PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cysts?

bostonsmama
11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
At my annual exam today my doctor found two lumps she believes to be cysts. But when I started asking questions, she didn't really seem to have a lot of answers. She's just a family practitioner, not an OB/GYN, so all of my questions about my pregnancies, hormones, fertility treatments, etc were met with shrugs of the shoulder and a vague "possibly." I actually didn't even learn what cysts were until I googled them. Basically, she told me not to worry about them, even though I have a family history of breast cancer. And that's fine, I don't think it's cancer at all (and my research online so far indicates that women with cystic breasts aren't necessarily at an increased risk for breast cancer...unless they have a family history). So, when I told my friend who is a nurse, she said even though I'm relatively young, I should demand a mammogram AND ultrasound. I put a call into the doctor and asked to have these tests/referrals ordered, so we'll see what happens, but I'd like to know if I'm jumping the gun here or what. I just wish I could talk to a doctor who would put my fears at ease and tell me about WHY I shouldn't worry. Unfortunately, even if I get these tests, I still won't have access to a doctor who will be able to tell me about them in an intelligent manner. I guess I'm just frustrated (not to mention my husband who is freaking out b/c his aunt just had a mastectomy due to advanced breast cancer).

So, does anyone know if the breast cysts could be related to my last pregnancy? How about fertility treatments? Was I right to request a mammogram? I have read that in denser breast tissue (as is often found in younger women's breasts) that mammography can be of little value in seeing these lumps/cysts, that ultrasound is much more accurate. Any thoughts? And what next? Do they just go away? If anyone knows of any resources for good information on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Larissa

Moneypenny
11-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Sorry you're going through this. My mom has lots of cysts in her breasts. They come and go. A mammogram was never recommended because, as you said, they are of little value, espcially when you have as many lumps as my mom has. Every once in a while they will do a needle aspiration just to confirm a new lump is really a cyst, but that is all. My mom actually has cysts in other places as well, like her joints, and she had uterine cysts, too. I think she's just prone to cysts.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

dules
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Obgyn.net is a great resource.

I don't know how old you are but I had my first mammogram at the age of 29. I had a lump removed when I was 26. The doctor thought it was a cyst but when he tried to aspirate it (draw the fluid with a needle) it was solid. So instead of tracking/worrying/watching it year to year (totally NMS), I had it removed. Then we moved, switched insurance a few times, and I didn't get my followup until nearly 3 years later.

I had a repeat last year, although I should have gone when I was 35.

With all our injectible cycles (I've don't remember anymore but there were at least 4 pre-IVF) the only cysts I had trouble with were ovarian. Don't know if the stims can cause breast cysts though.

I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me I'd follow up with a mammogram and also talk with a doctor (OB/GYN or surgeon) about how to follow/what to watch for in terms of changes in the cysts.

Good luck.

Mary

maestramommy
11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
So sorry you're going through this! My mom has cysts, and her OB keeps checking them, but so far there's no problem. My sister has had cysts and also has fibroid tumors, so she needs to have regular mammos now. However, sometimes as you said, the density of the tissue makes it hard to see, so she also has to have an US.

Is there anyway your OB can get access to the test results and go over them with you? I'm going on the the reasoning that you can't be too careful, but if anything at least it'll put your mind at ease.

icunurse
11-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I have been told by 3 docs now (including an RE, an internal med, and an ob/gyn) that I have cystic breasts. Hormones, including those in pregnancy and infertility treatments, can cause them to "flare up". Cysts tend to grow and shrink with your monthly cycle, but they may not completely go away. I have one that I keep an eye on, as it changes during my cycles, but it has never grown any bigger over several years. You can do things like cut back on caffeine intake and other things (just google for cystic breasts). You might want to ask your RE about it, as he/she may have noticed it and just never mentioned it to you. From what I have been told, besides the fluctuating size, to the trained hand, cysts and lumps just feel different, too.
Traci
~Mom to DS 02/2004~
Hoping, waiting...

megs4413
11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Hugs, Larissa! this must be frustrating....

i woudl think any number of things you've gone through recently could be the cause of these cysts...i don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an u/s and if having a mammogram will make you feel better go ahead and do it. learn to give yourself a good self exam and keep your eye on what you feel...i have cystic breasts...my breasts are lumpier at different points in my cycle and caffeine makes the problem worse. i don't think you have anything to worry about, but there's no harm in having some tests done to be sure....although i think i woudl hold off on the mammogram (YOUCH!)....

good luck!

sdoyle
11-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Larissa-

First off, big hugs, I know how scared you must be. I had cysts in my breasts diagnosed by an ultrasound just about 2 mo. ago- bad week. I don't know how old you are but do know that from what I read and what my Dr said, for my age (31) an ultrasound was preferred. If it were me, I would request one from the Dr.

At the outpatient radiology place I went to my ultrasound was actually performed by a radiologist who found all the cysts I pointed out while I watched and showed me they were fluid filled (black) instead of solid (white). She also gave me some great info on my new "cystic" breasts and self exams that really made me feel at ease mainly because I felt knowledgeable by the end of the visit like I was back in control. I'm not sure where you are located, but I'd be happy to give you some info regarding my outpatient rad place if it would help (I'm in VA) or answer any questions you may have if you want to e-mail me.

Hope all turns out well and you get the answers you need soon. Take care!!

Stacy

heytootsy
11-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Let me start by saying I have a long family history of breast cancer. When I was 25, I found a lump. I demanded a biopsy, and it was fine. Did I jump the gun, I don't think so.

Then...my 26 year old cousin also found a lump. After battling with her OB, she got a mammogram, they told her that it was a tumor and probably nothing and to keep an eye on it. She insisted on a biopsy (which she also had to fight for). Stage 3 breast cancer. She is now living her last few days of life because the cancer was so agressive (and this is after a double masectomy and chemo and radiation.) She will not make it to her 30th birthday.

So...You be the judge, Doctors told her it most likely was nothing and were not interested in persuing. It is better to be safe than sorry.