PDA

View Full Version : Who installs your carseat?

katiesmommy
10-24-2006, 05:30 PM
The arguement between buddyleebaby and her husband over a rear-facing carseat in the bitching post got me thinking. I always install DD's carseat and take it out when needed. DH wouldn't have the first clue as to how to put it in.

So who installs your carseats?

Edited to add option

writermama
10-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Don't know how to respond because we both do. Though, before baby#2 it was always me.

maestramommy
10-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Usually DH does it because I'm holding Dora, but I've done it myself when I've had to.

californiagirl
10-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Both, but usually DH (because I'm usually holding DD).

holliam
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
DH. He's a SAHD, we have only one car, and I rarely drive myself anywhere (I have a retina disease). I'd be hanging out in the clueless dept. with your DH!

Holli

aliceinwonderland
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
ETC: Anyone that regularly takes care of DS, and that's a small village, knows and does correctly install a carseat. Yes, compared to the other super-parents here, that's very negligent, but our inferiority as parents is well established by now :)

wencit
10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Timely thread. DH installed both the Snugride (our old car seat) and our current Marathon. The ladies over in the Car Seats forum strongly encouraged me to figure out how to do an installation on my own, but of course, I started working FT shortly thereafter and never got around to doing it. HOWEVER, I finally got my car washed last weekend, and the attendants moved the front passenger seat in order to vacuum the floor, thereby messing up the tether. So now I'm essentially forced to learn how to do it, so it was a blessing in disguise. I'm planning to call the police department later this week to get the installation checked out. By the end of this week, hopefully my answer will be changed to BOTH! :)

hbridge
10-24-2006, 05:57 PM
We take it to the installer at the police station. They are wonderful and once a seat is installed, we do not remove it. That's the only way I feel it is in correctly.

kijip
10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
The nicest CPS Tech I know well enough to have access to daily- me! :)

However my husband can do it and often a recruit him to sit on the seat during the process. :P

madelinesmom
10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
We both can and do, we try not to move them very much... We have the same set up in both cars. Regents for Madeline and RF Marathons for Emily.

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

DebbieJ
10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
>We take it to the installer at the police station. They are
>wonderful and once a seat is installed, we do not remove it.
>That's the only way I feel it is in correctly.

You really need to learn how to do it yourself! Next time, make the officer teach you how to do it.

What if you couldn't drive and were marooned somewhere and then someone else had to come pick you & your child up. Who would put it in then?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
DH can do it, but I'm MUCH faster. I installed the MA in my car and the Touriva in his.

I also taught my sister & BIL how to install their Snugride and their MA as well.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

katiesmommy
10-24-2006, 06:44 PM
How funny, if I get help at all I sit on the seat and push on the roof while he pulls the belt or latch straps tight.

thomma
10-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Dh does. I have no idea how to. I know...bad mommy.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
I do it, so i voted other since i am not one of avi's parents.

I have shown his mother how to do it and i have done it with her about 10-15 times but she still does not like to do it unless i can check it after to make sure it is ok. She has installed it before but it was only for a short drive from the rental car agency. Basically it is in the car once i put it in. Avi's father has only taken him in his car about 2 times since he outgrew his snugride and hs never put the MA/DC into the car. I have never had a "lesson" with him since he is very rarely driving with avi without avi's mother.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061013/8QJ2.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/xZBrm7/.png[/img][/url]

ellies mom
10-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I suppose my husband could do it in a pinch. He is pretty handy. But I do all the installations because I've done way more research on the subject and feel more comfortable doing it myself. Plus, I just have more practice now.

BillK
10-24-2006, 08:00 PM
My wife wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do it - I'm sure she could eventually figure it out - but carseat installs is my thing.

barbarhow
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
We both do but I do it better. :-)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

mamato1
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
I do it exclusively. DH would not have the foggiest notion of where to even begin.

Chris

Mama to Brendan, aka Boomer, my little peanut who is allergic to peanuts! 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

elliput
10-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I installed the carseats in both vehicles. We haven't needed to move them yet, but if DH had to by himself, I am sure he would read the instructions. He is just that type of guy.;-)

MommyAllison
10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
>>DH can do it, but I'm MUCH faster.<<

Ditto.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

C99
10-24-2006, 08:13 PM
For a long time, my husband knew better than I did because he had been to a couple of carseat checks and I hadn't. Now, we both know and install our own carseats. When I get a new seat (or car), I generally take it to a carseat tech check, so that they can verify that I've installed correctly. I can't imagine relying on someone else entirely to install our carseats.

nov04
10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Specially trained police officer installed convertible RF, St. John ambulance car seat clinic installed it FF. I could install it in a pinch but I will always feel better if they do it. We have it installed and leave it. ils try to get us to install it in their car to take dd for rides, I always veto.

kimbe
10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
DH does. I can't get the seats in as well as he does. I have yet to install one. (He does car and plane!)

crl
10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I voted both. I prefer DH because he was a cop and I think he knows more and does a better job. But I have travelled alone with DS and installed the seat on airplanes and in cars at our destination.

jacksmomtobe
10-24-2006, 10:08 PM
I typically install our car seats then take it to a local police department to have it checked. When Ds switched to front facing I did the seat in my car and was very proud when the policeman told me that I was the first person who had done it correctly in 6 months (and they do checks 2xs a week). I then took it as a challenge to install the other front facing seat into dh's car. Originally the policeman thought it needed to be adjusted but then when he fiddled with it he reallized it was indeed in the proper place. Boy was I proud of myself.

