PDA

View Full Version : What's with the world today?

megs4413
11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
It used to be that when a well intentioned family wanted to provide candy for trick or treaters but couldn't be home to answer their door and left the candy on the porch...it was gone within like the first half hour of trick or treating cause some "bad seed" would dump the whole thing in his bag.....this was exactly what i was hoping for! we were home for awhile, but had to leave--while we were there we had 3 kids total so I didn't think a ton more would come, but I figured if I left the porch light on and put the candy out some teenager would come by and take it all--NO! there was some more gone when we got back so at least one other child came and took a handful, but THEY LEFT THE REST! i was utterly shocked! what is the world coming to??? could it be these children were supervised or just raised right??? I can hardly believe it! and now i'm left with all this candy...how am i gonna explain a 10lb gain in two weeks to my OB????

(noticed the sarcasm in the entire post...i'm not actually upset that the kids restrained themselves...i think it's refreshing, but it did leave me with ALL THAT CANDY!)

ellies mom
11-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Big hugs to you!! I'm sorry that the polite well raised children ruined your plans. I'm in the same situation. DH kept complaining that we didn't have enough candy. He told me that we only had three bags and bugged me to go buy more. So thinking we only had three bags. I bought three more bags. Then I go and get the candy ready and find out we have 5 bags of candy. Bringing our total to 8 now. A friend and I take the kids to the mall for a bit of warm T&Ting leaving DH to hand out candy. I came home to find out that he forgot to turn on the porch light and the bowl is still almost full with bags of candy still on the counter. Arghh, I could have screamed. I forgot to send it to work with him this morning and now I'm going to have way more candy than I want sitting in the house.

I'm sorry that the polite well raised children ruined your plans.

mattysmom
11-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I think your post was so funny - we were having the same exact thoughts last night. I suggested leaving the candy on our front stoop while we went out but DH said "no way" implying that someone would just take all of it... so my MIL manned the door. But as we were out, a good 1/4 of the houses had just left their candy bowls outside - and they were full (meaning no "big kid" had taken it all!) I couldn't believe it either!!!

newmomto3kids
11-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Johnny gave one teenager at our house 4 bags of Skittles and the kid actually asked me if he should give some back. I couldn't believe it...I almost gave him the whole bowl just for being so darn cute!!

neeter
11-01-2006, 11:14 AM
i agree, there is something in the air! we did the same thing with the candy on the porch, but i was worried it would be gone in a matter of seconds. so periodically as we were touring the block my husband would go back to refill the bowl...only to come back and say there's still lots in there!

after 7:30 there was practically no one and we didn't even finish handing out one of those big $10 bags of candy from costco. and i had another one waiting! i guess all of it will go to the office (poor colleagues...)

candybomiller
11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
uh, send it to my house. I won't have to explain it to anyone. ;)

janeybwild
11-01-2006, 01:10 PM
That is so good to hear. We put the candy bowl on our porch for 15 minutes or so while we had dinner. When we went out to retrieve it, it was gone....bowl and candy :( So, I was doubly glad to hear about positive candy behavior on Halloween.

crayonblue
11-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I met a kid I was super proud of last night. We went to a Harvest Festival and I saw a kid with a HUGE bag of candy. I was standing next to him eyeing his huge stash and he turned around. He asked, "Would you like some of my candy?" He was about 8 and must have noticed Lauren's small bag (maybe 5 pieces!). I thanked him and said no and wished I knew his mom so I could thank her too! :)