PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Keyboard?

JoyNChrist
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
So when I was in college, I spilled a...umm..."soft drink" on my laptop. It didn't seem to harm it too bad - the semicolon key just stopped working. Not a big deal, so I've lived with it all these years.

Well, a few days ago DH spilled Dr. Pepper on it. Just a little bit actually got on the keyboard, but now the up key doesn't work and a few other keys are really hard to use (question mark, period, and backspace).

Is there some way I can take it apart and clean it to make it work again, or am I going to have to break down and bring it to a computer shop? (We only have one computer place in town, and they take forever to get anything done, so I'm really not wanting to take it there as I'd be without a computer for weeks.)

Oh, it's a Dell Inspiron 8600.

TIA!

elephantmeg
11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
DH who works with computers says to either plug in an external keyboard and that it will probably need a new keyboard componant to make it work so it will neccesitate a trip to see your computer doctor/buy a new laptop. Office depot has a laptop for $300 if you check their weekly special (can you tell that we looked closely at it?).

HTH. That has to be frustrating!

kellyotn
11-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I've replaced two Dell keyboards. Its really easy. Look at that top "strip" above the F1, F2 keys. That's removeable. Its one part with the two hinge covers. Mine had two screws on the back (back where the plug in ports are), remove those screws. Then, lay the screen all the way back flat and pry the "strip" off. There's a little notch on the right side, use a flat head screwdriver. It should come out pretty easy. If it doesn't, make sure you've removed the right screws.

Then, three screws hold the top of the keyboard in place. Remove them, then the keyboard, there's a plug-in at the bottom (where spacebar is). Unplug carefully.

I got my replacement under warranty from Dell for mine, my brother's I bought off eBay for $30 new.

But, before the buying a new one for my brother, I found on some "how to" site to try just removing it and soak it in water. (Keep the plug-in out of the water.) I soaked it for about 20 minutes (the site said an hour). Then remove it, rinse it with warm/hot water, shake it out and use a hair dryer for awhile to get the bulk of the water out. Leave it out for a day if you can. Then, plug it back in and try it. It worked about 75% for me, brought back most of the sticky keys, but I was too lazy to try again (especially for my brother!), so I bought a new keyboard off eBay.

I can't remember the site I found that on, maybe eHow? About? Something like that.

Or, if its just a few keys, pop them off and see if you can clean them with alcohol and a Qtip. They just pry off. Then to put them back on, just center them on the little "plunger" deal (you'll see what I mean) and push down. They just click back in place if lined up right. Take one off at a time, so you don't get confused!

Dell or someother How To sites can probably walk you through the removal procedure with pictures. :) Its really not hard.

Lovingliv
11-05-2006, 10:00 PM
When the baby spit up on the keyboard of my laptop, I didn't think anything of it. Well, a couple of days later it stopped working. DH (in IT) took it apart, and asked me "what is this white stuff honey?" When i said I wasn't sure, he told me to smell it. Oops, I guess it is spit up.

I killed the hard drive.....

my dh said if it happened again to shut it off until he could take it apart and dry it!

daisymommy
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Okay, you are going to laugh--but I took a computer repair course awhile back, from a lady who used to work for Microsoft. She said if you ever spill a soda onto your key board, to wrap the plug in a sandwhich bag, and seal with duct tape, then stick it in the DISHWASHER! I kid you not. She says it works nearly everytime and it's safe. I've never tried it, but I 'll never forget her saying that. I guess if you are already thinking of tossing it out, it couldn't hurt to try!