For the swap of seats for dd's arrival unfortunately I had preggo brain and kept forgetting to call about the check. When I finally called I found out that the Policemen & Policewoman who do the checks were all on vaca until after dd was due to arrive. I then planned to install the seats the Sat before my scheduled c-section which was to be on a Thursday. I had wanted to make sure I cleaned my car since I was moving DS's seat around and wanted to get underneath so I had done that and reinstalled DS's seat but hadn't installed the infant seat in either car. Guess what...DD decided to arrive that Saturday morning. So while in the hospital I had to instruct dh that this was now on his to do list. He is not technical/handy so he was in trouble. Lucky I still ended up with a c-section so he had a few days to find a solution. He called a national car seat number and found a guy in the town next to ours. He installed the seats in dh's car and would not take any money. DH commented on how I would love the guy since he was so thorough & informative because I am so stringent about safety. The Installer orig worked for a car dealer who offered installations of car seats and when he left there he decided to remain on the call list since he enjoyed performing a community service. He also realized that many parents unfortunately wait to the last minute while with many of the policestations you have to make an appt weeks in advance. He mentioned that the town I usually go to received a national grant to use towards their car seat program. He ended up installing both seats in my car because sil removed ds's seat out of my car to take him in her car when I went into the hospital so there were no carseats in my car after I returned from the hospital. After a c-section I couldn't physically put the needed pressure on the seats to install them. I tried to give him money to give to charity or have him give me a name of a charity that he supported and he would't even do that. He said to use the money to buy something for dd. I never move the seats out of my car and before DD's arrival had hardly ever moved the seats out of DH's car.

AngelaS
10-24-2006, 10:13 PM
I install the seats here. Dh isn't as anal as I am.

The last time I took my seats to a safety check up, the skinny cop couldn't get them in tight. Well, duh buddy, you don't weigh enough!

gordo
10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I voted both, but DH really does it better than I do. We install them ourselves and then bring them to the fire dept to make sure they were done correctly. We have an extra seat, so we rarely have to uninstall them.

MarisaSF
10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
DH and I both went to the police station for a lesson on installing the Snugride before DD was born. DH installed it then as I could barely bend over at 8 mos pregnant. I never did figure out the Snugride installation process.

Since I wanted to meet our fabulous resident CPS Tech (hi Julie!) when we got the Marathon, I have since become lead carseat installer. I guess we've never had an occasion where we both needed to be able to install the seats.

denna
10-25-2006, 12:26 AM
We've only had to install one carseat the Companion and DH did that. We have a BV on the way and I'm looking forward to 'sitting in' on this to see how its done.

mommyto4
10-25-2006, 01:16 AM
I always do ours. DH has no clue how to tighten the seat belt.

niccig
10-25-2006, 01:45 AM
I do. At first it was DH, but I posted something on the carseat forum to find that he put the seat in the center and used the latch from both outboard positions - a big no no with our car. I then made a point to learn everything I could about carseats. DH probably thinks too much as I tell him what I learn. He told his pregnant sister to talk to me before they buy a carseat because I'm such a fanatic, which I take as a compliment!!

Nicci

buddyleebaby
10-25-2006, 07:08 AM
For those who go to the police station, is there a certain precinct you go to or something? Where I live, they tell people to go to the local firehouse but I was visiting my friend at his firehouse and asked about it and he said they are not trained to do it at all and when someone comes for help they just send out someone who has kids of his own.
Same goes for police. My brother is a cop and has never been shown how to properly install a carseat. They don't even let the public in the parking lot of his precinct.

And to answer to original question, we both do

hbridge
10-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi, We've actually been in that situation (one car in the shop and another totalled in a car accident all in the same day) and we had to switch cars around. We both know how to install the seats, but don't trust them unless they are inspected by someone certified. We have two cars each with seats and another seat in grandma's car so there is no need to move them around. It's a lot of $$ on seats, but we know she is always safe.

hbridge
10-25-2006, 07:40 AM
You have to go to certain stations where they have trained techs. I think it's different in each state, but here in MA they have a handful of towns. It can be really difficult to get an appt sometimes, but they are wonderful. I guess the training for certification is fairly intensive.

momma_boo
10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
another mom here who does it herself. Dh wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to start if he had to install those seats himself.

bubbaray
10-25-2006, 09:01 AM
DH. He rocks at car seat installs! We were at an inspection last month and the tech (who is actually an instructor) said she's never seen as good an install, even from a tech. DH was beaming!

I know how to do it and could definitely do it if I had to, but I prefer to let him do it.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

Puddy73
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
We both know how, but I usually make DH do it while I watch and provide "helpful" advice. We seem to get a tighter fit when he pushes it back with his knee while locking the belt.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

MarisaSF
10-25-2006, 10:46 AM
We either called around or found info on the internet. Luckily, the police station nearest us had an expert.

scoop22
10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
dh all the time.. i know how to do it. i can't get it tight enough. dh was out of town and i had to have the neighbor do it... The one in my car is not coming out. but we have a spare in case we need to travel in another vehicle. i am sort of embarrassed to say that. i do need to learn. thanks for the thread that is on my list of things to do.. i will move it to #1.. ds is worth it..

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

bensmom
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
You can search for a station with CPS Techs on www.seatcheck.org.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

buddyleebaby
10-25-2006, 12:17 PM
thanks! apparently there are none at any fire or police stations.
there is one at the hospital i delivered at, though. you would think they (at the hospital) would at least mention that!

starrynight
10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Me. Dh doesn't do it right, he doesn't make sure it's super duper tight. I can get them in there without budging a bit so I do all carseats.

Melanie
10-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Dh does it, I check it. :P As far as rear-facing, we disagreed until I sent him some articles.

aguinn
10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
we always go to a CPS tech...

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b4.lilypie.com/3dP3m4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
DH does cars, I do airplanes. :)

Actually, we can all do it anywhere. My teenage son can even do it. I have more practice on airplanes so I usually do it and then let him pull it tighter. No sense in working hard when I don't have to.