PDA

View Full Version : irrational fears in pregnancy

megs4413
10-24-2006, 10:13 AM
I have a friend (seriously it's not me!) who is about two weeks behind me in pregnancy (so 18 wks) and is struggling with fear of spiders! she was moderately afraid before she was pregnant like a lot of people are (honey come kill this spider!) but nothing too bad. Suddenly in this pregnancy she has started to really be afraid as in like a phobia. It's beginning to interfere with her day to day functioning. She was in the car last week driving on her lunch break and she *thought* she saw a spider crawl across the dash board. She threw the car in park (in the middle of the road!) and jumped out screaming. A nice fellow motorist stopped to help her and pulled her car off the road, turned the flashers on and tried to find the spider. She had to call a coworker to come pick her up and her husband had to drive out to her and get the car picked up ...she woudln't get back in the car, though. He tried to convince her he'd found it and killed it, but she asked him "what color was it?" and he said, "brown". She insists it was orange. She's starting to think that she hallucinated it. She's not on any medication and is having a very uneventful first pregnancy overall. What on earth coudl this be? This was one incident I wanted to describe, but this isn't the only incident that has occurred. I asked her what would have happened if she'd been on the highway when she saw the spider, and she said she would have done the exact same thing---VERY SCARY! she's lucky she didn't get in an accident the first time...she has a 30 minute highway commute to work everyday and I don't think it's safe to have her driving right now. Have you heard of anything like this? I told her to talk to her doc, but the nurse in the office said it was normal. I've never heard of anything like this! What should I tell her?