PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone drive a Cadillac CTS or a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

HGraceMom
10-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Our leases are both up next month & these are the 2 vehicles we're thinking about for now.

I currently drive a Volvo XC90 and though it's great, it's just too much car for me. (DD goes to school across the street - I've driven 250 miles since Labor Day!) DH still thinks we need a big family travel car, so I told HIM to get it this time. He feels the Jeep is more masculine than the volvo, so there you go.

We can get employee discounts on Ford, GM or Chrysler, so feel it's prudent to go American again this time around...

Jo..
10-29-2006, 07:22 AM
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When we move in December we're selling it. It is nice for a trip to Home Depot, but TERRIBLE on gas. We only used it as our secondary vehicle or for when we needed to transport something large.

If you barely drive, the mileage is a moot point, but when you DO make long trips you will be cursing about the price of gas the whole way ;).

jgiovagn
10-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Don't know anything about the Cadillac, but we have a Grand Cherokee and Jo is right - it's horrible on gas. The worst. And reliability ratings are also horrible, which we knew before we bought it, but H got it anyway. We always had Nissans (Altima, Maxima, Pathfinder) and never had a problem. With the Grand Cherokee, it's been one thing after the next. Not to mention we just got yet another recall notice in the mail - something about the fan could shatter. Nice.

I just looked at Consumer Reports online, and their reliablity is still the very lowest rating. As is the Fuel economy rating. And the safety rating is nothing to write home about either. The Cadillac has much better ratings.

Too bad you don't have a VW discount - I just got a Passat GLX and LOVE it, not to mention it's one of the safest cars around...

Jean

fortato
10-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Jo-Now I just thing you're stalking me... first you have a baby boy, after I have one, then you get the whoopie cushion costume after I get one, and now this... :+

We have a Grand Cherokee, I love it for short trips and hauling crap, but it is terrible on gas. But, I don't drive it much, so I only have to fill it once every other week.

Last December I was run off the highway (while I was pregnant..) by some woman who was talking on her cell phone, smoking a cigarette, and probably drinking her coffee. She swerved all over the highway, and ended up turning around and coming right at me, I had to swerve to get away from her, and I ended up in the snow 30 feet from the highway. The Jeep did a 360 and was covered in snow.
I was fine, and I got out of the snow no problem and went right to work (on my last day too!) I was a little shaken up, but never once did I worry about the car rolling over or anything.

I love my jeep. I'm in no hurry to trade it in for a minivan. I'm too young for that.

Tondi G
10-29-2006, 04:24 PM
A friend of mine has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and has been overall happy with it but it isn't great on gas milage! She is single and doesn't care though! If you can get a discount on Chrysler does that include Dodge then???

If so we have a Dodge Durango (our second one in fact) and we LOVE it! It has the hemi with the 4 cylinder shutdown so that helps a bit with Gas.... I don't drive much though so it isn't a huge factor for me. Anyways we LOVE the Durango but it is BIG ... the built in DVD player has been a life saver with my boys who aren't thrilled with long car rides! Dodge now has the new Nitro too (don't know if your hubby is interrested in it.... I don't care for the way it looks myself!)

Oh and the Chrysler Pacifica is nice!

What are you thinking of getting???

HGraceMom
10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks - If he gets a Dogde, it would be the Charger :( He drove a GC in college and would be happy back in one - doesn't want a "girly" crossover... I haven't seen the Nitro, but will check it out.

The CTS will be my car - the payments are about $125 less / month than the xc90 with $0 down... plus has a bit better mileage and takes regular gas, not midgrade - I just don't need all the space of a bigger car!

Whatever DH gets will have a rear DVD as his will be the long-haul vehicle - we usually take multiple trips up North & to Chicago every year - other than those trips, we live 3 blocks from DH's office :7 so I'm not too worried about gas mileage.

Fairy
10-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Terrible on gas, you've heard that a zillion times. Literally, tho, it's awful for that, we get about 260 mpg tops. I usually fill up at 240 or so. It's had a few problems here and there, but honestly, I've gotta tell ya ... we like it. The Limited is more comfy than the Laredo for a few reasons, but the Laredo gets better mileage cuz it's a v6, whereas the Limited is a v8, and man you KNOW it. It's loud, it's powerful, it's fast, and if dorkmo in the soon-to-be-merging lane tries to get into a pissing match with me, I win every time.

We knew before we bought it what the ratings were like, but of all the SUVs we test drove, we both really liked this one best. No regrets. The truth is that no SUV gets great mileage, some are better than others, most are on par with the Jeep.

Good luck!

newnana
10-30-2006, 01:10 PM
As with all your other posts on every other subject, I agree 100% I think we're long lost cousins or something. We actually have the Laredo instead of the Limited because we found it for a deal and DH doesn't need a V8. He would disagree about needing a V8 when dealing with dormo's, though.

Anyway, ours is a '99 and we've had no problems with it. We love it.

Not that this helps, but my 3 top choices on mid-size SUV's are the Nissan Pathfinder, Infinity QX4, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. All are tried and true. I like the Nissan best, but decided that our money would be better spent on the house than the car at the time we were buying. We've been happy with ours. Good luck!
Michelle

maestramommy
10-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Isn't the Caddy CTS a sedan? Quite difference from the Jeep, an SUV. Unless I'm thinking of something totally different. We test drove a CTS-V with the sport package, and it was a FUN FUN drive! Quite comfy too.