PDA

View Full Version : UPDATING: WE HAD A BM!!!!! What to do next? Question on constipation

chiqanita
10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Thank you mamas! I am in your debt. I can't believe how happy I am about a bm. Around dinner time I saw him standing by the sofa, half bent over, and pushing with all of his might. It broke my heart. He was able to get a small "rock" out then took a break. He was perspiring something fierce. He started up again after a few minutes and a larger "rock" came out. He seemed so relieved. About an hour later he did it again and then one last time before bedtime. All three times the bm was hard and formed. I am waiting for the soft stuff ...maybe tomorrow. I am just so relieved that some of what was backed up finally made it's way out. He's been on Ah-chew for allergies & cough which I learned can cause constipation.

Oh, I called the pedi at 1:30pm and didn't hear back from them until almost 6pm. The pedi suggested pear juice for 2 more days then call if nothing happens. I told him that my BBB friends said the same thing.

Thanks again! I'm thinking a warm fuzzy thought for each of you.

************************************************** ************************************

I'm not certain if this is the appropriate forum for this but I thought I'd start here at least.

My 2yo is constipated, going on day 2 of no bm. Do I call the pedi or try something else? So far today we've had oatmeal with pureed prunes, peaches, yogurt, water, and for lunch we'll have turkey breast, broccoli (he won't eat) and pears. He has a sippy of water all day long and drinks when he needs to drink.

Last night I put him in the tub (heard it might help) but due to his eczema he could only stay in for about 10 minutes. I can call the pedi's nurse but wanted to check here first.

I have twins and his brother is quite the opposite due to cutting teeth...very loose.

What do you do when your DC is constipated?

TIA

katerinasmom
10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
We've had the same problem with DD now and then especially since she's been toilet training. I called our pediatrician and she told me to give her 1 teaspoon of the dissolving tasteless fiber in her cereal, eggs, whatever she is eating for breakfast every day. If she doesn't go after 2 day full days, then she recommended infant glycerin suppositories. We had to go the suppository route only once so far thankfully but it worked almost immediately.

Definitely call your pediatrician. She can give you specific dosing information and tell you exactly how long you can wait before needing more drastic interventions and she can probably do it all over the phone.

miki
10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
If DD gets to day 3 without pooping, I will give her about a tsp. of milk of magnesia. This type of laxative is a stool softener, drawing fluid into the bowels. It helps produce the urge to go but also make it easier to push out. And even though I usually only give a little bit of very dilute juice, to aid the constipation I will give some full strength white grape juice. The sugars in it are also supposed to attract fluid into the stool and soften it.

table4three
10-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Will he eat mandarin oranges? DS loves mandarin orange segments (chopped up a bit) and they always make him have soft bm's. Turns out they aren't completely digested, so be prepared for poops with bits of oranges in them.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

sdbc
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Hve him drink lots and lots of pear juice. Not watered down. That did it for DD.