PDA

View Full Version : OT: Easy way to punch holes in fabric?

sarahsthreads
10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm making some Christmas gifts that involve setting in snaps and eyelets. (These fun learn-to-dress snakes: http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa041898.htm) The problem is that they have to go through two layers of (cotton) fabric and two layers of high-loft batting. Yeah, I know. The other problem is that when all is said and done there are 12 sets of snaps and 32 eyelets to do. Yeah....I know.

DH is using the drill press to set the snaps in so they're nice and secure, but I have to cut all the holes first. I just spent over an hour using embroidery scissors to cut holes for the bottom half of the snap sets and can't fathom doing this for 3+ more hours for the top half of the snaps and all those eyelets. So is there a fun, exciting tool I can use that I just don't know about? Preferably one that can be obtained at a B&M store first thing tomorrow for $20 or less? They're jumbo snaps and large eyelets, so I'm looking to make approximately 1/4"-3/8" holes.

Thanks!
Sarah :)

JTsMom
10-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Have you tried using a regular drill? I don't know if it would work, but it might.

missym
10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I use a leather punch when I need to make holes for eyelets. If I'm concerned about fraying, I use a dot of Fraycheck on the area first. If there's not a Tandy Leather in your area, you might call your local craft store to see if they have something similar.

This is what I use:
http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=3003-00

ETA: If you do get one of these, be sure to use a cutting board or piece of wood, because it will cut through to your table! Ask me how I know... ;)

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **

dylansnan
10-23-2006, 05:34 AM
I second the leather punch or something similar. I would think Joannes or Micheals would have them.

Also wanted to say what a great project!! I'd love to see pics when they are finished!

sarahsthreads
10-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The leather punches didn't work. I bought the kind that look like big pliers and they didn't work, but I thought it was because I wasn't strong enough, so I went back to Michael's (they must think I'm loony) and bought the kind you hammer. Those didn't work either. DH couldn't get either one to work when he got home, so I guess it's not because I'm a total wimp. He also doesn't think the drill is a good idea. (Doesn't want to mess up my project, or doesn't want to mess up his drill? Hmmm.)

Anyway, I guess it's back to the old embroidery scissors. At this point I've spent more time running around trying to find a tool that would work than I would have if I'd just given in and cut the silly holes in the first place. :P

I'll update with pictures when they're (hopefully!) done in a day or two.

Thanks again!
Sarah :)