PDA

View Full Version : Oxford, Ohio?

candybomiller
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I know that there are either some people who have gone to Miami U or are going. My dh is interviewing with them tomorrow and I would love to know a little more about the area, the University, etc.

tylersmama
11-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I went to Miami, graduated in '98. Not sure what kind of info you are looking for... It's an absolutely beautiful campus(we actually got married on campus), and I have nothing but great memories of my time in Oxford. The town is great, although it has undergone many, many changes since I graduated. I loved that it was a small town (the population doubles when the students arrive in the fall), but yet it's close enough to Cincinnati that you can easily get your city fix when you need it. The university has some great benefits for employees (my freshman roommate's father worked in facilities, and she got free tuition).

Let me know what kind of specifics you are looking for, and I'll do my best to answer!

candybomiller
11-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't know if you'll know this since you were there as a college student, but is it a good town to raise a child in? Is it safe? Friendly? Am I going to have to buy a gun??

tylersmama
11-02-2006, 01:47 AM
My impression of Oxford was always that it was pretty safe. At least when I was a student, I don't remember hearing/reading about much crime or violence in town. The stuff you usually hear about mostly relates to students and drinking (fights uptown after the bars close, sexual assault, etc.) and I'm sure is similar to what you find near any major college campus.

I would think it would be a pretty good place to raise a child. The schools were decent when I was there, and the opportunities related to having the university there are great (like the arts, figure skating/hockey at the ice arena, youth soccer, etc.). Many of my professors were raising families and seemed to be pretty happy with Oxford. For the most part, it's a very friendly town, although I admittedly didn't have very much contact with any one not affiliated with the university in some way.

HTH, at least a little, and let me know if I can answer anything else for you!

JenDC
11-02-2006, 02:38 AM
I spent one year of college there and really hated the extremely conservative/Greek system environment of the school. I actually had professors who encouraged me to transfer elsewhere! Oxford has a small college-town feel to it. Meaning that it is pretty insular and has the typical issues of college towns, like parking, etc. One of my fiends there was the daughter of profs and she felt that it was a safe but boring place to grow up- as someone who grew up in college towns myself, I'd say that's probably a good assessment. It is a pretty town with lots of lovely older homes. It is an easy drive to get into Cinci for more civilization.

Jen
mom to Shoshana 3.29.06

MartiesMom2B
11-02-2006, 07:32 AM
One of my good friends from highschool went to Miami of Ohio too and graduated in '98. I don't know if the school is small enough that you would know her though. She was on the women's rugby team.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

DrSally
11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey! I went to grad school there for 6 years (Ph.D.). It is a very picturesque town, classic college brick Georgian blds, lots of trees, pretty. I like small college towns b/c you get the small town feel with lots of amenities. Rents are very reasonable--we had a 2 BR townhouse for $485/mo at first and it was $525 I think when we left. There are lots of good restaurants in town, and for more to do there's always Cincinnati. The drive is a bit of a hassle, as you are on a small highway for awhile to get anywhere, but it's accessible. You'd fly into the Northern Kentucky Airport (or Indianapolis). Let's see, Greek society is big there, it's fairly homogeneous in population--a lot of upper/middle class Caucasian kids, so not the most diverse place. What dept. is he interviewing with. If you end up going further in the process, let me know I would love to share my knowledge of the area for restaurants and things to do. BTW, there is a "true" Gap outlet by the airport that has $10 jeans and such. I got a ton of clothes there.

ETA: I see you are asking about raising children. I worked in the Talawanda schools as a therapist for a year and they are fine. I think most of the profs were happy to be raising children there, but they sent them to the McGuffey private school. I would feel perfectly safe raising my children in Oxford. I agree with PP, that most of the crime is student related stuff. Unfortunately, it can be a somewhat intolerant place as pp stated as well. A gay student was severly beaten with a baseball bat. I had one person yell racial slurs at me while out for a walk (not a student), but that can (and has) happen anywhere.

tylersmama
11-02-2006, 12:30 PM
>One of my good friends from highschool went to Miami of Ohio
>too and graduated in '98. I don't know if the school is small
>enough that you would know her though. She was on the women's
>rugby team.
>

It's definitely possible...it's one of those campuses where you tend to see people everywhere even though it's a pretty big school. I don't remember knowing any women's rugby players, but if she was a PHS (phys.ed, health, and sports studies) major, I would probably at least recognize her if I saw her!

I was an athletic training major, but women's rugby is a club sport and at that time, we didn't cover any club sports except synchronized skating (which became a varsity sport while I was there anyway).

tylersmama
11-02-2006, 12:33 PM
BTW, there is a "true"
>Gap outlet by the airport that has $10 jeans and such. I got
>a ton of clothes there.

The Gap outlet rules! I never went there while I was in school, but MIL took me this summer when DH and I took DS back to Ohio to introduce him to all the relatives. It's actually a "clearance center" and you have to have the patience to wade through endless racks of stuff, but I got 5 things for DS and a pair of capris for me, all for $35! I could have done more damage, but DS had had enough of the stroller! :)

apriltwinmom
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I also went to college there, and taught at the local high school after graduating for a year (waiting for my dh to graduate, he was on the 5 year plan, lol). The town is beautiful, the campus is absolutely gorgeous. It's changed since I graduated ('92) a LOT, but still is a very pretty place. I will agree with the PP that the local school are very fair, but I'd have felt more comfortable with my dc's at the private school only because it is more challenging academically. It's a great town, very close to a lot of great places, and Cinci is a lot of fun too.

GL!!!! :) Rachel

DrSally
11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I had 6 years to go on a regular basis, so I have a ton of stuff. One of the best deals were 2 banana republic suits for $10 each ($5 for each separate). I think there were still tags on and I just had them drycleaned to be sure! I miss that place.