PDA

View Full Version : how to word "no kids" on a sip n see invite?

Mommy_Again
11-01-2006, 10:28 PM
I am throwing a sip and see for a friend, and we want to state on the invitation that it should be adults only, because her baby will only be three weeks old and she is afraid of germs. I can't think of a way to word it so it wont be tacky or rude. I was trying to come up with a lighthearted rhyme...any suggestions?

ETA: a few things I came up with quickly. They are rough and need work. I don't necessarily need to do a rhyme, I was just trying to "soften" the blow.

"Kids love company, but newborns are best left alone
Just in case of germs, please leave your little ones at home"

When Baby K gets a older, we'll arrange a time to play
But she's still a little newborn, so please keep your kids at bay"

mamalia
11-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I like the wording of the first one because it seems gentler. But wouldn't the adults have the same germs as their children?

Malia

Piglet
11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Honestly... I think they are both a bit rude :( Sorry to rain on the parade. I think that making it into a rhyme might actually make it sound too aloof or incondsiderate. I would rather see "ADULTS ONLY PLEASE*" with a little asterisked note on the bottom of the invitation that says, "*We would really love to see you and your kids, but because the baby is so little, we would kindly ask that you leave kids at home for fear of spreading germs".

sidmand
11-02-2006, 07:25 AM
I think I agree with Marina and like her suggestion. I'm not sure the rhymes set the right tone—I think just coming out and saying it sounds a bit better.

And it's true that the adults may have the same germs, but usually adults know not to hug and kiss and touch the baby if they're sick, and kids don't have the impulse control necessary!

FWIW, after our Sip & See, DS got conjunctivitis! He was 7 weeks old and we had it outside in a park and most of the time I thought my step-mother had him kind of isolated sleeping, but I guess not. Boy did Mama guilt set in then (probably hormones didn't help either). "My baby wouldn't have gotten sick if I didn't have 95(!) people at his Sip & See..."

Ah well...

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

Jenn98
11-02-2006, 07:33 AM
What if you worded the invitation like this: Say, the parents names are John and Chris and you wrote "John and Chris, Now that our family has grown by one, Come and join us for some fun! We'd love to see the two of you on Saturday, Nov 4 beginning at 2pm. Please RSVP by......" Maybe if you address it directly to the parents they might get the hint, like a wedding invite, that no kids are allowed?

VClute
11-02-2006, 07:37 AM
I think the 1st rhyme is lovely, but I also think a little line saying "adults only" would be plenty. I've been invited to parties (not sip and sees, though - I don't think they do those here.) where the line was "Adults only, please. Nurslings (or "Babes in arms") welcome."

I went to a children's playgroup recently where a woman with a 5-month old told me to please keep my toddler away from her baby. I wasn't offended, but a little perplexed. She has a toddler at home, and she's nursing, so what's the big deal? And why bring your baby to a play group for toddlers if you don't want the baby being around toddlers?

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

lizajane
11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
i would probably go with "adults only, due to cold season." i hate the whole adults only thing on any invite, but i think this one is really important. the adults may have the same germs at the kids, but adults are better at washing hands, covering their mouths to sneeze, knowing that you don't touch the baby's face, hands, etc...

mommy111
11-02-2006, 08:02 AM
That's a great idea...adults only d/t cold season. Very matter of fact and not at all rude.

fredsmom
11-02-2006, 10:50 AM
My favorite is "we would love to see your children, so bring lots of pictures."

apriltwinmom
11-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I have to remember that!

TFS! :)

tarynsmum
11-02-2006, 06:26 PM
heeheehee. That's awesome!

Mommy_Again
11-02-2006, 10:28 PM
we've decided not to say anything on the invite and just spread it word of mouth for those who can't figure out not to bring kids around a newborn. It just nags at me as distasteful to put it on the invite. thanks for all the feedback though!

Piglet
11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Good call! I was just thinking about this last night in the shower (don't ask why it popped into my head). I got to thinking that it would probably be most tactful to just mention it to people directly and not on the invite. For one, your friend will likely keep a copy of the invite for her memory book and years later I think it would stand out as a bit distateful. Also, I think that it might be easier to explain all the ins and outs verbally (i.e. babes in arms are okay, snotty toddlers not so much).

Have a great time!