PDA

View Full Version : christmas ideas for grandma to give a 2 year old boy?

lizajane
11-03-2006, 10:23 AM
i am at a loss. dylan just isn't really into any specific thing. i can't think of a toy ($30-40) that he would really want. he certainly doesn't NEED anything. i thought maybe the little people nativity scene, but really it would suit schuyler better. everything i think of would be taken over by schuyler.

dules
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
What about a magazine? DD loves getting mail. There is the Ladybug/Babybug group and also Highlights is launching a new mag for the 2-6 set.

Mary

shilo
11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
what about a membership or just day passes for a local childrens museum, aquarium, activity center, etc? books? what about a "day with mom, without schuyler" gift cert? in other words, grandma takes schuyler for the day so dylan gets some mommy one on one time?

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Moneypenny
11-03-2006, 02:10 PM
That's a good idea! We just suscribed to the new Highlights, but haven't received it yet (I don't think the first issue comes out 'til year end, but don't quote me on that).

Maybe a bunch of little things like coloring books & crayons, sticker books and stickers, tub toys & those tub crayons, etc.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

lizajane
11-03-2006, 03:11 PM
my sister already got them highlights. i am VERY excited! schuyler will love it. i made her promise not to get dylan another gift, just to call it a joint gift.

lizajane
11-03-2006, 03:11 PM
i like the art box idea. dylan loves stickers these days. my kids are marker snobs, but maybe some crayola wonder stuff!!

lizajane
11-03-2006, 03:13 PM
i would LOVE a museum membership, but it would really be more about me and schuyler than about dylan. i do love the idea of having her come visit and watch schuyler all day. she watches them both when she comes to help out. but it never occured to me to let her take schuyler so i can go out with only dylan. he is getting to that age where it will start to mean a lot more to him to do kid stuff with mommmy one on one. being the second kid, he never really notices that BOTH kids are at the park, etc. but i think he would go nuts to have me all to himself, and not just grocery shopping. thanks for the tip!

oliviasmomma
11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Is there anything Schuyler has that Dylan could have too? (Okay--that was awful wording, but it's been a long week!) Like his own chair? Sometimes it is nice to have your own toy--even if the older sib already has one. Walker wagon? Ball maze? ride-on toy? If Schuyler already has one he'll be less likely to take over Dylan's.

Tondi G
11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
How about a Zoo Memebership?

Art Supplies are always a safe choice.... paints/watercolors/brushes, washable markers and crayons, paper, colorwonder sets, stickers, glitter glue...

Do you have an easel already?

Do you let him watch tv? Is there a DVD he might like that you don't have???

How about Musical instruments??? this one is cute

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1162591615/ref=sr_1_1/602-0490901-6376652?ie=UTF8&asin=B000068E6D

We run into the same problem here. Mason has SOOO much stuff that Aidan is just happy to play with. He LOVES cars and trucks but he has so much to play with already that Mason got as gifts.... does he NEED another truck or train... not really! I "may" get them a car parking garage for Christmas to share! Same thing with books.... we have so many books already but I am always happy to get new ones cause books are never wasted.... but their bookshelves are getting pretty full!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

lizajane
11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
i love that little instrument set. but my ADD 3 year old would make me craaaaaaaaa-zzzzzzzzzy with it!!! lol!!! poor dylan. and now my parents are asking for ideas... i wish i could just tell them that dylan wants college for christmas. that just isn't there style. they are very "gift to open" kinda people.

shilo
11-04-2006, 02:15 AM
glad to help. my mom used to do this a few times a year for each of us, but more so for my younger sister, because she really thrived on it. i would get a much wanted all day play date with friends or the park with dad, etc. and my baby sister would get mom all to herself for the day. worked well for both of us, but over time, i really think it meant A LOT to my sister.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.