PDA

View Full Version : What Gives You Baby Lust?

Raidra
10-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Just out of curiosity..

What makes you want to have another baby? Is it holding another mom's newborn? Is it cuteness of your own kids? Is it looking at old baby pictures? Is it reading about the latest baby gadgets? ;)

Being around my own kids makes me want to have more. They're so sweet and funny, and they give the best hugs.. it just makes me want more of that. When I old other people's young babies, though, it doesn't do much for me. I mean, they're cute, but they don't give me baby lust. I just discovered my husband is the opposite.. he got to hold my friend's 5 month old the other day (probably his first time holding a baby since Lachlann was born), and he told me that it made him think he might want another. Not that he's ready to start now, he was quick to add.. but still.

So, what does it for you?

kijip
10-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Pictures of Toby as an infant. :)

wencit
10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Definitely pictures of my own newborn baby. After the sleep deprivation torture of his early days, I swore up and down to my husband that DS would be an only, LOL! But looking at his sweet pictures back when he was about 2 weeks old and I could practically hold him in one hand, it made me realize why women have more and more babies. :)

Strangely enough, newborn pics of other people's kids are adorable, but they don't stir up the same kind of baby lust.

CharmedOne
10-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Yup, pictures of DS as a newborn and strangely enough pictures of my pregnant belly. DH took pictures every week to track the progress. I loved being pregnant. I just get jealous when I see pregnant mamas with their cute round bellies!

Too bad I'm starting a new job this week, otherwise we would be TTC NOW. ;)

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif 16 months

trumansmom
10-23-2006, 12:49 PM
I saw a woman nursing a 5 month old at IKEA last week. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I probably looked creepy because I couldn't stop staring at the two of them. I guess the fact that DD weaned just a few weeks ago made it more intense.

Most days, however, I am quite content with our decision to stop at two.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

madelinesmom
10-23-2006, 12:52 PM
How many ways can I say NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

jse107
10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Watching Owen develop. I think the 2's are such a great time--challenging but fun! It really makes me want to have another one.

pb&j
10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
DS finally not being a newborn any more!

I still have a hard time looking at his newborn pics - I was sooooo sleep deprived that newborns just scare me. But my cute little eating, crawling, babbling, laughing, bouncing 9 m.o. makes me want another. Someday. In theory.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

randomkid
10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I have to agree with OP. Holding someone else's baby really doesn't do it. However, pictures/video of DD when she was an infant bring it out, but oddly enough, when I see someone who is pg. This is the really odd thing about it, though. If I know the woman and I know that it is her first child, I don't have the lust so much. However, if I know it's her second or third child, I just really start to want another. I'd love to be pg again (without the 9 months of nausea of course!), but really would not enjoy the sleep deprivation.

I also get baby lust when I think about DD being an only. I'd really love to have a sibling for her. Plus, I'd like to do it all again and have the chance to do things differently this time. Somehow, I think it would be easier since you kind of know what to expect, even though each baby is different.

aliceinwonderland
10-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Nothing. Weird, huh? I wonder if something is the matter with me :)

schums
10-23-2006, 01:17 PM
AMEN, sister!!!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Knowing that at 43 I just can't.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

newnana
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Everything. Weird, huh? I wonder if something is the matter with me :)

Seriously, probably more so because I know DH is adamantly against it right now, but the thought of being pregnant, seeing someone pregnant, the thought of nursing, ads of someone nursing, seeing DD do anything-anything at all. Looking at baby pics of her, playing with her, seeing her with DH, you name it. I'm in crazy baby lust way over my head.
Michelle

elephantmeg
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Holding newborns at work!

katiesmommy
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I get baby lust whenever I so much as see a newborn. And god forbid if I hold one I'm basically emotionally drooling over the want for another. Otherwise, I'm fine. Nothing else does it. Well, except for when I want baby cuddles from my little miss independent, and she won't give them to me. Then I want another. And when I see other moms breastfeeding their babies, big or small, because I had to stop breastfeeding Katie at 6 months, I feel like I got jipped on that end.

