PDA

View Full Version : Can We Talk Hair Products?

Wife_and_mommy
10-27-2006, 09:05 AM
I have wavy hair that I use curling mousse in so it's curly. I've used Loreal curling mousse in it for many years. When my hair isn't "fixed", it's wrapped up in a bun because it's a big ball of frizz. Nothing else I do to it looks good.

I love watching What Not To Wear and Nick uses a silver containered curl activator that I've been looking to try but can't find it. If anyone knows what it is, I'd love to hear it.

So what do you use in your hair, if anything?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

daisymommy
10-27-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm hating my curly, huge, frizzy hair right now, and ready to chop it all off. Can't wait to hear the answer to this question!

mommy111
10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Same here, frizz central and falling out.

ellies mom
10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I use Aveda's Be Curly on my DD's curly hair. It seems to do a good job with the frizz.

Have you checked out the book "Curly Girls". It is my bible for dealining with DD's curls.

designermv
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I can't name that specific product for you, but I use Aveda Be Curly and I love it. It smells great and doesn't feel all product-y (that's a word, right?;-) ) or sticky.

Rachel,
Mom to Alison
10/16/04

floridamommy
10-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I swear by Biosilk - Silk Therapy for my long curly hair. It's a leave-in product and definitely helps my frizzies when I wear it down. Although, most of the time my hair is pulled back in a ponytail.

Twins2000
10-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I have wavy/curly hair that I try to blow out straight (when I have enough time). When in a little more of a hurry, I'll blow it dry then use my flat iron. As for products, I use Tigi Control Freak and Biosilk Silk Therapy (great to use with a flat iron). Now that it is colder and more dry out, my hair is much more manageable and easier to dry straight.

I also love to watch What Not to Wear. If I had the money and a day to myself I'd love to go to Nick's salon and see what he would do with my hair. I'd also love, love love to go shopping in NYC, especially if I had the $5000 Visa Card with my name on it!!!!

Leslie

jenjenfirenjen
10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I have curly hair and I swear I've tried just about everything out there for curly hair. I've tried Ouidad and Aveda Be Curly but I'm not a fan of either of those two.

I used Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious Creme for a while. It even came with a DVD that demonstrated this hair twirling method. I liked how my hair looked with it but the twirling technique was really time consuming. Without doing the twirl (just a scrunch) I don't think this product has enough hold. It's more like pommade IMO.

Right now I'm using Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock and I'm really happy with it. For me, the key is not to comb my hair out at all in order to keep the curls together. I flip my head over after I shower and scrunch with the towel then apply the product and dry with a diffuser (actually, most of the time I only have time to air dry which is OK but using a dryer gives a much better result.)

My hair is long and yucky right now. Really too long to get a good curl. But I'm about to get it cut. Here's a pic of how it looked when I first started using the Curls Rock and had shorter hair. I'm about to get it cut like this again.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36190.jpg

jgiovagn
10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
2 questions:

Jen - Which Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock are you using - the Amplifier or the Booster?

Veronica - what is this book? I couldn't find "Curly Girls" on Amazon. Is it called "Curly Girl"? http://tinyurl.com/tbhta
My DD's hair is very curly as well.

Can't wait to try the suggestions - my hair is curly but not in a good way. I straighten it but would love not to!

Jean

jenjenfirenjen
10-27-2006, 07:04 PM
It's the amplifier.

Radosti
10-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Ahhh... I see you haven't discovered the magic of Ouidad
http://www.ouidad.com/

I swear by this stuff. You don't know you have luxuriously wondeful curls with no frizz until you've used this stuff consistently for a week. If it weren't so expensive, I'd use it all the time.

As it is ridiculous in price, on unimportant days I use Sebastian Potion 9, followed by Sebastian Laminating Drops and let it air dry. If you don't use the Potion 9 underneath the Laminating Drops, the drops dry out my hair. It works pretty well for day to day, but when I need to feel beautiful, I switch to my Ouidad stash for a week or two. In that, I have the Shampoo and Conditioner and the Shine Glaze Serum. My hair turns into this gorgeous mass of curls. I normally have ringlets when it's not frizzy.

I've tried B&B Curl Conscious and HATED it. It would tangle my hair like crazy. I ended up selling the leftovers of it on Ebay.

ellies mom
10-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Yes, it is called Curly Girl. I'm sorry. I always want to add an "s". Anyhow, it is many for adults but there is a section for kids and the non-kid stuff relates.

oliviasmomma
10-27-2006, 08:31 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHH OUIDAD! I loved this stuff too--my hair never looked so good. Unfortunately, this luxury went bye bye as soon as DD arrived, I gave up my job, and discovered Hanna. Sigh... :(

cmo
10-27-2006, 08:49 PM
What Ouidad products would you recommend for a newbie?

Radosti
10-27-2006, 09:15 PM
The Quench Shampoo and Conditioner & the Shine Glaze Serum. If your hair is super dry, you may also need the Deep Treatment.

This is my hair with just the Sebastian Potion 9 & Laminating Drops. Pardon the windy conditions:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1090743458015131985vrqZzc

sdbc
10-27-2006, 09:32 PM
OMG! I have the exact same hair as you! Color and everything!!
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

Radosti
10-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Hehe... post a picture :)

erosenst
10-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I have very curly hair. I've used L'Oreal's Springing Curls (mousse) for years and really like it. My new favorite shampoo is called Curlfriends, and it's amazing what a difference it's made - my hair is noticably softer and less frizzy. The shampoo is great, although the conditioner was too heavy for my hair (which is surprisingly fine for how curly it is). I was using L'Oreal's conditioner for curly hair, but haven't been able to find it lately. Am using another drugstore brand for curly hair, and am relatively happy with it.

jgiovagn
10-28-2006, 09:17 AM
All right - I did it. I ordered the Ouidad. It's really not that much more expensive than typical salon products.

I got the Curl Quencher Shampoo and Conditioner, the Botanical Boost, and the Clear Control (ouch - that one was $26). They had a nifty - did I just say "nifty"? - Curl Profiler that askes you about your hair and how you want it to look, and they recommended that one instead of the Shine Glaze serum. Also, there is a free 2 oz sample of the deep treatment. Got that too.

I'm thinking if I can go with curly hair instead of straightening it, that will save me time, and time is money, right? So really, it's all justified...

Jean

anamika
10-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Has anyone tried the kids products? DD has beautiful curly hair but it gets frizzy very fast.
I would love to try the kids products but I was looking for reviews before spending the dollars :)
Thanks,