PDA

View Full Version : EDITED to calm info re: Balmex ingestion

Mamma2004
10-20-2006, 03:37 PM
****I didn't wait the two seconds for a response and opted to call Poison Control immediately.***

Fortunately I remembered correctly so I wanted to post for anyone reading:

Balmex, even when ingested, will cause no harm to a child. If he had eaten the whole tube, he could have ended up with a belly ache but that's it. They suggested I give him some milk or water and a snack. Whew.

Thank goodness for easy 800 numbers, as well as for these boards. Thank you all!

Stephanie

I was suspicious when clingy DS was playing quietly in his room. I found him with white Balmex smeared all over his face and I cannot tell whether he actually ingested any of it or not. He said no, then yes, then no so I have no idea.

The tube warns to call poison control if ingested. I remember a post many months ago but cannot remember the outcome.

Please advise!!!!!!

TIA,
Stephanie

writermama
10-20-2006, 03:38 PM
call poison control!

I'll search posts for you, but call now.

newnana
10-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't know about Balmex, but would say that it wouldn't hurt to call them to see what to look for. They will be your best source of information.
Michelle

himom
10-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Call poison control ASAP, they are usually able to advise you as to how much is toxic. I think the number is 1-800-222-1222.

I hope he's okay!

blueeyedb
10-20-2006, 03:43 PM
No real advice on the Balmex front, but I wanted to say you might just call poison control on the off chance he did ingest some. I had to call about a month ago b/c DS got a double dose of vitamins and the person I talked to was great. She was very calm and wasn't judgemental at all (like, what a terrible parent you are that you gave your child his vitamins twice). She told me what we would likely see if a problem were to develop, but stressed that it shouldn't be a problem. Overall, it was a very positive experience and really alleviated any worry I had.

newnana
10-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm so glad!!! Thanks for updating us so quickly. Go give him a big hug for us and we're giving you a virtual one!
Michelle

Mamma2004
10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Thank you!!! Funny how I posted here before contacting DH!

Stephanie

writermama
10-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Glad he's ok and that you're relieved.

I didn't find any old posts in my search, but I can share a similar experience -- I accidentally left a gate open and found my then 18 month old daughter upstairs in my shower with a bottle of conditioner in her mouth. I didn't know how much if any she had eaten, so I made a panicked call to poison control. They were wonderful and reassured me that DD would be fine (and she is).

So the moral of my story is: when in doubt, always call poison control -- that's why they're there. They will not be mad at you if your kid turns out to be ok and you will need them to tell you what to do if it really is serious.

bubbaray
10-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Ditto -- always call. I called when I accidentally gave DD a double dose of cold medicine. They were GREAT!

Also, for those with pets, our vet has a poison control number. I'm not sure if its the same # as for humans, but its something to keep handy, especially if your pet is a labrador retriever....

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

alleyoop
10-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I actually called the human PC for my doggy once...when she ate my Mom's estrogen perscription. They knew all the information and where really helpful. BTW, it is not too harmful for a doggy to ingest a little estrogen, though she was pretty mellow for a couple days. ;)

Marcy_O
10-20-2006, 10:40 PM
OMG aren't they so FAST! Glad he's OK. Great thinking mom!! And thanks for the info...good to know.

punkrockmama
10-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Glad to hear everything's gonna be okay!

I tell ya, the sound of silence with kids is a sure sign they are up to something,lol. :)

Mamma2004
10-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Indeed! We want them to play quietly but in the case of my DS, that is just never a good sign!

When I was his age I was playing quietly - which was typical for me - and my mom didn't give it another thought. When she finally came into my room to check on me, she was horrified to find me COVERED in blood! No tears, nothing. She then saw that I had apparently found a way to open her latched "train case" (old-fashioned piece of small luggage for containing toiletries and such). I had found her RAZOR and was playing with it. It seems I must have liked the odd red that seeped from my fingers as I continued to run the blade across them because I put those little painless slits ALL OVER my fingertips without so much as a whimper.

Needless to say, my wonderful mother was horrified! Thankfully I was fine, of course, and I don't think she left me to play alone again until I was 18!

Stephanie