PDA

View Full Version : Oh, expletive. How do you get red dye out of white clothes?

Saartje
10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
It's the usual story — something red snuck into a load of laundry it should have been in, and now I'm kicking myself. Even though I noticed it before the washer was even full and took the red thing out, drained the water, and ran it again with non-pink water, everything in there is pink now. :(

How can I get this out?

icunurse
10-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I haven't tried it, but it seems like this Rit item would be worth a try....
http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Powder-Color-Remover/dp/B0001DTCUU

Traci
~Mom to DS 02/2004~
Hoping, waiting...

kayte
10-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I would rerun the laundry with a dye catcher sheet and some Clorox 2. I have been amazed at how well the dye catcher thingies actually work!

HTH

Saartje
10-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks, ladies! I only spotted the "ruined laundry" thread after I posted this one, and read about the Rit color remover there. I've got a load running with that and a color catcher sheet now (after a quick run to the store) — fingers crossed!

KBecks
10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Let us know if it works for you. I recently used some stuff called Simple Solution, which is for cat pee stain/odor removal, to successfully remove bright red and blue frosting stains from our carpet.

Saartje
10-24-2006, 11:21 PM
So far it seems to be working on everything except one waffle weave shirt. I'll keep you posted on its outcome; I may have to experiment on that one.

jgiovagn
10-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Get that RIT dye remover...worked wonders!

How funny that we both did this within days of each other!

Jean

tylersmama
11-06-2006, 11:53 AM
So I bought DS some cute xmas clothes at the Carter's outlet last week, and had a brain freeze moment when I washed them (put all red items together, including the ones just with red trim). I now have a pink sweater with red trim that was supposed to be for DS's six month pics and also a pink Baby's 1st xmas onesie.
Can you use the RIT stuff on things that have colored trim and/or designs on them or is it strictly for all-white things? I've re-washed them about 4 times already with the Shout color-catcher sheets and the sheets are still picking up pink, but the clothes don't seem to be getting noticeably whiter. Help!

american_mama
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I've also used Carbona Color Run Remover twice successfully, sold in the laundry aisle. It does stink while in use (not once the laundry is finished). In one case, I had put a dark green cotton blanket in white yellow towels, which then turned yellowish green. The run remover did significantly lighten some of the yellow towels, however.

jgiovagn
11-06-2006, 08:16 PM
When it happened to me I used the Rit dye remover on the colored clothes. It DID fade the color a bit, which I didn't report earlier. But there was no way she could have worn those pink clothes.

And there's something else I didn't report..I did it AGAIN! I thought I had isolated the offending item, but apparently NOT. I was seething (at myself). Talk about explicatives! And this time I used the dye remover, I didn't let the washer fill all the way up first before putting the clothes in and there must have been a clump of the undisolved dye still in there and I TOTALLY ruined most of the clothes (the Gymboree and Hanna, of COURSE). It looks like the clothers were tye-dyed, and not in a good way.

I almost came back on and warned everyone about following the instructions exactly, but was too embarrassed that I had been a double moron. So anyway, now that the thread is alive again, make sure you allow the RIT to completely disolve first. And no, I promise I won't wash anything red with the other clothes ever again.

Jean