PDA

View Full Version : Please forgive me. Any Days of our Lives fans out there?

Fairy
11-07-2006, 01:14 AM
I can't take it anymore. I've fought it for months. But now that Steve & Kayla are back, I came running back like a lame-ass wet noodle 12 years later. Interestingly, I was able to pick it right back up . . .

Forgive me, but I think I need an intervention. Here's the deal. I have memories of watching Days at the age of 4 when my mother was an avid watcher; not that I was interested, but I do remember Scott Banning screaming at Julie, and there was the stove blowing up in her face. Cut to age 11 when out of nowhere -- I honestly have no idea how it happened -- I became obsessed with Days all on my own, my mom was out by then. Deidre Hall was my everything. Some people had Bon Jovi and Duran Duran and Adam Ant on their walls. Me? I had Days of our Lives cast members covering my walls. Deidre this, Deidre that, Deidre, Deidre, Hope. Then came Steve & Kayla, and that was the be-all and end-all. I'm telling you, I was on the train in Chicago, and I saw a photography studio ad that used the wedding photo of the actress playing Kayla, Mary Beth Evans. Only someone as pathetic as me who read Soap Opera Digest and knew what her real life wedding photo looked like (which was gorgeous) would know that. I thought to myself, I think this is weird. Then Steve & Kayla died and/or didn't die and/or left the show, and Deidre was gone and Bo & Hope had sailed off into the sunset, and suddenly there was this ridiculous storyline where they burried Carly alive, and I was already out of college, and I said, ya konw what, I'm out. That was it, I turned it off like a switch, no regrets.

Cut to four months ago, which is about 10 or 12 years later, when I hear rumors that Steve & Kayla are coming back, and I'm like, come again? The first day Steve appeared on the screen, I knew I was DOOMED. Now, with Tivo I have it alot easier so that I can get thru the ep each day in about 10 minutes, as I just FF to only the stuff I care about. And if they put Steve with Billie one more nanosecond, I'm going to have a cow.

So, who else needs an intervention?

-- Fairy

chiqanita
11-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Sounds like you're in trouble 'sista'..; =) I'm not a Days fan but I grew up seeing my grandma watch her soaps: The Guiding Light and As the World turns...I think she also watched Edge of Night. A long time ago. I was a General Hospital fan during the whole Luke and Laura saga...loved it! I stopped watching when they left then started up again when they returned then stopped again when they split. Hadn't seen it in years. Last week I heard Laura was waking from a coma. They feel like 'family' to me. I was tempted but haven't caved. I think I'm cured. Hang in there...there is hope. No pun intended.

deenass
11-07-2006, 06:40 AM
I can make you feel better, I have subscriptions to Soap Opera Digest and Soap Opera Weekly, I find my life much more pleasant at 4 am (when I can't sleep) when I can watch a soap opera!!!!

I was a HUGE Days fan years ago and my interest was piqued when S & K returned ... and not only do I ahve TIVO, I have Soapnet too, so I can watch WAY too much tv!!!!!!

I will tell you, you missed Shane & Kim and Jen & Jack on your above list ... they were my faves!

But I still know all the words to "lady in red" and "the rose"!!!!

Fairy
11-07-2006, 09:03 AM
The Rose and Lady in Red? How about, "You may not know it, but you've been hurt by someone else. Try not to show it . . ." Absolutely pathetic.

I loved both Shane & Kim and Jack & Jen. I loved all the couples, but S&K and the original Roman & Marlena were sacred. In 1986, I began taping Days every day and keeping each one. I now have about 80 or so VHS tapes with Days eps on them. They've been at my parents' house all these years, and they finally said, we need the space, take your crap. So, I did, and I just can't seem to part with them. Dusty. I watched few of them a couple months ago, and to say they screamed '80s is an understatement. Ah, the good old days!

deenass
11-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Okay Fairy Lady ... you are my new best friend ... I have an audio tape of songs that I taped from soap operas in the 80's ... and I have about 100+ video tapes of old Days episodes that got dumped at my house when my parents moved out of my childhood home. DH & I just moved and guess what came with me!!! (I agreed to throw away Punly Brewster and WHo's the Boss episodes but not my soaps!!!)

I think you live in Chicago right? DH is from Highland Park, I think next time we go out there you and I are meeting up and watching some good old "DOOL" episodes!

Here's a quiz, do you know the next verse to this "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten"

kboyle
11-07-2006, 09:18 AM
you are not alone!!

my older cousins used to babysit me when i was about 5-11 and i grew up on DOOL.

i've been watching on & off most of my life, not religiously, but enough to keep up with most of the story lines, i started tivoing when i found out steve & kayla would be back....though you know what, kayla & daughter stefanie are really starting to annoy me :(

kim & shane were the best!! gotta love her multi-personalities!!

the whole "younger" crowd on the show was really making me not watch the show for a while, but i was hooked on the belle/shawn/clair scandal while it happened, now that it's all out, i'm losing interest again, if they put billie & steve together, or if kayla dies, i'll probably not watch it as an afternoon priority. i put the kids down & watch days, and then i'm back to my reg day...cleaning, cooking, etc. :)

HGraceMom
11-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I have an almost-addiction, but am becoming "cured" thanks to this site:

www.soapoperafan.com/days

They have spoilers, summaries, rumors, etc. & is usually VERY accurate.

