PDA

View Full Version : OT: Oxiclean anyone?

Emmas Mom
10-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Just wondering if this stuff really works. Costco has the coupon for it & I've never used it so I don't know if it's worth it. Does it really work on kids clothes? Any other good uses for it?

himom
10-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I love this stuff.

I mostly use it for laundry, but it also takes almost any stain out of carpets. It's most useful with our sheets and blankets after DS has had an "accident." We had a mattress pad that still smelled like pee after three washings, but once I added the Oxiclean it came out nice and clean!

HTH!

Jodi

chlobo
10-21-2006, 07:09 AM
How do yhou use it with a front loader. I find anytime I put powder in the washer it never dissolves. Do you put it directly on the clothes instead of in the tray?

kellyotn
10-21-2006, 08:41 AM
In my front loader (older Kenmore) I just put it in the detergent dispenser. I also use powder detergent. If that didn't work, yeah, I'd just plop some on top of the clothing.

I love OxyClean. It did an amazing job on some white baby handmedowns. Those phantom spit-up stains that show up when clothing is in storage? Gone. Its excellent for spit-up and baby poop stains. We're out of that stage now, but it is still great on grass stains, blood, etc. I soak any tough stains, and use it in every white or light load. It lasts forever now that we don't have blowout stains, etc. :)

I also use it for carpets. We have a home steam cleaner, instead of the sudsy Hoover soap I spray some dissolved OxyClean on the carpet and steam that up. (Less suds and residue.)

Emmas Mom
10-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok, I think I'm going to pick some up. I like the idea of using it with a steam cleaner too. As far as using it in the wash goes, do you just follow the directions (like add one scoop, two scoops, etc.) or do you find you need to add more to get stains out?

lizajane
10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
try dissolving it first in really hot tap water

kellyotn
10-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I use regular detergent, plus a couple tablespoons of OxyClean. (They did recently change their scoop, the new one is larger, the old one was pretty small and I just used 1 full scoop. But I think its different now.) For really grass-stained or dirty whites, I may use more.

For nasty stains - poop, blood, pasta sauce, etc. I soak in hot, hot water with a couple tablespoons OxyClean in the sink prior to washing.

When my daughter was born, I had tons and tons of handmedown clothes, onsies, and spit-rags. Even though they were boxed up clean, when we pulled them out they had lots of spit-ups stains. I ran a hot bath and used about a cup of OxyClean to soak 'em all at once. Worked wonders.

megs4413
10-21-2006, 11:54 AM
i use the oxy clean baby spray bottle and spray directly on the clothes to pretreat. works like a charm!

kozachka
10-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Combined with boiling-hot water it works wonders on most stains :). I even some with me when we relocated to Ukraine, that's how much I love this stuff. We prefer Baby Oxyclean, which does not have fragnance, not sure if it's an option at Costco.

maestramommy
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I LOVE Oxyclean. Never heard of it before Dora came along, but now I use it all the time. I soak all her bibs and food-stained clothing in it for a few days before laundry. Everything comes right out!

kcandz
10-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I hereby volunteer to be the counter-opinion. Oxyclean is OK. I don't have carpets but have previously bought it for clothes. I *only* used it for whites or pale clothes because I always experience fading with brights and darks. This is not for ordinary use, but for soaking-the-tough-stain clothes, where I up the concentration per the container recommendations.

I never had any luck with either the regular or baby versions of the spray spot remover. I am a tried-and-true Dreft Spot Remover acolyte.

Now I use the environmentally-friendly alternative for Oxyclean powder, again just for whites/pale clothes. I think it is from bio-kleen. It is more expensive than a giant Costco tub of Oxyclean.

mama4jc
10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I've tried Oxyclean and I think it's OK...just recently bought OxyBoost, which has a higher concentration of the whitening agent and am hoping that will work better. I think it works out to be chaper (though shipping charges are high) since you use less. HTH :)