PDA

View Full Version : appts for yourself (with or without bringing the kids)

c914
10-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Just curious

how does everyone manage things like dentist and doctors appointments with children in tow?

I'd prefer not to (and I know that the professionals appreciate it too) - but we are new to our current neighborhood, MIL is a hr and a half away, so babysitters aren't at my immediate disposal.

I took DS (16 months) along on my OB check last week - but I felt funny about it. Luckily they were running on schedule and we were outta there quickly.

Now its been another 2 months since my last haircut and I am way overdue for a DDS checkup (cleaning etc); Is this how moms get to look the way they do?

Carla

MarisaSF
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a friend nearby and she and I "share" our girls two days a week -- she takes my DD one morning and I take hers another morning. We arrange any appts during those times as much as possible.

I don't know how common this is, but the hospital/medical center near me has drop-in childcare. I was so happy to find it. I can use it for doctor appts for a pretty small fee ($5?). It's set up so you can use it if you're visiting someone in the hospital or going to an appt for yourself or another child.

Other than that, I try to schedule appts when DH can come along or be home with DD. When DD was smaller, I'd bring her for certain appts, but now I don't consider it. You remind me that I need a haircut!

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you!

wencit
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I found a dentist who works on Saturdays (and my hairdresser has been doing that for years), so DH watches the baby.

Also, there are always lots of kids at my OB's office, so I don't think they mind. I guess it kind of depends on the practice, though.

gatorsmom
10-23-2006, 03:05 PM
When we were new to our neighborhood, I had the same problem. I had my husband babysit on saturdays and evenings so I could go to the dentist/doctor/hairstylist. After I made an effort to meet and get to know some other mothers nearby, I made "baby- swapping" arrangments with them. I get their boys on Thursdays and they get mine on Fridays. I also got to know some highschool girls at our church who babysit. Church is a great way to meet other mothers, even if you aren't particularly religious. I've made lots of friends there at our church's "mom's day out" group and so have my kids.

niccig
10-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm like the other pps. Either I swap with another mum in our playgroup, get a babysitter or schedule the time with DH. I can take DS to one doctor's appt as they always run on time, I don't know how they do that, and it's a very quick check of my thyroid, and blood test. For these visits, DS gets a ton of snacks, toys, books, anything to keep him occupied for the 5 mins in the waiting room and the 10 mins in the exam room.
Hope you can get it worked out.
Nicci

aa2mama
10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
For an OB appointment I might take DS since I'm in and out of there in like 5 minutes but for the dentist and hairdresser not at all. I go to cheapie hairplaces that are open weekends for haircuts. For dentists I schedule DH and I back to back appointments and keep DS in the waiting area with one of us. My sister is a dental assistant and sometimes moms bring along their kids without another adult. Usually it's a stressful experience for all and if the kids are too out of hand, they have to ask the mom to reschedule for a time that she can come by herself. I contemplated signing up DS for a once a week playgroup (drop-off) to have a morning just for child-free errands. Now that I know people in my area, I trade childcare with a friend.

lizajane
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
mothers morning out/preschool. i am supposed to be working from home those two mornings/week, but it never happens because i am always madly squeezing in every appt.

hez
10-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Payton's gone to my last two dentist appointments-- so at 2 1/2 and 3. He did extremely well, the dentist's office has a dinosaur you on which you can practice brushing teeth (very fun) as well as a Gameboy. Payton has no idea how to use a Gameboy, but it entertained him. He did super, super well, and has a positive opinion of the dentist now.

He went to my hair cut & color (which ended up lasting 4 hours) on Friday with me, and did fabulously. He had a container full of toys that kept him busy and he charmed all the ladies in the beauty shop.

At 16 months it would have been harder to keep him occupied for quite so long. But now that he's older and has had practice entertaining himself with his toys and books, it's easier to bring him along.