PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put your holiday cards?

DrSally
10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi, now that we have a stainless steel fridge (can't hold magnets), where do we put our Christmas cards (thinking in advance)? I saw a cool card holder at pottery barn, but it is awfully expensive.

http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=schi1%7Cp1%7Cwcardholder&pkey=sa1s00cardholder&gids=p6046

Has anyone seen anything similar elsewhere or made anything similar? How do you display your holiday cards?

scoop22
10-25-2006, 11:18 AM
we do something similar to this. http://www.christmaspeople.com/christmas-card-holders/19161.asp

i got mine through current about 3 years ago. I am sure there are other opions if you don't want to spend that much money. I don't have any for you. mil takes them around and on their basement door. kind of cute. but she isn't worried about the paint. my mom has a card holder. they aren't displayed they just get stacked.

good luck. i like the potterybarn one. i looked for something last year. they are expensive for being wire..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

babystuffbuff
10-25-2006, 11:39 AM
My mom has always taped the holiday cards that they get up around the big doorway between their breakfast nook/kitchen and the family room. I love it. When I go home for Christmas, I love looking at all the cards (especially now that so many folks are doing the picture cards) and reading what everyone wrote inside. When my brother was younger (I think it was the Christmas he was three) he looked at all the cards hanging up and said, "Look at all the friends we have, Mom." :)

Use masking tape, your paint will be fine, and the visual is worth it, IMHO. We do a modified version of that setup - we have to keep everything more up off the ground since we have cats. :)

MartiesMom2B
10-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I got some wire card hangers, shaped like snowflakes, at Target last season that was around $15.00. Much cheaper than pottery barn. I think I might have gotten two.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

shilo
10-25-2006, 12:07 PM
you can sew a really simple card holder yourself. the basic idea is a long piece of fabric or ribbon with lots and lots of smaller ribbon ties attached and a hook on top to hang it. you use a hole punch in the corner of each card to make a hole to put the tie thru and then just tie a little bow to hold the card on.

for the long base piece on mine, i quilted a piece of christmas fabric. finished, it measures about 4" wide and 36" long (don't forget to add 1/4" seam allowances when cutting the fabric). you can also just get a really nice piece of wide, heavy ribbon for this base piece if you don't want to sew one.

then you cut as many of the small 'tie' ribbons as you think you'll need (30?). i just used the cheap 1/8" wide grograin ribbon you can get for a dollar a spool at places like michaels or joanne's fabrics. mine are about 12" long each - you attach them at the middle so you have 2 ends hanging to tie the cards on with. you can tack them on individually or sew on all at once. i tacked each one on individually, so that i could space them in a diamond pattern so that when the cards were hung, there would be more space in between them, but my mom's just has them all down the center and it is really cute too.
to machine stich them lay the ties horrizontally across the long vertical base piece then just run a straight stich all the way down the middle of the ties (in the middle of the vertical length of the base piece).

attach a small ring or hook at the top to hang the whole thing from and you are done.

sounds complicated, but the whole thing took me about 2 hours.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

DrSally
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
That sounds so cute. Might be a good idea for Xmas gifts too if I get the ambition. Thanks for all the ideas!

madelinesmom
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
I put garland over the opening into my family room, I use clothes pins to hang them on the garland... It was really cheap... and looks good. Also Madeline loves being able to take the cards down and put them back up...

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

wilelm
10-25-2006, 01:21 PM
That's exactly what my mom did when I was growing up, and what I do now.

Sheila

rlu
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
We do similar. I use a fake pine garland with tiny binder clips (helps when letters are enclosed). I like the clothes pin idea, could paint them in holiday colors. We put the garland on the mantel usually (we don't have a fire in the fireplace since we aren't sure the landlord had the chimney checked after Loma Prieta - yes I know that was ages ago, that's the way she is...) but DS is too big this year, so I think we'll just hang them along the wall of bookshelves out of DS's reach.

kimbe
10-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't really display them but I put them in a pretty Christmas napkin holder and I sit that on the table or counter.

mama4jc
10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Our Christmas cards from last year are STILL up ...haha! But mainly b/c lots of people sent those picture cards and we love having our friends' pics up on display. We use the el-cheapo method: We put in 2 nails and hung up some twine like a garland and then clothes pinned the pictures/cards. HTH

deenass
10-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I tape them up on my cabinets (the picture ones) my son gets a kick out of seeing his friends and family all over the kitchen!

After the holidays are over, I mount the picture cards on colored cardstock and have them laminated and bound so that we have an annual record of friends and family growing up.

Moneypenny
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Picture cards go on the fridge. The rest go in a pile that I really mean to do something with, but never get to.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

newnana
10-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't even go that fancy, just a really pretty wide wired ribbon and either tape the cards to it or attach them with gold paper clips. Now I think I might try to make one like you said. Thanks!
Michelle

ColorBlue
10-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Am I the only unsentimental scrooge that looks at them and then "files" them in the garbage? The picture ones we put on the fridge until after xmas when we then chuck 'em.

Tracy

Mama to three girls, my big kindergartener Grace 11/01, and my babies Ella and Madeline 10/04.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I usually keep them but after the holidays I have been known to toss them. I keep the pictures but not the cards sometimes.

I have always meant to do something with those cards like make placemats but I am not crafty and not motivated enough.

Maybe I should scan them onto the computer and create a little file of them? That would be better than storing all the old cards for me. :)

Beth

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
I take 2 3M small white hangers that attach to the face of my mantle with removable adhesive then drape a clothesline between the hooks then put the cards over the line, sounds weird but looks pretty.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

DrSally
10-25-2006, 07:07 PM
This is great, I love all the ideas. I may try a combo of several of them, and share the ideas with my sister and mom. Thanks!

SeekerMage
10-25-2006, 10:45 PM
we just tape our cards to the door too...i really like the idea of the garland with the clips though, I might try that thanks!

Moneypenny
10-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I would like to throw them, but I end up keeping them for the entire year and then when next year rolls around, I send out cards to those who sent to us the previous year.
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]