PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with all that Halloween candy?

Sweetpea972
11-01-2006, 12:50 PM
My DD is 2 now and very much a chocolate and candy addict. I let her have some candy last night after trick or treating but now I'm not sure what to do with the rest? I've hidden her basket for now. What are the traditions at your house for managing all the candy eating? I'm new at this and am curious as to what others do. Thanks!!!

elliput
11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Take it to work for the dept candy jar.

megs4413
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
put it in a tupperware conatiner on a high shelf in the kitchen and give her a "treat" every once in awhile....she won't even know where it's coming from and that there's a ton more....and then you can eat it, too!!

maestramommy
11-01-2006, 12:55 PM
We don't get a lot of trick or treaters, so usually Dh ends up taking most of the extra to the office. They have a kitchen stocked with all sorts of snack food, so it's just one of the mix.

Alys the Cat
11-01-2006, 12:59 PM
DS doesn't really eat candy, so last night he was more excited about the experience of getting dressed up and seeing our neighbors. When we got home, I explained that if he hung his treat bag on the doorknob, the Halloween Fairy would replace the candy with a toy. This morning, he went to the bag and was thrilled with his new robots.

I'm just going to bring his stash -- and our leftovers -- to my office, so none of us will be tempted at home. Granted, this might not work if he already had a taste for chocolate. If people gave out cupcakes, I'd never be able to negotiate a trade! ;)

Fairy
11-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Have you seen my ass?

kaylinsmommy2
11-01-2006, 01:38 PM
We played Let's Make A Deal. I traded her most of her candy for a large bag of yogurt pretzels. She was very pleased. I was ready to go all the way up to trading a trip to Chuck E Cheese, but she fell for the lower deal. ;) We'll probably still go to Chuck E Cheese, though.

ETA: and I guess I'm going to eat the rest myself. :o Okay, fine. Maybe I'll take some to share with my school!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2006, 01:40 PM
All our leftovers go to dh's office. Ds'? Well, in previous years that all went to dad's office too except for a few pieces. But he is 4 now and I don't think he would like that arrangement. :) Can't sneak it out like I used to. So, I will dole it out slowly over time. he didn't really get that much.

Beth

Sillygirl
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
H*ll, it's only once a year, and it's his birthday, too. Jonathan had lollipops for dinner last night and loved them. I ate the candy with peanuts in it, and we'll all work our way through the rest.

JBaxter
11-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Call me twisted but I handed Nathan is bucket today and having him eat it all. He is on a MAJOR sugar high as we speak/type. Tonight what is left gets trashed and its all gone. The dog has had 3 lolly pops today also. The eat it all in one day worked with my oldest 2 ds in the past so the traditon continues.

Now DS2 who also went trick or treating brough home a 1/2 pillow case full of candy. It is stored in his room.

newnana
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Ditto

Moneypenny
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Ummm, I eat it. Is that bad? :7
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

dules
11-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I am definitely trying this next year. DD is a total chocolate addict now after one day!

Mary

NatalieM
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I took some of the leftover candy for my candy dish in my office. People often pop in and chit chat while grabbing some candy. My husband took the bulk of it for his clients. I would have given it to anyone who wants it! I just didn't want it in the house b/c I'm a sucker for chocholate. :-)

sarahsthreads
11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
OMG, this made me laugh so much! I could just see DD literally *bouncing* off the walls if I did that - she hadn't had any candy at all before or during trick-or-treating last night and she was a crazy lunatic by the time we got home just from the fumes apparently. Half of one tiny little pack of mini M&Ms later and she was a complete maniac for the next two hours until we pinned her down, stuffed her in pajamas, and tossed her in the crib.

I think I would suffer a nervous breakdown if my dogs were on a sugar high too...

This is why I'm suffering through my mommy obligation by making sure there's as little candy as possible left when she gets up from her nap. ;)

Sarah :)

MarisaSF
11-01-2006, 03:39 PM
>When we got home, I explained that if he hung
>his treat bag on the doorknob, the Halloween Fairy would
>replace the candy with a toy. This morning, he went to the bag
>and was thrilled with his new robots.

That is SUCH a good idea! I will try that next year.

DD is 2. What worked this year was letting her eat whatever she wanted last night. I was too tired to fight it, honestly. She opened like 4 things, licked some, finished some. Today, she woke up and asked, "Where's the candy?" I said, "Well, Halloween was yesterday. There's no more candy today."

But what do you do with the candy? ;) Just throw it away? I'm telling DH to bring it to work, but he's doing a pretty good job so far eating it himself.

holliam
11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
We had a no-candy Halloween party at our house for the toddlers. It was fabulous! DD is 26 mo and still hasn't tasted candy. I'm in no rush!

Holli

rlu
11-01-2006, 03:52 PM
DS got very little since we only went to 8 houses and I turned down the candy at several. DS ate 1/3 a Reeses last night so I suspect his tiny stash will last a while. I don't really know when to give it to him, need to talk to DH about that so we're consistent.

Our leftovers (DH bought 4 bags we didn't even open) will probably last a year. We just finished the 2 boxes of candy he bought for us to smuggle into the movies for Revenge of the Sith.

I like the Halloween Fairy idea - will run it past DH but suspect since our folks let us keep our candy, we'll probably let DS keep his and just regulate how much he eats each day, again, not a big deal this year, but a plan for when he starts getting sizable amounts.

Tondi G
11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
we eat a little... I'll probably send the rest into work with DH! Last year we made a deal with DS that he could trade us the bag of candy for a toy or DVD of his choice (something under 20 bucks)... he was happy with that last year!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Alys the Cat
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I actually got the idea from our friends down the street. Their kids (age 2 and 4) play with DS a lot, so I figured it would fly if we were all on board! Again, DS hasn't really eaten candy, so he doesn't feel like he's missing out on anything. I'm not sure if this will be practical for the next 10 years, but it worked great yesterday. :)

The candy is hidden for now, but I've gotta get it out of the house (my office or DH's) soon. I have zero chocolate willpower!

thomma
11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Ds didn't want to go trick or treating (afraid of the dark phase) and we only brought dd to about 10 houses...so not a lot of candy here. Dd shared her loot with ds and they get to choose one piece each day until it's gone.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

jenmcadams
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I just took your idea -- thanks! While we didn't keep it to less than $20, the $40 we just spent on a Baby Alive doll at WalMart (Abbie's latest obsession) seems worth it to me to get the candy out of the house.