense, kwim?

maestramommy
10-21-2006, 06:47 PM
That early on, no problem. I think even later, the worst that can happen is that your baby starts kicking you if it gets too loud.

DebbieJ
10-21-2006, 10:12 PM
There is no reason not to go.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

writermama
10-22-2006, 09:37 AM
By all means, go. It might be a nice, early introduction to music for the babe-to-be.

OTOH, I went to several Shakespeare plays while pregnant with DD1 but much to my disappointment, she didn't come out speaking in iambic pentameter and she has never (yet) exclaimed "forsooth!"

jeniferrlynne
10-22-2006, 11:20 PM
We saw U2 in Dallas 2weeks before DS came. I was not the only preggo there either....