PDA

View Full Version : Darn...we missed our chance to find out the baby's sex.

SpaceGal
10-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Man, we went into our sonogram not wanting to know the baby's sex. I'm 20 weeks, and the technician asked us before we started if we wanted to find out what the sex was and we said no. Of course during the whole check, I lied there thinking man I'm kind of curious and yeah it would be nice to know. I guess DH had the same feelings while he was there with me. We didn't really talk to each other during the whole thing just so that the technician could see and catch what she needed to.

Of course after the sono, we both sat in the waiting room to wait and see the doctor and we decided we wanted to know. So we figured maybe we'll ask the doctor about it. So we go and ask the doctor and at that point, the technician had stepped out to lunch and they said we could try calling later and asking. We also found out this will probably be the only sono we have assuming all goes smoothly (such a contrast from DS that I had so many sonos because he was measuring small). DARN!!

I called...no luck I told the secretary that we don't want to trouble the tech unless it's easy and she recalls...I don't want her back tracking like nuts just for that...but DARN!

Man now that we want to know it's a weird feeling from when we didn't want to know. Hehehe oh well, the doctor did mention that mayb next time they can slip me in really quick and check but I hate doing that, I feel like I'm being troublesome.

Oh well...not a bitch, just a shoot we missed our chance.

C99
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Whenever I've had it done, the tech told me that if the parents don't want to know the sex, they don't even look. Apparently, they don't need the between-the-legs shot for diagnostic purposes, so the tech may not even have looked.

SpaceGal
10-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Really??

Wow I didn't know that. I guess it makes sense. At our office, all I know is that if the parents don't want to know they don't write it down that way the doctor won't slip give the surprise away. Oh well...I guess "we'll live" not knowing. :)

bcky2
10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
that sucks, but i have a funny feeling in about 20 weeks you will find out ;)

Wife_and_mommy
10-23-2006, 10:29 PM
LOL. That's the only reason I was able to wait to find out. There was only one sono and I only had to be "strong" for a few minutes. The doc didn't check after I said no so if you really want to know, I'd do the quick check your ob offered. That's really nice of him.

Although, we weren't surprised with DD and it was so much more fun not knowing with DS. It was worth the wait to be the announcer of what gender we were blessed with a few minutes after his birth. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

Melanie
10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Really? I guess I always thought they'd check and write it cryptically in your chart; since they've always written the sex of our sonograms in the chart (though we wanted to know).

megs4413
10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
i'd do the quick check, but i'm the kind of person that finds my Christmas gifts hidden in the bedroom closet, opens them all, and wraps them back up to open on christmas.....i have NO patience at all! i cried when we found out last week...it was awesome! and i'm so glad i found out as we were not expecting this one....

denna
10-24-2006, 03:24 AM
That is the exact feeling that I was imagining when I first got pregnant. I told DH I didnt want to know but then changed my mind b/c of all the planning and decorating. So luckily we decided before the ultrasound that we wanted to know. Now w/ the next DC I am POSITIVE I dont want to know. I want the announcement at birth.

To the OP, if you guys really want to know that badly then I would take your OB up on the offer. You get another chnace to see your DC ;).

JTsMom
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Have them check when they do the fetal echo. :) Glad to hear everything is looking good- I'll reply to your email later on.

Tondi G
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
It's not that bothersome for them to do a quick check.... it only takes a couple of minutes! I had the same tech all thoughout my pregnancies and she was SO great! She saw us through our 2 MC's and when I was pregnant with Aidan she told me if at any time I was there for an appointment and wanted to look in on my little guy just to come down on my own and if she wasn't too busy she would do a quick scan for us!

I am so impatient I wouldn't be able to wait! We found out with both of our boys at around 16 weeks! They weren't shy in the least bit!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

ajmom
10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
It was never written in my chart, even though we found out all 3 times. This time we found out it was a girl (after 2 boys) and when I went to see my OB afterwards, he was quite surprised to find out the sex when I told him. I thought he would have known already, but he said the sex isn't really a part of the report- just that everything is normal.