PDA

View Full Version : I'm due in March ....

deenass
10-26-2006, 06:33 AM
And unless you are my husband, midwife or mother YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW "WHEN" IN MARCH! B/c you know what, like you, I'd like to know but it's not up to me, it's up to the baby and He Ain't Telling!

What is with people? Why does everyone need to know my due date? It doesn't matter, it's not an exact science. And does the woman my mother works out with need to clear her schedule based on my due date?

I was driven NUTS last time when my son was born 3 days past my "due date" (phone calls for two weeks "did you have the baby yet?") so this time I decided to just tell people March - you'd think I was hiding winning lottery numbers the way I'm quizzed!

Wife_and_mommy
10-26-2006, 06:55 AM
LOL! I'm with you! My due date was January 23 so I told people it was the second week of Feb. DS was born Jan. 31 so it was very handy for people to think I had lots of time to go yet.

My FIL said I wouldn't make it to Feb because I was so huge but he only won by 1.5 hours so ppppthhhhh to him. :P

Hugs to you. Maybe you could say the last week unless it is the last week then say the date was changed to April after a sono. People are clueless and are usually just making conversation.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

neeter
10-26-2006, 08:05 AM
I hear you! I'm due in March, too, and when I tell people, they are like, when in March? Does a number really make a difference to you? Do you have a running calendar in your head?

The only person who really *needs* to know at this point is my boss, for arranging maternity leave! (And I told him early March, so I'm done working in February...LOL).

Hang in there. We can probably commiserate some more (are you getting the "you're HUUUUUGE" comments already? One lady was saying it to me every day until I told her to please stop!!)

dules
10-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I never told my due date. If people pushed I told them it was bad luck. LOL.

I would say "December" and if pressed, say probably somewhere in the middle but who really knows.

Usually this shut people down. Good luck and hang in there!

Mary

deenass
10-26-2006, 10:00 AM
No, not huge yet, most people don't even realize that I'm pg (gotta love those bulky winter clothes!!!!!) I'm at least to the point where my maternity pants are no longer falling down on me which is much more pleasant than hiking up my pants every 5 minutes.

californiagirl
10-26-2006, 01:42 PM
My mother's advice for situations like this: Say, firmly, "It's against my religion." If they ask what your religion is, tell them. Nobody ever enquired further, even though my mother claimed it was against her religion to drink Kool-aid based punch, and she was Episcopalian.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2006, 01:54 PM
For personal mental health I would tell people that my EDD is 2 weeks later.

That way no one gets impatient if you hit your EDD and no baby. You probably won't get as many, "where's baby?" calls if they think you are only 38 weeks.

Plus, if you plan for 42 weeks then you won't get as stressed/ bummed/ anxious to intervene if you hit that "magic" due date. :) a wise mom had me mentally roll my edd back when I was about 6 months along. Worked great.

Btw, back in 2002 the ACOG came out with a recommendation for a due window or due month rather than due date. I really wish it would catch on!

Hang in there. :)

Beth

brittone2
10-26-2006, 02:15 PM
ITA...I wish they'd do a "due window."

I know first time moms routinely go to 41 weeks as "average" vs. 40, and I just read somewhere recently that even with second babies, average is really like 40w4d or something along those lines. It is still over 40 weeks.

I have 6ish weeks til my EDD and keep telling myself 4-8 weeks left. Big range, but it helps me to think of it that way so I don't get so antsy ;) I always carry huge in pregnancy (have a really short torso so my belly sticks out enormously). Everywhere I go people assume I'm about to drop the baby in public, and then when I give them my EDD, they are like..."oooooooh....wow." and give me the "i'm so sorry" look for some reason LOL. DH and I were out to dinner the other night and some old lady cornered me in the bathroom and was telling me not to carry my 2.5 year old because it isn't good for me, and then asked my due date. When I told her she said..."are you sure it isn't twins then?" Uggggh. People make me nuts :p

writermama
10-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Anywhere in the second half of pregnancy, I used to just respond that the "guess date" had 2 weeks on either side of it, so my "zone" was the whole month. Other than that, it was up to the baby and the baby wasn't telling.

I don't know if it helped keep them from annoying another pregnant woman with "what's your due date?" questions. Every now and then, I was tempted to say to someone espescially date obsessed, "We don't really know the due date. Would you like to know the conception date instead?"

I didn't ever say it, though.

egfmba
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
If it's any consolation, I'm due in March and I get the same questions.

I'm going to start answering "March 32nd" if they push. I usually just say March. The only ones who push are the ones born in March who want me to deliver on their birthdate. Sure. Okay. I'll do just that.

With DS, I went into labor before my due date, but dear old DH called everyone (or told everyone who called) and told them I was in labor. I'm going to threaten not to tell him this time if he tries that stunt again. Because of course then the hourly calls commenced.

Tell people you're not sure when you're due. Blame it on pregnancy brain. Then change the subject. They'll probably blame it on the pregnancy, too. :)

e

lizajane
10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
you are a freakin' genius. if i ever have another baby, i am going to tell people i am due a month after i am actually due. i always measure small (long torso) so they will never know. and then folks will stop saying, "you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINY" in their screechy icky voices.

Melanie
10-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Smart Thinking. You could always say "Late March," and as long as it's not true, they won't bother you until hopefully you are holding the baby!

CharmedOne
10-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I never understood why people must know the exact date. Our hypnobirthing instructor always told us to add a month to our "guess date" in case people ask. Otherwise, you constantly get calls during those two weeks leading up to your due date. It's hard to stay relaxed when everyone is asking if the baby has arrived yet!

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif 16 months

ShanaMama
10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
"Would you like to know the conception date instead?"

Love it!