PDA

View Full Version : new to the suburbs with a weird question

nyc_mom
10-23-2006, 09:32 PM
HI all,

Just moved to the 'burbs and now that the cold weather is coming I have no idea how to dress the kids so that I'm not compromising car seat safety. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. What do you guys dress them in when you are always in and out of the car going to stores and stuff? I'd think a winter coat/parka would be too puffy, but what about when it's freezing outside? And what about the baby? My stroller isn't car seat compatible so I can't just get one of those sunggly car seat "cover-ups", I have to take her out to put her in the stroller. I hope this isn't too crazy of a post. THanks!

nyc_mom

DebbieJ
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
One word: FLEECE

I had my DS in a Land's End fleece bunting all last winter. This year he's got the Land's End Squall.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

ShanaMama
10-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Deb- do you find that the fleece is warm enough to last all winter? I've resisted buying it till now because I thought it would only be good for the first couple of months. Or do you put on another layer for real snowstorms?

DebbieJ
10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
I have an attached garage. And really, if I'm running into a store, it's like 30 seconds. That doesn't require a parka.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

cmdunn1972
10-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I remove DS's heavy parka right before buckling him in the car seat and put it back on as I'm taking him out. Of course, I run the heater while I'm driving so it's not freezing in there!

HTH!

psophia17
10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Tons of blankets - we moved from NYC to upstate NY in mid-January 2004, when DS was just weeks old. We had a Bundle Me in his infant seat, but when we were taking him out of it oudoors, he'd go right into a stroller lined in fleece or acrylic blankets, and I always had at least 3 more blankets stuffed around him.

I liked fleece and acrylic for winter use because they tend to stay dry, where flannel or other natural fibers (except for wool) would've.

super_grape
10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
We do fleece too and love it!

Last year we bought one of these suits for my
then 2 year old DD and just bought one for our
9 month old.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444224 0603&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302734821&bmUID=1161709658089

A friend of mine used a Columbia fleece suit
for her baby last winter and she really liked it as well.

We live in Canada and it gets pretty cold up here :P . My DD
always seemed comfortable and we usually bundled her up
with blankets (those big fake fur like baby blankets worked
REALLY well!) in the stroller.

HTH!
Holly

nyc_mom
10-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Okay. So I think I might get a fleece bunting for the baby. When your DS wore one was it a pain to take on and off once you got into the store?

nyc_mom

nyc_mom
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!
nyc_mom