PDA

View Full Version : Who does the cooking?

scoop22
10-24-2006, 02:20 PM
who does the cooking at your house? i feel really bad these days. i go to work, work late and have no time to cook. so dh is doing all the cooking. although he loves to do it.

just wondering if i am the only one who doesn't cook..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

dhano923
10-24-2006, 03:02 PM
I do. We both work FT -- he picks up DS from school and gets home around 5, and I pick up DD from my parent's house and get home around 5:30-5:45. I make dinner while he plays with the kids, then we eat around 7. Then he loads the dishwasher, wipes the counter and puts the leftovers away while I play with the kids.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
You are definately not the only one who doesn't cook. Of course, it's not because I get home too late - I'm a SAHM! It started when I was pregnant and didn't really want to be around food being prepped, so DH took over. Then, after I had DD, I was always nursing when it came to dinner time so DH continued to cook. He really enjoys it and he is way better at it than I am so he's the chef around here. I feel bad sometimes, but when I taste his food, I am so much happier that he cooked!

elliput
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
DH practically all the cooking. Occaisionally, I'll take a turn.

lizajane
10-24-2006, 05:55 PM
we used to cook 50/50. then when i was pregnant and ill, it was 98/2 with DH doing most. then it was about 85/15 with me doing more when schuyler was the only kiddo. back to 98/2 dh when i was pregnant with dylan. now dh often missed dinner. so it is 98/2 with my cooking, but he does cook when he is around.

katerinasmom
10-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Cook? Is that what that brand new double-oven range in our newly expanded kitchen is for? I really thought it was a giant trivet for the hot pan that comes out of the toaster oven with the leftover pizza on it. With two full time working parents and schedules that only coincide twice a week, we don't do much cooking. Thank goodness DD eats at MIL's everyday.

In all seriousness, when we do actually cook in our own home, we are usually working together with each of us holding very strong and usually opposite opinions on how to do things. Makes for fun.

HallsofVA
10-24-2006, 07:51 PM
My DH does all of the major cooking. It was a condition of our marriage - He told me that when/if we got married the kitchen would be off limits to me! He used to cook in a restaurant, so I don't mind. It took a couple of years to get him out of the habit of cooking for lots of people, and boy can he make a mess in the kitchen, but the food's always really good.

I'm a CPA and I joke that I cook like an accountant. I'm great with recipies, but not a creative cooking bone in my body. Occasionally he'll let me into the kitchen to bake cookies or baklava, but he does most everything else.

barbarhow
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
The nights we are both home we split 50/50. We both love to cook so it works out well. I have a couple nights a week alone with the kids so obviously I cook on those nights. In total, I do the majority of the cooking. Hope that makes sense.

Raidra
10-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Currently my husband does all of the dinners, while I'm responsible for things like holiday desserts and birthday cakes. But that arrangement has only been in place for the past.. 8-10 months or so, when we started trying to eat healthy. Before then I would cook, and dinner was stuff like Hamburger Helper and whatnot. We ate a lot earlier then, but the food wasn't nearly as good. :) That arrangement started shortly after Colwyn was born, and before *that* my husband was the cook.

So, I figure after another year or so of my husband cooking, it'll be my turn again.

oliviasmomma
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Me. I cook and DH does dishes--it works for us since I love to cook and DH loves to eat!

JBaxter
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
I do most of the cooking unless it has to do with the grill. DH is the grill master.

stefani
10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
DH does. He has a lot of food allergies, I don't, he likes to cook more than I do, is a better cook than I am... thus he is the chef!

sdoyle
10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
DH cooks almost exclusively. We live in a city with a HORRIBLE commute and I work in the city and he works 1 mile from home so he always leaves later than I and returns earlier- therefore he cooks! I do help him out by going to Let's Dish once a month to freeze a few things. It makes me feel like I help and gives us some variety from his usual spaghetti, soup, etc....

aliceinwonderland
10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
All me :) My DH does not even know how to peel garlic, for example (well, he does now...)

bostonsmama
10-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I cook 6/10 meals a week. I usually cover dinner M-F since DH can work pretty late. Then on weekends he'll usually make a breakfast or lunch and then dinners on both weekend days. He's a phenomenal cook: lots of ethnic dishes that satiate his hispanic tastes (most often w/ lime, cilantro, cumin, corn-meal, tortillas & pork). But even 6/10 is misleading since I'm a needy cook who doesn't like to be in the kitchen alone. I frequently will ask him to start a pot of water, chop an onion or debone a chicken. He's my little sous chef. Unforunately, I'm still stuck doing the dishes (thank God for dishwashers).

When I had a really busy job where I brought "homework" home, I ONLY cooked on the weekends. It was a miracle I even got fed. I have the strictest admiration for both WOH and SAH moms.

L

sarahsthreads
10-24-2006, 09:36 PM
You're all going to hate me. I'm a SAHM and DH *still* does about 75% of the cooking. Big pots of chili, soups, desserts, and birthday cakes are my domain, everyday dinners are his. It started when I was on bed rest for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy, continued during those first several sleep-deprived weeks, and then DH discovered he likes to cook. I appreciate it even more now, because DD gets up from her nap pretty late (4:30-ish), so I'm usually dealing with grumpy, clingy, needy toddler stuff when he gets home from work.

I'd say he cooks four nights out of the week, I cook one, and we eat leftovers the other two nights. Also, I figure since I deal with making breakfast and lunch for the kiddo every day, it's not *that* unfair!

Sarah :)

denna
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
You(!) are definitely NOT the only one. Im glad to hear I'm not either :)! We both work FT but since we were dating DH has taken the role of chef (w/ no arguments from me by the way). I do ALL of the cleanup etc, but Ive just never been a fan of cooking...