PDA

View Full Version : Sonic or Oral B...what kind of electric toothbrush is best????

daisy1234
11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
My mom wants an Electric Toothbrish for christmas? I read some reviews on amazon and I am a bit overwhelmed...anyone have one that they would recommend? Also...where to get the best deal??? I have sticker shock on the brush heads at 12 bucks each!!! Thanks!!!

Laura

c914
11-05-2006, 02:30 PM
I have the sonicare elite and have been happy with it - got mine through the dentist though (at cost) - and they also offer discounts on the replacement heads. Yes the replacement heads are $$ - but its only 2 x a year that you really "have" to replace them. Once in a while you can catch the brush heads on sale at Walgreens or Target (where I've gotten a 2 pack replacement package for ~$20) and I've seen also them priced reasonably at Sam's.
Xmas season should be a good time to find a deal on whichever brush you choose. FWIW my FIL is a DDS and they use the Sonicare too.
Carla

bubbaray
11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
My denist recommends the Sonicare. We have it and have been happy with it.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

dr mom
11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I asked the exact same question last year: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=280518&mode=full

I bought the Oral B (I happened to find an older model that was being clearanced at Target) and have been perfectly happy with it. After a year of daily use in our family of three, it's still going strong. Good thing, too, because in a moment of thoughtlessness, I scheduled DS for a dentist appointment last Wednesday...yup, the morning after Halloween and a massive candy binge...what was I thinking? :P

Oregonmother
11-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I'll send it to the firt person to pm me. It must be postmarked no later than 12/32/2006. Good on the Sonicare Elite, Essence, or Advance.

stefani
11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I had an old Sonicare (the new one I heard is better). When I had to replace it I got an Oral-B (this was a couple of months ago). I have been very happy with the new Oral-B, and I like it better than the old Sonicare. BIL and his wife like their new Sonicare though, so it might be a toss.

O yes, bought mine from Costco.

stefani
11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I had an old Sonicare (the new one I heard is better). When I had to replace it I got an Oral-B (this was a couple of months ago). I have been very happy with the new Oral-B, and I like it better than the old Sonicare. BIL and his wife like their new Sonicare though, so it might be a toss.

O yes, bought mine from Costco.

shilo
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
it really is just a matter of preference according to my dentist. so we have both. i use the oral B and DH uses the sonicare. i have a really small jaw, so i don't like big toothbrush heads (even compact heads on standard toothburshes feel big to me), and the sound the sonicare makes is like nails on a chalk board to me (i don't like to be in the same room when my DH is using his). he, on the other hand says he feels like the spinning on the oral B irritates his sensative gums, so he's really happy with the sonicare. not much help, unless you know she prefers smaller or larger toothbrush heads, and whether or not she has sensative gums or ears.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
it really is just a matter of preference according to my dentist. so we have both. i use the oral B and DH uses the sonicare. i have a really small jaw, so i don't like big toothbrush heads (even compact heads on standard toothburshes feel big to me), and the sound the sonicare makes is like nails on a chalk board to me (i don't like to be in the same room when my DH is using his). he, on the other hand says he feels like the spinning on the oral B irritates his sensative gums, so he's really happy with the sonicare. not much help, unless you know she prefers smaller or larger toothbrush heads, and whether or not she has sensative gums or ears.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

bostonsmama
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I just called my dentist and he's going to send me a brochure with mail-in-rebate (which is awesome b/c I don't even have to drive 30 min to pick it up). Costco has a two-pack right now of the Sonicare Elite 9650 for $119 (although only one charger). We're excited to get it. When I was pregnant I went to the dentist and he noticed a little pregnancy gingivitis with a patch of redness and a girlfriend who was also pregnant at the time recommended it. She said it's so awesome she feels like she got a dentist's cleaning every time she uses it. Anyways, just wanted to post my thanks!

Larissa