BillK
10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Every time I see a little girl adopted from China it makes me want to fly there to adopt. Maybe some day my wife will be more agreeable to the flying involved and we can do that - for now it's a Korean adoption to get Zach a little brother (which I can't wait for!).

I'm not sure why but ever since we started down the path of adoption I've been drawn to the China program.

disneymom2
10-23-2006, 03:52 PM
all of the above! holding a newborn, my own DS cute smile, seeing his baby pics again, seeing that cool new stroller! It all does it for me! Number 2 is due in January and I am already thinking when to plan #3!

Melanie
10-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Seeing a sweet sleeping or docile tiny baby. I never ever thought I'd have baby lust again, and certainly not with Dd at 1, and I CERTAINLY LOGICALLY do not want any more children. However, I definitely get those baby lust pangs. Maybe it's the definitive end to ever having any more babies that does it. I didn't experience it after Ds was born (and he was way more of a docile baby than Dd).

ETA: And of course, now, seeing early photos of both of my children.

Wife_and_mommy
10-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Holding/seeing/hearing any young infant. I wish I could handle raising 20 children because I *loved* being pg and *loved* birthing.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

scoop22
10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
i agree.

looking at pictures of ds does it to me. also, putting away ds little clothing. buying clothing for other babies. i also think of it often when a friend announces their due date. seeing woman pg.

this coming from someone who never wanted to have another one.

dh is going to love this..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

Alice523
10-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I am the same way! DS is only 10.5 months so we are nowhere near trying for #2. When he was 6 weeks old (6 weeks!), I saw a pregnant Gwyneth Paltrow in an interview and I was jealous. I felt like I had completely lost it.

Lovingliv
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Looking at my 18 month old,,,,and all that I get back from her. The reward is amazing.....I could have 20 of these kiddos!

barbarhow
10-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Whatever it is you have-I have it, too. The thought of a 3rd child is enough to give me a twitch. ;-)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

ellies mom
10-23-2006, 06:33 PM
For me, it was realizing that my husband really would regret not having a second child. I am pretty content with just the one although I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit that a nice stroller or sling makes me turn my head. ;) He didn't come right out and say it but every so often he'd make some random comment. Finally, I pushed him on the issue and he admitted that he didn't want Ellie to be an only child and that he did want two children.

jayali
10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Ditto! Wish I had started earlier, because then there would be hope for one more!

KBecks
10-23-2006, 07:07 PM
For me, it's enjoying Alek and wanting more toddler time..... I don't love the newborn stage, but the 1 to 2 year period has been so fun!

MelissaTC
10-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Remembering my little guy as a baby. He was so small and smelled so sweet. Now he is big and stinky. LOL.

I can not wait until we get to hold Maggie in our arms. I am in serious baby lust right now.

lizajane
10-23-2006, 07:52 PM
funny you should ask. i JUST went to the hospital today to hold a close friend's brand spankin' new little sweetie. he was just over 12 hours old. looked just like his brother. made cooing sounds. pursed his tiny lips. and the feel of that tiny-ness in my arms made me want to jump up and race outta there with him!!!

this is the WEIRDEST thing, but the HOSPITAL makes me want another one!!! i remember the excitement of walking in while feeling horrifying pain, knowing that i would walk out with a whole new family member. that feeling of finally getting to meet him (i have two "hims") was the most amazing thing i have ever felt. and lemme tell ya, my labor was NOT like heavy menstrual cramps like i have heard people say. we are talking run over by a frieght train pain. but still the site of that birthday center gives me major warm fuzzies.

Elilly
10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Pictures of nursing babes or remembering nursing my kiddos. Oddly, holding someone else's baby doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's a self-defense mechanism?

