PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift help needed quickly

mommyoftwo
11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
My DH is going to be in a wedding on Saturday. He leaves tomorrow for the wedding. Money is extremely tight right now so we can't afford much for a gift due to the expense of being in the wedding (we can't even afford for all of us to go). Anyway, I need something in the $20 range that can be carried on a plane. I know this is the last second, but this kind of snuck up on us with my grandma's funeral and everything and we just realized that we forgot about a gift. They didn't register for much and got just about everything they did register for. The things left are too big to carry on a plane. So please give me some ideas. I have to buy a gift tonight. Help please!

JBaxter
11-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Isnt it ok to sent a wedding gift up to 1yr after the wedding? I think I remember reading that somewhere. It would buy you a month or two to find a special gift to send.

urquie
11-02-2006, 06:42 PM
a nice picture frame (for one of their wedding pics) would be easy to pack in a suitcase.

a chenille throw blanket - if they registered for bedding or linens you could get something that matches.

a flower vase.

kitchen hand towels and potholders.

scoop22
11-02-2006, 06:50 PM
we live near wine country so we always do a basket with wine and some towels and we invite them to come and do a wine tour. but since wine can't travel...

table cloth
place settings
towels (we got two towels with our name embroidered on it)
LOVE IT. if you know someone who does that.
hand towels
candy dish with candy (or without)
seasonal decoration
candle sticks

good luck
love to picture frame idea

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

elizabethkott
11-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Oooh! Do they celebrate Christmas? You could do a couple of themed ornaments with one as "Our First Christmas Together"... I believe Crate and Barrel had something like that last year at this time.

KrisM
11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Would your DH have time to run in and get something once he's there? If there is something left on the registry that you'd like, I'd call the store and tell them you'll get it on Friday night or whatever and ask if they'll remove it from the list for you.

Also remember that you shouldn't wrap the gift here or he might be unwrapping at security.

saschalicks
11-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Candles (I just bought one for my bro's engagement party and they loved the scent)
Picture Frames
Stationary with the letter of their last name

I agree w/PP you have plenty of time to send one. I was/am tight on money and I sent my really good friend a wood picture frame with thier names and wedding date from this website: www.engravingwiz.com I have some of his stuff too and I love it. He is also a wonderful person to work with.

HTH

kochh2
11-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I've been there done that... we had 3 weddings in 4 weeks this summer, it was crazy, and I felt better once i realized that the one year rule applies... you have one year to buy a gift and one year to get a TY note!! I explained my situation to my friends and they were understanding... It gives us a chance to find that nice gift without jumping to buy something expensive just becasue of time constraints... that said, if you have your hearts set on bringing something, how about some nice holiday ornaments, as PP said.... also, if they are honeymooning, a nice book about where they are going, or even a few, or maybe you could getthem a night of dinner (takes some researching i suppose) for while they are on their honeymoon, or even some place near where they live, that wa s nice gift we got... perfect for our first Valentines day together!!
HTH!!
:)

mommyoftwo
11-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Great site Candice. I'll definitely get things from there in the future. Unfortunately, I have to have something for the wedding because this couple isn't very up on etiquette and the groom's mother especially will be offended if we don't bring a gift. I found a first christmas ornament at things remembered that is on sale and was able to order it over the phone. I'm picking it up in the morning on my way to meet my DH at the hospital. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It really helped and I didn't even have to leave the house tonight.

ETA: BTW, you have just helped me figure out what I'm doing for an anniversary gift this year. I always give the traditional gift and this year is our fifth (wood). My DH loves having pictures in frames so it couldn't be more perfect.

saschalicks
11-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm so glad I could help out :D