DH laughs when he sees it in the history page on his work laptop... but I swear, it saves me 20 minutes watching the DVR every day!

Fairy
11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
OHMIGOD! I grew up in Deerfield and went to a Highland Park school for a short time. You tell me when you're here, and I'll make the time, sista! This is hysterical!

What lips my lips have kissed would be Shane & Kim. I cannot, however, finish the verse. I also know one liners here and there, like, "This is the true season of love, when we know ... somethin' or other ... that we alone can love" And then there's Bo & Hope celebratin' their love for each other. My two favorite songs are "If Your Heart Comes out Tonight," which is S&K's, and then "Here, There, and Everywhere," by the Beatles, which Liz sang when Tod died. See, I even know that this long-dead character who had not that much of a presence spelled his name with just the one D. It's wrong.

Fairy
11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Kayla will not die, but this Billie thing is gonna be a wrench, I just know it. I love the actress playing Stephanie, she is very believeable. However, yes, she's getting whiny. And can someone please remind not just her, but her mother, that Max is Stephanie's UNCLE. Yes, he's adopted. Who cares?! They need a new family so the Brady's can stop in-breeding.

The younger crowd is TOO young. We're now at a time in the show where you have people who've been grandparents a long time getting pregnant -- beyond realistic. Hope is realistic, she's only in her early to mid-40's. But marlena? NO. NO, no, no. She's in her mid 50's now not just as an actress, but as a character.

Willow must go.
Shawn went from good person to deadbeat in a day.
I'm the only person who likes Mimi

Is there a reason they won't pair Billie with Frankie, who happens to be her husband? Why do they have to make her Holly Homewrecker?

I'll stop.

Fairy
11-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I check it every day. I'm in so much freakin' trouble. I have another one for you. Stephen Nichols has a blog at TV Guide. Go to www.stephennichols.net, and there is a link to his blog from that site. He hasn't posted a new one in a while, but his blogs, and his photo gallery from the show -- his own snapshots -- are great!

maestramommy
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Ha ha! I started watching Days in college because all of my roommates were fans. I think I stopped watching entirely after about 4 years. Just last year when my MIL was here she was watching it and I was shocked that Marlena and John were together but being threatened by Roman! Same old runaround.

colleenfs
11-07-2006, 02:03 PM
EEK! I've watched on and off since the mid 80s as well. I tried to watch the other day after many months away from it, and I couldn't keep up!!

What is this with Steve and Billie? Ewww.
Who the HECK is EJ, and how did he get in good with Sami and the gang so quickly? (I missed his "debut.") Is he a DiMera?
What is up with the yunguns? Is there a new Shawn D? NOOO! Bad enough that I hate this NuBelle, now they get rid of Shawn too?

Annnnd,
Is EVERYONE pregnant?

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."

megs4413
11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I love Mimi and I think the shawn thing is just too weird for words....

i checked out a couple months ago when the actor who previously played Shawn left the show....suddenly in the middle of the episode it's this monkey looking dude i couldn't care less about....so i'm done!

and as far as steve and kayla go--that's the part of the show we always fast forward with TIVO! i grew up watching Sami and Austin and Shawn and Belle (Shawn and belle are my age) and they brought back these characters i've never even heard of...and i've been watching for over 10 years! so i really don't care about the show right now....

Fairy
11-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Ok, so here's the deal. Steve doesn't remember anything but Stephanie (and even that, he only remembers one snippet and that he loves her), not Kayla. As this person who is "him" but that remembers nothing of his life, he is falling for Billie, even tho he knows in his head he's supposed to love Kayla. Billie is being weak and home-wreckery by dating him, cuz she knows damn well he's gonna re-memify and drop her when he remmebers how much he loves Kayla. Meanwhile, I'm throwing up daily over this.

The EJ storyline I FF'd thru cuz I just didn't care, and I only began watching again about a month before SK came back so that I wouldn't miss them. But I believe he met Sami first and danced with her. What we know now is that he's a DiMera, not sure what generation or who sired him, and that he hates the Bradys. And that he blinks way the hell too much.

There is a new Shawn D, not sure why the original left. But there are alot of departures planned to happen between now and February, including the entire Lockhart family and Frankie. I like NuBelle, but that's cuz I never really knew old Belle -- stopped watching really before Belle was born. Now, I liked OldShawn, and I don't mind NuShawn, but I'd prefer OldShawn back.

Part of the issue is that there are alot of storylines backtracking, changing, or plain going away due to the new head writer, Hogan Sheffer. He's trying to wrap up alot of the younger storylines and move them in different directions, uncomplicate other stuff that was a mess when he inherrited it, bring back or focus on staple characters to re-ground the show and bring back a core fan base (like me) so that ratings can increase (cuz it was THISCLOSE to cancellation recently), and then bring in new characters so that the Bradys and the Hortons can stop sleeping with each other and creating in-breeding situations, necessitating people suddenly getting new parentage so that we don't have an ick factor.

I'm not proud.