PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to get a 2 year old to stop hitting

american_mama
10-20-2006, 05:06 PM
My DD will be two in a few weeks and she is in a major hitting phase. Any ideas on how to get her to stop?

Specifically, she mostly targets children her age and will pull hair, pinch arms or cheeks, and sometimes hit or push. She will do this in the blink of an eye with no provocation. She'll also do it if she is displeased with a child or if a child has something she wants, but at least that's not surprising. But several times, she has run across a room or a playground just to pull a child's hair. As you might imagine, this is making her and I a little unpopular these days.

Yesterday we went to a friend's house. We practiced things beforehand like saying Hi and waving when she wants to greet a child. We talked about and modeled being gentle. We practiced me saying "Hands down" and DD would happily put her hands down by her thighs. For an hour beforehand, DD said with excitement "See Laura, see Laura." What did she do when we got there? Ran across the room and smacked Laura on the head. Of course, the girl's mother and I try to intervene, but DD is so quick; you can say one sentence to an adult and in that span on time while your gaze is upward, she can run and hit a kid.

Any suggestions? Children are starting to whimper and run away when they see my child coming.

jillc
10-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Karen,

Ugh, that sounds really frustrating for you. Hang in there. Not sure what your parenting style is when it comes to time-outs, etc., but my first thought would be to put your DD in an immediate time-out when she pulls hair/pinches/hits/pushes.

There are a couple kiddos in our playgroup circles that occasionally hit or push, and that strategy has been pretty effective. No warning, just an immediate time-out for that type of behavior, along with an explanation like "We do not hit. Hitting hurts. Two minute time out in the other room. Let's go." And when the time out is over, most moms have their DC offer a simple apology to the child that they hit.

Good luck. It sounds like you're doing a great job at trying to teach your DD how to behave in a more friendly way. Hang in there, Mama.

Jill