PDA

View Full Version : Baby Showers! Need Quick Advice!

JoyNChrist
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
So DH's cousins (sisters) each had babies within a week of one another (a boy and a girl), and their joint shower is this Sunday. I just found out about it today, so I don't really have time to order anything online, unless shipping is really fast. I guess I'll have to make do with the stores we have around here. That leaves me with The Children's Place, Toys R Us, Target/Wal-Mart, Brousse's (a local baby store, but they really don't sell much other than furniture and decorative stuff), and department stores (JCPenney, Macy's, Sears). I really hate to get clothes, since that's what everyone buys and new parents seem to have SO many clothes that the baby grows out of so quickly. But I don't really know what else to get (since neither registered anywhere). One is a first-time mom, so she's a little easier (since she doesn't have as much stuff), but the other is on her fourth baby, so I have no idea what to get.

Any suggestions? I'm really into giving personal/unique gifts, but I'm kind of pressed for time here!

TIA!

janeybwild
10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
How about a feeding basket for each, with bibs, sippies, take n toss, first finger foods, book etc? You could have lots of fun with it and it would work well for both. Or a selection of reading books and a sleepsack each?

JBaxter
10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
What about a shopping cart cover. I used one for a LONG time with Nathan. I have a friend who raves about her bumbo seat. Humidifer for the nursery? I really like my microwave sterilizer ( after I got it) I did all the nipples/breast pump parts / pacifiers and some small toys during the winter. Just included a gift recipt TRU and Target are really bad to take stuff back to with out one.

oliviasmomma
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
ITA about the cart cover. A lot of moms don't have them yet. Also, I loved getting clothes in larger sizes, like 6-12 month, since so much of what I got was tiny. Or, you could scrap all of it, get a cute picture frame or something and a nice gift card. Those were really nice to have so I had $$ to "fill in the holes".

I gave a baby tub to my best friend and filled it with bath stuff--towels and washcloths, soap, temprature ducky, cover for the faucet, tub toys, etc. I also love to give a small gift bag just for mom, since the one I got was perfect for the hospital. Just include a small size of lotion and shower gel along with a bath poofy. When I finally was able to take a shower after the c-section, the smell was so pretty I almost cried.

katerinasmom
10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Another vote for the shopping cart cover. Although you'd get a much better selection of fabrics online, ToysRUs has one that's called a "Floppy Seat" and it comes in red and blue so you could get one color for each sister. We have the Floppy Seat and use it all the time. It is generally my gift of choice.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
1st timer...why didn't she register???? My ideas are...books- board books, baby care books like "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears or the AAP's "Caring for your Baby and Young Child," "Baby Play" by Gymboree for fun ideas of things to do with baby, and maybe some bookends or a nightlight. Good board books and other books- "Goodnight Moon," "My Monster Momma Loves me So," "Mama, Mama," "Papa, Papa," Eric Carle books.

Hooded towels? Stuff for solid feeding like a booster seat, bowls, spoons, bibs? (people don't always buy for an older baby.) Gift card? A folding changing pad like The First Years' Fold N Go (Target, Sears...they all sell it)?

For the 4th timer? I sometimes buy a new outfit just b/c I think all new kids deserve some clothes of their own and then I get a gift card to Target.

Don't forget mom. Bubble bath, a book ("Girls' Night In" is a collection of short chick lit stories and the proceeds go to a children's fund), non persihable snacks like pretzels and granola bars, notebook, pen, water bottle with a straw so she can drink one handed. If moms (especially the 1st timer) are bf'ing I would get some Medela soothing nipple care pads (refrigeratable- feels great!), the # of a good LC or support group, and anything else that you may have found useful if you bf.

Beth

saschalicks
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Personalized items are my new favorite: www.preciouspersonalities.com is owned by Julie (jamsmu) on the boards, and she has some great stuff.

I agree cart covers are great gifts. I've also bought a sling for someone who needed it. It was a pouch sling.

Diapers and wipes holders for the diaper bag are cute gifts too.

MelissaTC
10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Do you sew? My favorite baby shower item was a set of burp cloths made by my neighbor. She bought some Gerber cloth dipes at Targer, washed them and then sewed some ribbon on them and little appliques. They were super cute and I just loved them.

What about a basket of fun bath toys and bath washes for the babies? You can put some wash cloths, hooded towels, baby wash, baby shampoo, rubber duck that tells you if the water is too hot, etc... That is something they can definitely use!

sadie427
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Robeez! In the 6-12 month size, when they are more helpful. A little more practical than clothes, IMO, but still cute. Don't know where you live, but Nordstroms usually carries them as does our local Whole Foods, so maybe that's a chain-wide thing as well

denna
10-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Jeana-

Can I just say that I wish you were at my shower! We did get a lot of great stuff BUT everything you suggested I want/ need/ or have and LOVE (none of which I got at my shower). Great tips. How about newborn diapers (if they are using store bought or packs of Cloth Diapers). I know we ALWAYS needed more diapers.

Good luck & I hope you have fun at the shower!!!

Denna

denna
10-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I vote for the cart cover too. The larger clothing is also a great idea, we got SO much lil stuff that he honestly didnt where HALF of it but when it came time for the 6mo age range nothing(!). I think PJ's are a good idea, too (clothing wise) we only got 1 pack of PJs at our shower and that is what I feel like I am constantly buying.