Raidra
10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh, that's totally not weird. At least, not for me. I'm always at the hospital where I gave birth (I work there), and you'd think that the years of being an employee would outweigh the few days I spent there as a patient, but nope. Every time I drive up to the hospital, I'm immediately reminded of my pregancies and deliveries. Just the idea that there are other mothers up there giving birth to their own children, while I'm doing mindless work-crap..

JacksMommy
10-23-2006, 09:50 PM
My friends telling me they are pregnant. In a big way.

Holding friends' newborns has never done it for me, but teaching babywearing classes to new moms and watching them get excited about new slings and carriers has been getting me in the baby mood again!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

Dcclerk
10-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Nothing.

And I'm pregnant with #3 :) It's not that the baby isn't wanted; s/he absolutely is and was planned, but I do not lust after having a baby. Indeed, I'm apparently one of the few BBB-ers out there who prefers the year and older set. Babies are cute and fine, but I really love the personalities that come out later. (Good thing, too, since my two have personality in abundance.) Baby lust? Nope.

denna
10-24-2006, 03:27 AM
ITA w/ the OP. I have always known that I want children, and by no means do I just want ONE! It was always the baby themselves that made me want to have more, and that has stayed true w/ DS. I look at him and though he is still a baby, from about 2 weeks old (after I had semi-forgotten) the pains of labor, and the annoyances of pregnancy I was already telling DH I wanted another, of course he thinks Im insane, but oh well(!) I know I want more, seeing DS's lil smile everyday makes me want more now(!)

KrisM
10-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Not sure if I've missed an announcement or not, but congratulations on #3!

newnana
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah, I'm with you. No joke: as they were stitching me up (tear) and DH was cutting the cord I said to my doctor that I was ready to do this again. Why did I wait so long to do this?

ribbit1019
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree with Jacksmommy, when someone tells me they are pregnant I get a major case of the baby wants. I enjoy being pregnant and love (almost) every second of it.
Of course it helps when I get open mouthed kisses from my 7 month old. It makes me sad when I see DD and know that he will be big and want very little to do with me much too soon.

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/0vphm4.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/uy3Mm4.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

Puddy73
10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Holding a new baby - the sweet smell, the little grunts and sighs. My DC are not snugglers and both started walking at 8 months, so I miss holding a little one. I think DS' approaching first birthday is intensifying my baby lust since I realize that he is not a baby anymore. I got teary when I was packing up his little Robeez last weekend.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Tondi G
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM
UM.... I don't think there was an announcement but CONGRATS girl! When are you due??? A happy and healthy 9 months to you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

caheinz
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Congrats!

And you're not the only one who prefers the babes a little older. I love my own, but other babies really don't do anything at all for me.

sdbc
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Another nothing here. I'm quite happy with my 2.5 year old. Holding other people's babies never has done much for me. Holding my own was completely different, and now that I have DD, I feel fulfilled. As I tell DD, she will ALWAYS be my baby. :)

The only thing that makes me ever consider having another is seeing her interact with her older cousins. Still, for me, I don't think it's enough of a reason to have another baby, by itself.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

egan284
10-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I got baby lust when I was ttc. Every time I looked at pregnant mamas, I was green with envy. Now that I, myself, am pregnant, I still can't believe it :D . But the morning sickness is kicking in hard and that is reminder enough ;) .

mommyto4
10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
EVERYTHING!!! I absolutely love having a baby in the house. The crying and sleepless night don't bother me. It is so calming to hold a new born, at least to me. For me, holding a baby somehow make the world seem so right. The kids can be running around, tearing the house apart but, as long as I have a baby in my arms, everything is perfect. Now, you got me going, I want another baby but, I'm 42 and my tubes were tied 6 1/2 years ago after DS was born. WAHHHHH!!!

smilequeen
10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Um, EVERYTHING at the moment.

Mostly, seeing or holding a newborn and looking through Simon's old pictures. Plus just the pure sweetness of my son makes me want another.

Alice523
10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
That gets me, too - driving by the hospital and thinking about all of the mothers who are having babies today.

missym
10-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Congratulations, Kerry!!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **