PDA

View Full Version : Where do you sell you used baby gear?

kayte
11-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I am pretty sure I want to get rid of our gear locally, instead of eBay. Is it better to sell it in lots on Craigslist or take it in one big swoop to a local consignment shop. I bet the consignment shop is less money but also less hassle. I have everything from bassinet to bottles.

What experiences have you had? Are there somethings worth selling through one avenue (like eBay)?

TIA

trumansmom
11-02-2006, 09:42 PM
We did the consignment route. I figured I was paying for the convenience.

I did do a bunch of stuff earlier on ebay. I definitely made better money, but it was time consuming.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kellyotn
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
eBay is time consuming, but the money can be much, much better depending on the item. I'd at least run a search on completed items for certain expensive and easy to mail things.

I had a large garage sale with my sister. We advertised it on Craigslist and had tons of people come and buy. We made about $1400. People emailed before and after the sale, inquiring about listed things. I did sell a couple hundred BEFORE the sale that way. We had so much clothing it was insane. We hung very nice or name brand stuff up and had a price on pieces individually. Other stuff we sold 6 items for $5. It was all just spread out over blankets on the lawn, worked out really well.

Then, the popular things that didn't sell I put on eBay. I made a lot more money on eBay than its offering price was at the garage sale. I had an AngelCare monitor that I had listed for $30 at the garage sale. Sold for $75 on eBay.

The things I was just tired of looking at I donated. I didn't want to deal with putting single items up on Craigslist. Just sounded like a lot of work for what was left. In total, it probably would have added up, but $5 here and $15 there just sounded too annoying.

Then, somehow, the remaining toys and clothing have bred since August and I feel back to square one!!

kayte
11-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. We are not allowed to have a garage sale in our neighborhood, unfortunately.

I think maybe I will try some easier to mail items on eBay and see how they do. I think I'll take the larger items to Kid to Kid and see what they say.

kg

emilyf
11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I've had decent luck selling gear on Craig's list, but I pretty much donate all my clothes. Even really nice things didn't sell either there or at the consignment store. The things that did sell on consignment I got so little money for it wasn't really worth it.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

kellyotn
11-03-2006, 09:36 AM
That sounds like a good plan. I've made some surprising money on some eBay things. People are just a bit crazy sometimes! :) Nice pocket money for the holidays, etc.

almostamom
11-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I sold the "gear" on craigslist (the eurotub was the only item that didn't sell). I generally take clothes to Kid to Kid if it's not a name brand. I sell name brand cloting on ebay or swap.