PDA

View Full Version : OT-calcification - excisional biopsy or wait it out?

stefani
10-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello,

This is not about DS, for once, but about me...

I had a mammogram, and it came out "abnormal" because there is some microcalcifications (about 8 "dots" clustered nearby). Because of where it is (superficial) and the size of my breast (small), they cannot do any of the needle biopsies. So the type of biopsy to be done is the excisional open surgery biopsy, with wire localization, which essentially removing the area (no palpable lumps nor visible mass, just those microcalcifications). The pattern is in between what is considered benign, and malignant (not sure either way). The other option is wait 4-6 months, another diagnostic mammogram, and see if there is any more microcalcifications. If so, then have to do the biopsy, if not repeat another 6 months, etc. until 2 years, before can be declared benign. I keep going back an forth on what I think I want done...

If it were malignant, I would go for the biopsy, but with 15% chance of it being malignant, I am not sure of risking so much for the surgery.

Anyone BTDT? Any input on what you would do in my shoes?

TIA.

tny915
10-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi,

I had a surgical biopsy just over a year ago for some microcalcifications that turned out to be benign. Needle biopsy wasn't an option for me as well. My doctor and the surgeon also told me that the chances for malignancy were very slim. Even so, all the what-ifs were very scary to me.

I was still nursing my daughter at the time the mammogram first detected the calcium deposits. The surgeon would have immediately done the surgery at that point, even with the slim chance of malignancy, but she preferred that I wean before surgery. She also said there was a chance that the calcification was related to the nursing. I weaned, we waited two months for the milk production to subside, and I then had another mammogram to see if anything changed. Things hadn't, so I went in for surgery two days later.

To me, it was very important to know what was going on, benign or malignant. Surgery wasn't presented to me as a choice like it's being presented to you. If I had a choice of wait 6 months or get a biopsy now, I would always choose the surgery, because if god forbid it turned out malignant, I don't know how I would have dealt with the fact that I chose to wait.

The surgery itself went very quickly. I was admitted in the morning, surgery was done by about noon and I chose to rest and nap in the hospital room for a couple hours. I was home by dinner, and then the next day went back to my normal routine for the most part. Soreness went away in about a week, and the surgeon used those dissolving stitches so I never even had to go back for a follow up. I got the good news in 3 days, and knowing lifted a tremendous weight off my shoulders.

Good luck with your decision, and feel free to send me a PM.

JBaxter
10-22-2006, 06:53 AM
I wasnt quite in your shoes but I am really glad I decided to biopsy a mole on my arm. It was malignant. I would MAKE sure your not in the 15%. I know my judgement is clouded right now but you life is to important to leave to any chance :)

missym
10-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Another vote for checking it out. Different situation, different type of cancer, but I owe my life to an early biopsy of a lump on my arm. My doctor was almost certain it was nothing to worry about.

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way. Big hugs, mama!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **

lilycat88
10-22-2006, 12:13 PM
My mom had a history of "calcifications" showing up on her mammogram for years and years. She was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer almost 3 years ago. Her surgeon and oncologist said she had probably had it for 7ish years before being correctly identified. Not all malignancies show up as a lump. So, I'm always for identifying anything unidentifiable in my body. Based on *my* family history, I would go ahead and do it if it were me. I can say that before my mom was diagnosed, I probably would have waited the 4-6 months since we didn't have a history of breast cancer in my family.

jd11365
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm with Jeana and Missy on this one. Different type of cancer, but cancer none the less. And it was ONLY diagnosed though biopsy. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with any of it and have it done. And since it's most likely benign or in a micro form, best to have whatever it is removed, imho. It's just not worth leaving to chance. Again, jmho.

stefani
11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it that you took the time to reply.

I went to have a breast thermography, which was not mentioned by the surgeon, and according to a friend of mine, that is considered "alternative medicine" so will not be suggested by mainstream doctors. Anyway, the results take 2 weeks, so I am still waiting for that before deciding whether to have the surgery or not.

Thanks again.

stefani
11-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Hello all,

I decided to go for the excisional biopsy. It is scheduled for 29 November. I would appreciate good vibes sent my way :-)

Thank you for all of your replies & support.

tny915
11-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi Stefani,
I emailed you. If it didn't get through, let me know.

stefani
11-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Terri,

It didn't get through :-(
I PM'd you, did you get that?

ETD e-mail address.

Thanks.

tny915
11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Hmm, didn't get the PM.
But I just emailed you again. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll keep trying!

stefani
11-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Got your e-mail, thanks. Somewhat your e-mail went to my old e-mail address, although I have changed it in my profile a long time ago...

E-mailed you back directly.

Thanks a lot Terri.

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 10:39 PM
I think you are doing the right thing, and here are good healthy vibes your way.

I had to get just a needle biopsy sometime recently, and it was very scary (but ultimately ok, thanks to all who posted what seems like way back when). Hugs and good thoughts your way. Keep us posted.

stefani
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
So I had the surgery yesterday.

Ugh, the needle wire localization was painful, but I survived it.

I just got a call from the nurse in the surgeon office, that there is no cancer in the mass taken out. That is a big relief. Now I can just concentrate on recuperating from the surgery.

Thank you all for your kind words and good vibes.

Wife_and_mommy
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
What a relief and hugs to you. I missed the original thread but am glad all is okay. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

jd11365
11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Thank goodness...and what a relief! So glad this is all but a memory now for you!

bubbaray
11-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Congratulations on the great results! Hope you feel better soon!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

tny915
11-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Great news, Stefani!

I was thinking of you yesterday and am so glad to hear that it was benign. Take it easy during recovery.