PDA

View Full Version : She is NOT playing with blocks again

tarynsmum
10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
*sigh*

You may recall a couple weeks ago, my post about DD's first bruise, after falling on her blocks (they're actually the shapes from a shape-sorter, and that time she fell on the lid). Well, tonight DH was playing with DD in the family room while I was cleaning up dinner... I hear "THUMP... WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" and then DH saying "Oh, I wasn't fast enough, I'm sorry, baby!"

She fell. Again. On the block. Only this time is was the circle block (which is actually a cylinder ;)), and was about a centimeter from her eye :(. So she has this half-circle raised red mark next to her eye :(. Hopefully it won't bruise, and thank goodness it was a little bit off, or we'd be in the ER right now :(

I know it's not a big deal, that kids fall all the time and she'll have lots of bumps and bruises as she starts walking and whatnot, but geez! C'mon now!

Well, thanks for listening :)

jayali
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Heather,

Am sorry that your baby has an bruise. I remember when Matthew was just about six months old he fell off of the changing table (while I was standing right next to him and holding him) and got a cut right by his eye (great first Christmas pictures!). Then when that cut healed he fell off the bed (again while I was right there and holding him) and got a cut in almost the exact same spot. I was so freaked out that I was afraid to be alone with him the next day. Now he bumps his head and falls and I say "you're OK, shake it off" sometimes without even looking for a bruise. Said to say but we do harden up as the years and bruises pass!!

heidiann
10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Heather,
Put those darn blocks away LOL....
I hope she doesn't get a bruise.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

StantonHyde
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
DD (DC #2) is a monkey and is constantly climbing up on things and doesn't look where she is going and runs smack into doors, table edges, you name it. Thank God she is #2. I just pick her up and give her a hug or do the "you're fine" thing. You will live through this stage--and so will she. You could pin a sign on her that says "My parents love me, they don't beat me." :-)

tarynsmum
10-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Well, she scared the crap out of me, because she slept through the night (down at 7:15, up at 9:30 to nurse, then not again until 7:30 this morning). She usually gets up about twice a night (or more), so I was all freaked out. She woke up fine, on her own and everything, just playing, so I'm guessing she's OK.

There's no bruise, although the spot right next to her eye is a little red still, and the tiniest bit swollen (not enough for anyone else to tell, since her cheeks are so chubby, but I can).

So, I was expecting a shiner or something, so whew!

scoop22
10-27-2006, 07:56 AM
i was actually thinking of you and your old post.. ds has a bruise (i have no clue how he got it.. grrrrrrrrrrr) on his cheek. it has been there for over a week. what was it that they recommended for bruises? did you buy it? did it work?

i am sorry your dd has another mark from those silly blocks. she must really like them though. at least she gave you a good night sleep. i am sure she is good to go for the day. have a good one.

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

mommy111
10-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Sorry that happened to DD, I hope the bruise gets better soon! I had a similar concern with DD and her shape sorter, she fell on it once and the edge was, like, a half inch from her eye. That is my biggest concern with getting wooden vs plastic toys, you tend to get hurt more on the wooden toys. I'd love to hear what the other moms do with this!

californiagirl
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
I went to daycare to pick DD up to take her to her 1-year well-baby appointment. I find frazzled carer holding ice to a blue bump on her head ("She face-planted into the furniture!") and very apologetic. I take bruised baby off to doctor thinking "Oh, great, now I look like careless abusive mother." Doctor looks at big blue knot next to DD's eye and says "Looks like you have a healthy, active toddler there. Been to the emergency room yet? No? You're doing GREAT, mama. Expect a lot more bruises. Try to avoid the emergency room if you can, but don't fret too much if it happens. An active toddler will fall down a lot, that's how they learn."

tarynsmum
10-27-2006, 12:29 PM
arnica, I think it was. I ended up not using it on DD, because it cleared up before I could get back to Whole Foods, but I got some and used it on myself (I bruise really easily), and it's worked nicely, I think.

kozachka
10-28-2006, 07:47 AM
>Sorry that happened to DD, I hope the bruise gets better
>soon! I had a similar concern with DD and her shape sorter,
>she fell on it once and the edge was, like, a half inch from
>her eye. That is my biggest concern with getting wooden vs
>plastic toys, you tend to get hurt more on the wooden toys.
>I'd love to hear what the other moms do with this!

You can get a cloth shape sorter if you are concerned you DC will hurt him/herself with a plastic or wooden one.

mommy111
10-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I didn't even think of that, that's a great idea! Thanks!

tarynsmum
10-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Ours aren't even wood, they're plastic (DH bought them... *sigh*). The problem is that DD doesn't really get the "concept" of sorting the shapes, she just plays with the "shapes" (what we call blocks), dropping them in the bucket, carrying them around, using them as noisemakers, knocking down towers, etc. So getting a soft shape-sorter wouldn't really help, at least for now, since it's not really the "sorting" part that she does. In any event, it's like her favorite toy, and I would feel bad if she couldn't play with them anymore (and they really helped her with her pincer grasp)

BTW, if they were wooden, she probably wouldn't have had a bruise. Here's a link to what we have (they actually are called blocks. huh.) You can see how the sides, if fallen on, will leave a shaped bruise (in our case, half a circle...

http://www.playthingspast.com/fp-b0168.html

elizabethkott
10-28-2006, 12:17 PM
>arnica, I think it was. I ended up not using it on DD,
>because it cleared up before I could get back to Whole Foods,
>but I got some and used it on myself (I bruise really easily),
>and it's worked nicely, I think.
Arnica is the most wonderful thing in the whole wide world!
Not only does it work great on bruises (I also get the frequent mystery bruise) but it is fantastic for muscle pulls and strains. DH swears by it for tennis injuries and hamstring pulls.
Do you use the cream version or the gel? I've found that the cream works better for some reason...